main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Attack Squadron

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by darklordoftech, Dec 17, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
  2. Calgamer

Calgamer Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2012
    I'm not generally a fan of F2Ps, but slapping the Star Wars IP on them changes my mind. I'm curious to see what this game is like.

Oh, and is anyone else having trouble signing up for the beta? Clicking the sign-up button doesn't do anything for me...

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  4. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Button isn't doing anything for me, either.

5. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Yeah I've been clicking it and nothing is happening, although I'm using a tablet at the moment. If it wasn't Star Wars I wouldn't be so excited!

6. Calgamer

Dec 30, 2012

I tried from my PC, both Chrome and Firefox and no luck. I'm sure they'll fix it soon!

7. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Maybe I'll give it a try, looks interesting.

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder what this means for TOR.

9. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Wow, this looks bad. Really, really bad.

[​IMG]

Dem low-res textures! Dem jaggies! Dose PS2-era graphics!

Seriously, games like Hawken and Planetside 2 show that action-F2P games on PC don't have to be half arsed efforts. This looks like it would be more at home on ios or android.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  10. starwarsjunkie7

starwarsjunkie7 Jedi Padawan

Jul 16, 2011
    We all will find out how this game pairs up against the X-Wing/TIE Fighter series and Rogue Squadron series. Let's hope that the graphics are low so they can add more to the gameplay...we will find out soon, if the Beta button will work, ha! Looks like their interns are hard at work right now correcting their mistake.

11. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Graphics are not everything, I want my PC to be able to handle the game. I'm not surprised the graphics are so low, perhaps in time updates will make it look much better.

12. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I want to play it but it doesn't load. Hoping it will work soon.

13. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

I really don't buy this defense. Most games have low end graphics options for weaker systems. This is especially true of F2P games, where developers want as large a player base as possible to make a profit from micro-transactions. And, as I said before, if other F2P titles can release with better looking graphics then I do not see why this one can't.

I would love to have a decent X-Wing/Tie Fighter game on my system again. However I get the feeling that this just isn't going to be it. Heck, looking at the screenies, Rogue Squadron 2 is a better looking game and that's 12 years old!

14. starwarsjunkie7

starwarsjunkie7 Jedi Padawan

Jul 16, 2011
    I understand. Rogue Leader (as you can tell by my photo) is one of my favorite Star Wars games because it so well depicted space combat in a very accessible, yet difficult, game. Typically online PC games with bad graphics means that the game was under cared for, yes. Let's hope this is an exception.

15. Calgamer

Dec 30, 2012
    Update: It's good to go now!

From the Star Wars team on Twitter: "We see that some of you are having trouble signing up for the beta. We have passed along your comments & are looking into the issue. Thanks!"

I agree with Chewgumma, the screenshots depict a game with some pretty outdated graphics. But if it's fun, I'd still give it a whirl. I know other companies have been raiding the bar for F2Ps, but I still imagine them as pretty sub-par games with no real longevity anyways so my expectations are low.

16. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The graphics seem to have that REBELS McQuarrie feel.

darklordoftech likes this.
  17. Iefan

Iefan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2013
    I just hope they have a POV/First person perspective option. That was half the reason why X-Wing vs TIE Fighter was so fun. The immersion.

darklordoftech and FRAGWAGON like this.
  18. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I see "Lucasarts" down at the bottom credits......I thought they were no longer a thing.

19. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

They aren't a developer any more. They are still a company though, they lease out the IP that they have control over to third parties. Something Lucasarts should have been doing for years now IMO.

20. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    I was so happy and suprised to see the Attack Squadron article on IGN, then i saw it was f2p and my interest plummeted. Seeing the screenshots aren't helping either, it looks very ugly and old. And with it being online only and f2p, there won't be any mods to help it either. Only good thing i can say is that it being f2p, i can try it out and abandon it without it costing me a single $ :D

21. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    I'd suggest giving things time. There's not really a lot to go on at the moment.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  22. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Button is working (for me at least).

darklordoftech likes this.
  23. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I remember when one of my favorite games looked like this. By comparison, this isn't looking too bad.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  24. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, I think there's still about ten people who are technically "LucasArts" staff. They just handle licensing, legal issues, and in-universe questions/comments that developers might have.

For those hoping for anything remotely close to X-Wing/TIE Fighter Series, or Rouge Squadron, just let it go. This is definitely not that type of game. Whether we'll ever see anything that comes close to the X-Wing series is beyond me, but I wouldn't expect anything anytime soon. Which is a shame.

Chewgumma likes this.
  25. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    This game isn't probably suppose to amazing since it seems mostly like a substitute for 1313 and First Assault (even if it a bad one), plus something to hold fans over till DICE's Battlefront.