main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I think the idea was that these are the seeds of the Rebellion--small local insurgencies that may or may not be influenced by Jedi. I can see that being echoed in Rebels.

2. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    I guess the general idea does kind of relate to the rebellion. But really if they're going to tie in TCW era insurgencies to the groups that form the rebellion, I for one will have a really REALLY hard time suspending disbelief.

Similar concept sure, but same groups? (just MHO)

3. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    When he says the future, I get the sense that he's talking specifically about things that haven't been released yet all fitting into the same level of canon as the movies and TCW, while all of the current EU will essentially be discarded and mined for certain characters, planets, etc. (and maybe some plot lines) for inclusion into the new canon.

4. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    That's not the impression I get from it, but in both cases we may be projecting our own expectations onto the phrasing of it. He was answering the question 'what separates canon from the EU' so I would have thought that he was referring to the extant EU, but it may well be he was thinking of new stuff.

Either way though, its not an explicit statement one way or the other. More of a 'we'll tell you when we feel like it' kinda answer.

5. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm drawing my interpretation based on everything else he's said about it too though.

6. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    Personally, I don't think anything he's said has been explicit one way or the other (I did do a post analyzing all his tweets that someone collated but I can't find it). Maybe I'm missing something, or there's some implication that's Im supposed to get that i'm not. Or perhaps he really just hasn't officially said yet. IDK.

I just wish there would be one clear, concise announcement. I don't think that's asking a lot. They must know by now if the script is basically done.

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    On that note, it should be kept in mind that a ton of what was in TCW (especially in terms of planets) was mined from the EU on a basic level.

8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Delays can easily lead to a rush job. There is also the old german saying "Zu viele Köche verderben den Brei" meaning that if you have many people giving their input the end product will be rotten. I'm still optimistic, but I don't think they were doing things very professionally until now.

9. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    That's literally the same saying as the English proverb "Too many cooks spoil the broth".

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Ah yes, didn't know you had it too.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  11. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    More info from Pablo

1. Cad Bane@A_Targaryen@infinata is the start of the Rebel Alliance from TFU considered canon with the Rebels storyline? Or is TFU not canon at all?
      Details
    2. [​IMG]
      Pablo Hidalgo@infinata
      19h
      @A_Targaryen no. The TFU version isn't canon. The season 5 Clone Wars stuff is.
      Details
    3. [​IMG]
      Daryl Axia Brown@DarthAxia
      2h
      @infinata I know the EU and even things that were canon are no longer but is the EU going to be respected at all or just trashed?
      Details
    4. [​IMG]
      Pablo Hidalgo@infinata
      1h
      @DarthAxia Not trashed. But the definition of canon hasn't changed; what's on the screen always occupied a higher tier than the EU.
      Details
    5. [​IMG]
      Daryl Axia Brown@DarthAxia
      53m
      @infinata I know, but lucasfilm was always pretty tight with continuity and im afraid thats just out the window now
      Details
    6. [​IMG]
      Rebels Report@RebelsReport
      27m
      @DarthAxia @infinata Anything off screen has been "out the window" since 2008 - Andy
      Details
    7. [​IMG]
      Pablo Hidalgo@infinata
      24m
      @RebelsReport @DarthAxia or 1978 if you really want to split hairs, which is why it doesn't make much sense to be absolute about such things
      Details
    8. [​IMG]
      Rebels Report@RebelsReport
      22m
      @infinata @DarthAxia True. Between episode II and III there was a heavy focus on SWEU consistency but not so much recently.
      Details

User Actions
    Following
    [​IMG]
    Pablo Hidalgo@infinata

@RebelsReport @DarthAxia the thing is none of the SWEU creators knew a TV show was in the works at the time. Things are different.

El_Machete12, Immortiss, Ryus and 2 others like this.
  12. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Thanks for regularly posting all that info. It is very interesting.

El_Machete12, Immortiss and Ryus like this.
  13. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    You're Welcome

14. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    How I interpret that discussion with Pablo is that EU is, and always was, subservient to the films and TCW. This should be obvious to anyone paying attention.

It really wasn't a big deal when there were only three or six films, but especially now with Disney, the paradigm is different, with 10+ hours of primary media content being delivered each year. Tie-in media needs to be closely coordinated with the plans of the other teams if you don't want a huge continuity mess. EU will still be on a lower tier, but that distinction will be largely academic since all stories will work together.

The point being that the old EU is more-or-less unsalvageable since it was written under the old paradigm and the new films and TV shows will not be catering to it.

15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    All the stories will work together, at least until someone high-up has a movie idea that would clash with one of the books. Then suddenly the stories won't work together anymore.

Still, I like the direction they're going.

Immortiss, Dra--- and Artoo-Dion like this.
  16. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I agree, though my guess is they'll have eras, concepts and characters earmarked for film/TV expansion and thus "off limits" to the EU. Also, the EU will no doubt be more standalone material that has less of a chance of being overwritten.

Pro Scoundrel and Darth_Pevra like this.
  17. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    If TFU isn't considered canon, I wonder what that means for Shadows of the Empire, as at one point or another Lucas himself, supposedly, said that if he'd had the time, and the will to do so back then, he'd have made that story into a movie...also, there is of course the appearance of the Outrider in the ANH special editions.

Immortiss likes this.
  18. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I dare say SOTE has the same fate as TFU. (Although it was the original source of the Black Sun, so it does have that going for it.)

Immortiss likes this.
  19. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    It also has all the bounty hunters fighting for Jabba's scraps. However, I personally felt that the story wasn't strong enough for live action.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  20. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Disney are making there own EU and don't care about what is off limits or not or what is written or will be written or not, since they are going to re-write it regardless.

the thing is none of the SWEU creators knew a TV show was in the works at the time. Things are different.
    Surely that sentence could not be more clear for people.

21. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I think that is not what Artoo-Dion meant.

22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I know what he meant, I am saying they simply don't care eitherway.

23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    But that is the stated purpose of the story group. They are there to make sure stories align better in the future. So obviously they do care somewhat.

24. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Go back and read that sentence again, "Things have changed" do I really need to elaborate on that

25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I'm ... aware of that, as you would see if you had read my previous posts.

Lets just drop it. Leads nowhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.