main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Starkiller in Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by InterestingLurker, May 31, 2013.

?

Do you want Starkiller to appear in Star Wars: Rebels?

1. Yes

69 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No

115 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    The real reason they better not retcon Starkiller creating the Alliance (as infuriating as that plotline was to some) is because the Starkiller-Alliance plotline is LUCAS CANON. It came from George Lucas. Directly. Ex-Cathedra.

If Rebels retcons it, then they're basically saying "Yes, we can retcon Lucas material in Star Wars, and we will. If you don't like it, feel free to play a nice game of hide and go **** yourself".

And once that line has been crossed, ANYTHING ever seen in Star Wars is potentially on the chopping block. Try to think of the most sacred thing... I dunno, Vader being Luke's father. None of it is safe.

That is the reason why the Starkiller Rebel Alliance continuity must be preserved in Rebels. If it isn't, Rebels loses all credibility and IMHO would qualify as a self-retcon.

2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    It would also contradict RoTS. The ending laid potential seeds for the origin of the Rebel Alliance; I always interpreted the ending as Bail Organa being the father of the Rebel Alliance and Leia succeeding him in ANH.

TCW was canceled for political reasons. It was a giant middle finger to the Cartoon Network.

3. GreatBeyonder

GreatBeyonder Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2013

I find this post very peculiar in this day and age.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Retconned

VanishingReality likes this.
  4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Wow this show could completely destroy Prequel Canon. I'll reserve judgement though. And why couldn't Disney have just aired TCW on Disney XD? Did CN have full possession of the airing rights?

5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm not sure, but the decision to pull TCW was very sudden and one of the first things Disney decided to do. IMHO, it's pure politics.

I, too, will reserve my judgment. I am looking forward to the idea of a series set during the Dark Times, but I have my fears.

Darkslayer likes this.
  6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Oh for sure. Until proven otherwise, any Star Wars is good Star Wars [face_party]

7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Who gives a ****? In my eyes Lucas has diqualified himself long ago. Funnily enough, he is the one who retcons "Lucas material" all the time.

The OT is safe because it's the OT, not because of Lucas. Oh wait, the OT isn't safe because of him...

Theo333 and Force Smuggler like this.
  8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I think the movies are safe in this case because to Lucas, I'm quite sure that the Starkiller Rebel Alliance thing came from him saying something like "so this is just for some video game, right?". Official canon aside, I really doubt he thought it mattered much. I still think Rebels would be better off redoing that whole plot line, and would end up seeming more in sync with the movies if it did.

9. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    YES! YES! YES! Which means the ending to TFU2 is gone as well! YES!

11. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Ah, but I wanted to watch a show about Vader stalking Juno Eclipse and being the enemy of true love.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I might have been a bit premature so who knows. That would be interesting.

VanishingReality likes this.
  13. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Calling her "the woman!" attaining the perfect combinations of villain tropes being a large ham and politically incorrect.

14. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    I question the sanity and taste of anyone who thinks TFU's actual events and origins for the Rebels should hold any water besides a toilet bowl's. Let it burn.

Besides, Ol' George keeps going back and re-editing his "original vision" right? Who the hell cares at this point?

Darth_Pevra and VanishingReality like this.
  15. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Pablo's comment notwithstanding, GL himself said TFU was canon. I don't think Disney has the power to retcon stuff declared canon by GL.

So if Rebels totally ignores TFU and shows a different origin of the alliance, what we'll end up with isn't a retcon, it's just a mess. An unstoppable force meets an immovable object, and everyone suffers as epic carnage spreads around.

Unless they do something like "...and then Vader woke up. And he was like "you know master, I just had the weirdest dream... There was this guy called Galen Marek, and...""

16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Of course they have the power, George Lucas is only creative consultant and 2% in stocks don't buy him everything. You think Disney entered some slave-master agreement where they have to ask for permission? Not so.

17. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Disney didn't. GL himself did. From The Essential Reader's Guide (bolding mine):

18. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    What explanation was that? The Onderon thing?

Ok then. Lucas retconned himself. It wouldn't be the first time.

At least this one isn't remotely as painful as the Greedo idiocy. :)

19. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Best. Retcon. Ever.

(Also, is it weird to anyone else that they're retconning material on Twitter before a contradiction has arisen? I swear this should be a profound change in what "really" is canon in LFL's eyes, but I guess not.)

Contessa likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    TFU was so 2008, TCW Season 5 Onderon arc is the story now.

Lady_Misty and Darth_Pevra like this.
  21. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    It doesn't seem as if that part of the story came from Lucas, but that he merely approved it (as the excerpt I posted above indicated).

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    HEAR YE, HEAR YE! TWITTER TO REPLACE OFFICIAL STAR WARS SITE FOR ALL SW NEWS! NO MORE LONG, THOUGHT-OUT ARTICLES ON CANON AND NOW JUST TERSE 140-CHARACTER-OR-LESS COMMENTS! :p

Seriously, though, as I said elsewhere Pablo isn't the best person to listen to all the time. Now, if Leland Chee, AKA the guy officially in charge of keeping canon together, had made the tweet, it might have some credence. But as it stands, this comment has none. That, and this is hardly the first time he's made such a comment regarding continuity, only for it to be baseless.

Now that's not to say the TCW bonus material and/or Rebels won't validate this comment, but I highly doubt Pablo would so blithely hint at unreleased plot information like that. He's not one to make such an egregious oversight. And remember, TFU had Lucas as an overseer, so it was pretty damn official at the time. Does that preclude it from being overwritten? No, not by any means. But the important thing to consider is that the events of TFU take place nearly 20 years after the events of TCW, and about 2 years after Rebels (unless Rebels moves further down the timeline eventually). There is no contradiction, and no reason for there to be one.

Contessa, Mia Mesharad and Odolwa like this.
  23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yes, lets pretend the official Lucasfilm person knows less about Lucasfilm policy than we fans do. This is an absolutely reasonable position to take.

Darkslayer and VanishingReality like this.
  24. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Slice of canon turmoil is delicious.

25. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Ahsoka will become the new starkiller.