main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Well, apparently, the county's only (very limited) fixed-route transit service is getting cut next year. A nice big "screw you" to people without their own cars. The transit service was already pretty bad (no service to outlying communities), and serviced only certain areas in Gettysburg. Now it won't be operating at all.

So, basically, Gettysburg just went from practically nothing to absolutely nothing in terms of bus service.

Thanks. Thanks a lot. Go to hell, Transit Authority.

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Those bids aren't me, but I might have to check them out. I am tempted to get an Ackbar minifig just for the hell of it. The main thing I would love more of are Neb-B frigates, but they typically sold as singles.

--Adm. Nick

3. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Hurry up Barriss_Coffee, my reactions to the second episode of the third season of GOT are now online. Plots are moving same as always. "That bad huh?"

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Ladies and gentlemen, the Mon Remonda has arrived. :cool:

I will get some pics up of the combined armada this weekend.

--Adm. Nick

jSarek and Todd the Jedi like this.
  5. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I always loved josephb22's pics.

6. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    After seeing the new Hobbit movie, I would be satisfied by Evangaline Lilly playing Mara Jade in a movie.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I read on the wook' that -
    The Mrlssi illustration in Ultimate Alien Anthology differs noticeably from previous depictions, most notably in the presence of a beak and pupils. No canonical explanation for this has yet been provided, and all subsequent art of the species has followed with this depiction.​
    - do anybody know why they decided to use this new design instead of the old and tested one

8. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Grad school admission standards are depressing.

"Be all but fluent in Latin, Attic Greek, Italian, German, and French before we even look at your MA program application, unless you want us to laugh in your face and tell you to go flip burgers, you silly liberal arts major. Not fluent in Attic Greek? Here, take our post-bach course on it! Only 15k a year, which is almost as much as you owe the government for loans on 4 years of in-state college! Double your student debt in just 3 easy steps!"

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Saw Tangled for the first time yesterday, and saw Frozen today. Both were amazing films -- and both surprised me; I think Frozen may actually *gasp* be better.

lol oh yeah, I forgot about how they want you to know modern European languages too in order to read all the scholarships. Grad school for Classics/Philology basically has the same language requirements, plus an uber primary source reading list that they expect you to have already made it through in the original.

still, I have buyer's remorse and wish I would've just stuck with it :p

10. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    That's probably my one real regret about sticking with WVU once I switched to history- it's painfully evident that WVU is an engineering/health sciences university. We don't even touch Attic Greek anymore.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Can you test in if you don't have it on your transcript? Teach yourself. It's incredibly easy if you know Latin intimately, imo. I took to Greek like a duck to water (granted I've lost it all just as quickly). Honestly the hardest part is the alphabet, and you can get past that hurdle in a single weekend. After that it's just memorizing declension tables, verb tables, and different grammar rules -- nothing you haven't done before.

edit: by teach yourself I mean use a learning textbook obvs, but tbh the presence of an instructor is really not all that necessary

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I need to get on those.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm going to see Hobbit tomorrow, but I can't see how it could beat Frozen. Granted I'm not a book reader (although my book reading friends seem to be pissed at Hobbit, so who knows? Maybe I'll like it better than they did, since I was entertained by the first one well enough).

14. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009

I get the impression that I can test in, yeah. Part of the reason I'm taking a year or two off is to teach myself Attic Greek, probably Italian, brush up meine Deutsch, and make sure my Latin is up to snuff.

Still, it's positively terrifying.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    If you can afford to take the time to do that, treat it as an adventure. Greek is really fun to learn. I did some basic Italian (super simple stuff) the other day and it was also a ton of fun. Learning languages is great. Hell, I wish I had time to actually devote serious attention to it. As it is, I may settle for relearning Spanish since I have all the basic competencies still and having it on my CV will be a great boost. People are always awed by the Greek and Latin on my resume, but I have a feeling it's more for the "wow, that's different" than the "Wow, let's hire you" thing. Although I *am* always asked about it at interviews... so being memorable is good too.

Also after you learn Italian, play AC2 in Italian. Consider it your motivation.

Gorefiend likes this.
  16. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I originally thought that you were talking about a European guide to sex, then seguing into learning languages, rather than talking about said topic the entire time. Had to re-read this a few times.

Probably one good reason I shouldn't start reading thread updates backwards, from newest to last... I perhaps could get some sense of context ;)

Strange.

TrakNar likes this.
  17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The hell's the matter with you, man? Read The Hobbit. Forget the exercise in bloat and just read the book. Now. It'll take less time than watching the movies, too.

tjace, Point Given , RC-1991 and 2 others like this.
  18. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Can any tech people tell me why I cannot seem to make a link from my Dropbox work as an image? I click the "Insert/edit image" button and add the link, but the picture doesn't show.

--Adm. Nick

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
  21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't think Dropbox files are inherently "public". You can link someone to them, but not display them publicly.

Is my guess.

Edit: yeah, that's definitely not the URL of the file all by itself--that's why it's got the dropbox options around it. No idea how to distills the actual file from that, though.

22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Drat. Well, here is my link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/it67agyhy9eg6rp/IMG_0635.JPG

--Adm. Nick

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  24. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    How did you do that? Are you a wizard? :p

Behold the pride of the Mon Calamari!

--Adm. Nick

jSarek and darthscott3457 like this.
  25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I right-clicked on the "direct download" link and selected "copy link address", which is, therefore, the actual file.

Also, I am a wizard.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.