main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Ugh, no one should ever try to inflict A Few Good Men on anyone else. That's just mean.

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    You raise a good question...

Why aren't Labyrinth and the Dark Crystal on that list? Add the Neverending Story to it, and Return to Oz.

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I so want to see Return to Oz

4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    It probably says something about me that I have seen these movies, minus Dark Crystal. Admittedly, the only reason I got anywhere near Labyrinth was for David Bowie.

5. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    So all the ships have names right?

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yes they do! All classic Rebel names. :D

--Adm. Nick

7. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Are you going to tell us the names?

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I always liked the names Rebellion used. Small Rebel ships had nimble names or those emphasizing such. Small Imperial ships had mythological names, which I loved. Big ships had a separate name pool.

I extracted the names from the DLL files if anybody is interested.

haha I loved it as a kid but maybe it was because I was a kid. Wonder what I'd think of it now that I actually know law, and have JAG friends to boot.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

CooperTFN likes this.
  9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It's just a terrible movie. Demi Moore is bad, Tom Cruise is absolutely terrible because his character refuses to hit any other note than "world's glibbest bro" without communicating anything sympathetic or interesting, and the plot is just horrifically stupid, confused, and patronizing. "These Marines aren't responsible for what they did . . . because they were just following orders! Also, because all Marines are poor, retarded dupes!" It's an absolutely wretched film that gets a pass because Jack Nicholson shouts. And that's not even Nicholson's best scene in the movie.

10. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    So, out of freaking nowhere, this is something that exists: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons, an online-only free to play PvP starfighter game taking applications for closed beta testing. I've already signed up.

11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The Galactic Starfighter expansion for SWTOR came out about two weeks ago but I haven't heard anyone mention it on the forum.

12. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    That's because no one plays TOR anymore. :p

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Well, no one here, anyway. I've been pondering the niche tastes of this forum.

14. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    A lot of KotOR fans can't stand what TOR did to Revan and Meetra Surik (Jedi Exile), so that's part of the problem. I don't have much interest in that era, so of course I would be interested in KotOR before I would even think about TOR.

tjace and spicer like this.
  15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    You mean the Karpyshyn novel Revan?

16. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Both the Revan novel and the game itself actually.

17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I dunno, I don't have a problem with people disliking stuff, but I observe this tendency for people to develop negative preconceptions about stuff and then only seek reinforcement of the preconception as an excuse to bypass the experience entirely.

I'm down on the post-NJO, but the difference is that I read it. I mean, no offense, but I guess I just have less respect for an opinion that is ultimately based on secondhand accounts, especially when it is loudly trumpeted about repeatedly.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  18. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, my first reaction to hearing about the plot of the post-NJO was disbelief, and my first reaction to hearing about the premise of TCW, with its radical changes to the Clone Wars timeline and things like Maul's "return" and the Tantive IV retcon, was combination of disbelief and a feeling that I had been lied to for years, so naturally I am not even going to bother with either. I actually have played and even beat TFU, and I ultimately can't accept it because of something as simple as the changes to the founding of the Alliance to Restore the Republic. I am very opinionated and, ultimately, very frustrated with the current state of Star Wars.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  19. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I just landed in Houston for a business trip, but I will try to post a list of the names tonight. I am a big fan of classic Alliance names, as well as many of the names used in the Rebellion computer game.

GrandAdmiralJello

I would love to see a list of ship names from Rebellion!

--Adm. Nick

20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm choosing to squint my eyes and pretend this is XvT 2 until proven otherwise.

21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    As you wish. I attempted to categorize them for my own reference, because I like using them myself (recall that Rebellion only chooses names for the AI, not for you); I can't guarantee the accuracy of the categories, but I can guarantee that the list of names itself is definitive.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Who could forget the good ol' Nebulon-B Frigate Stringtable?

jSarek and Lazy Storm Trooper like this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Pronounced, of course, Strinkt-uh-buhl.

krtmd and CooperTFN like this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Come on people, is the Colonel's underwear a matter of national security? Do you want to spend a week going blind on paperwork because a seaman second class bought and smoked a dime bag of oregano?

I love A Few Good Men, it's one of my favorite movies. And I was 21 when it premiered.

I didn't think a lot about it making the Marines look bad or whether the plot was remotely realistic though. I was entertained by Cruise, Kevin Bacon, Kevin Pollack, Demi Moore, Nicholson, and Noah Wylie. And Wolfgang Bodison is hot. :p

I agree with Havac that "You can't handle the truth!" is not Nicholson's best scene though. Hell, it's not even close. The scene when he pointed out to Cruise that Moore outranked him was much better.

I agree. Everything I have heard about the post-NJO sounds terrible but I almost feel the need to read it so I can trash it in an educated manner.

jSarek and Gamiel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.