main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Zelda Fans Come Hither...

Discussion in 'Community' started by alpha_red, May 11, 2004.

1. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    So I'm going to pull this away from the video game discussion a bit and talk about the animated series. Netflix has some of the discs in stock now. My child and I are currently watching one of them and man, it's bad! They have Link as a smart ass and Zelda as a nagging harpy. Link has always been the strong silent type and Zelda serene and wise. The best part of it is the soundtrack and sound effects. The background music is all from the original video game as are the sound effects.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The show does have its moments- the idea of a larger underworld with entrances that could be hidden anywhere evokes the feel of the original game quite well (or at least expands upon its impression).

The back and forth over the possession of the two Triforces also evokes the original game as well. I also still love the Z1-inspired 3-sided pyramid design of the Triforces here (they were really fun to draw, color and cut out as a kid ;).

The integration of the zap also brought in an awesome shootout dynamic to the action that we don't see used enough in the games, IMO.

Though most just have plot setups are basically from some kid's D&D campaign (which, in itself, isn't without some charm, given we are talking about the mid/late 80's here), a couple episodes manage to be pretty decent (if you look past the running "ew, they're in love!" 80's kid cartoon attitudes). The last two episodes in particular (The Missing Link and The Moblins are Revolting) I've always enjoyed.

The music is surprisingly good- including original material (very noticeable towards the end of TML in particular). I really wish we had a soundtrack release.

All in all, it's amusing to recall back to 3rd grade and having my friends talk about how "it's Friday, which means there's a Zelda cartoon on the Mario show today!". :)

However, it's difficult to say who is more annoying- Sprite, with her Tinkerbell jealousy, or Navi with her incessant "Hey!"s ;) ).

If Netflix has them, and you want to be complete, don't forget to check out the four episodes of Captain N that Link and Zelda appear in- it's the same voice actors but their characterizations are more mature (no "give me a kiss" obsessions): Quest for the Potion of Power (a revive Ganon story based on Z2), Once Upon a Time Machine, Having a Ball (Eggplant Wizard & King Hippo steal the Triforce- and now the Triforce of Courage exists too) and The Trojan Dragon (small role).

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So I finally had a few hours free to setup and register my 3DS and sit down to play ALBW last night. But, of course, my system has to be a defective unit with a non functional touchscreen and face buttons so I couldn't even get through the setup (but at least it has the free Club Nintendo warranty extension ;) ).

So I rushed out to GameStop to swap it out before they closed and got a new one. On the upside I now have more CN coins and an extra download code for the game :).

Anywho, first impressions: circle pad thumb blisters (and it seems harder for me to run left than right but I think that's just the angle of my thumb), 3D bottomless pits (weeeee!), Kakariko sign in english (odd), great music, wall merge power adds a great dimension and new way of thinking about navigation and puzzles.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    My friend has already 100% completed it already. He's nuts. I like to take my time and enjoy, granted I wanted to beat Uncharted 3 first, but still! I'll be playing this the next couple of days and I'll see how far I get. I got a little frustrated in the Lorule because I couldn't figure out how to get to the swamp dungeon, but then my friend told me that it's pretty tricky to get to and probably the only dungeon you can't visit first. So I guess it's kind of ironic that I tried to go to that one first when I couldn't. :p

5. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I'm completely done with the game except for the last heart piece from that idiotic baseball game in Lorule. And then there's also that 999 second Cucco-dodging challenge that I'm not even going to bother with.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  6. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Same here I believe. My high score I think is 74 rupees in the baseball game. Hitting three pots in a row and then the bird is key. I don't know how many more times I'll try it. I'm maxed out on rupees and I keep earning them back so infinite loop until I get lucky.

999 seconds? I didn't even get to 100 seconds in Endless.

I talked to this one guy in the game and he was raving about apples and I can't seem to find him again. Anyone know who I'm talking about?

7. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I finished the game today. Although the wall mechanic was cool, overall I am pretty disappointed with the game. I know they wanted to freshen the series by making the game less linear, but the sandbox approach and subsequent loss of a solid narrative thread and difficulty curve resulted in the dungeons being far, far too simple.

Also,
    And surely I am not the only one who sensed something foreboding about Hilda the whole time? I saw that "twist" coming a mile away

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  8. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I was hoping Hilda wasn't bad, but I definitely had my suspicions of course. I did NOT see the Ravio thing coming so that was really cool. I'd love to see a direct sequel where I'm dark haired "Link".

9. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    Oh good, so I'm not the only one who felt that way...

Yeah it's still a solid game and all, but the only time I felt genuinely challenged was while playing the minigames and in the occasional tough boss like that fire turtle. Everything else, the final dungeon included, was a total cakewalk.

10. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I didn't think it was too simple. I did have to look up how to get the red mail. I was trying to find a switch or something that I thought would raise the grating in the middle of the level at first.

I will admit that once I had the upgraded fire rod I felt invinsible. :)

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    After tackling Gales (cool boss) and heading onto Hera now, there is one thing that strikes me as a bad choice in the game so far: you get the game's "warp" function waaaay too early in the game.

In ALTTP, you got the duck about halfway through the game, once you were able to hop between worlds after the 3rd dungeon.

Likewise, similar elements like the Recorder in LOZ or the cyclone music in TWW came in the back half of the game when jumping around the map became more essential.'

But in ALBW, you get it after the 1st dungeon (which could arguably be said to be more of a Zero Dungeon than First Dungeon- even worse!).

The result is you lose the exploration element before you've even really had a chance to explore. It makes the world map feel a lot smaller even early in the game.

So that's a bit disappointing, really. It would have also been nice if they had expanded the map beyond the ALTTP borders, even if for only one area.

Beyond that, I'm really digging what the 3D has brought to the gameplay. House of Gales was also a very fun dungeon (though, as has been pointed out, not particularly difficult).

I love that they seemingly bypassed the annoying small wallet/big wallet upgrade hurdle and just let you ring in the rupees (though they seem somewhat too plentiful- I think Nintendo overcompensated for the whole item rental thing). I always hated that about recent games.

I also got my first Shadow Link battle- but he was way too strong for me to stand a chance at this point in the game.

12. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    My only compliant is the mandatory touch screen for the items. While the slider and quick equip were novel ideas, I still would have liked a pause menu item screen option.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I dunno, pause screen fir menus tended to be one if the first things to go away for most games once the original DS came out.

14. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I don't know if I've ever noticed that, and I understand streamlining the whole game experience and not interrupting it, but it definitely would have felt more like the original with a pause item menu option, not that the game needed to feel MORE like the original. They did a heck of a job accomplishing that which the player either loved or didn't.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    btw- was I the only one who tried killing crows by luring them into Zora fireballs? One of the first things I did in the game. Was dissapointed it doesn't work- they'll take the hit but it won't kill them.

16. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    Has this been posted yet?

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, one page and three weeks ago. I think it's a cool take on the game, showing just how much nuance there is in MM. Really, it's great for philosophical discussion. :D

18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What's with Ganon letting Yuga use him like that? Ganon would hate being used by somebody else like that.

19. Iefan

Iefan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2013
    Ganon has always come off to me as a "will do anything to be resurrected and/or brought back to power in some form or the other.

20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In that case Ganon should have betrayed Yuga upon being freed.

21. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Why would Ganon betray him? Didn't Yuga have both the Triforce of power and wisdom? Having 2 of the 3 is pretty awesome. Maybe if he got the third through Yuga he would have wished to exist as his own entity and rule Lorule, but I don't know which mind was in control, Ganon's or Yuga's when they merged.

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    It looked to me like Ganon let Yuga take the Triforce of Power away from him, which I'm saying is out-of-character for Ganon.

23. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I haven't finished the game yet and there are a lot of spoilers I can't read/comment on yet :p

But it is good to know that everyone is enjoying the game, as far as I can tell. I know that I am.

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Hyrule Legends (temp title) been unveiled on recent Nintendo's Direct.
    Co-developed with Tecmo Koei… blend of Dynasty Warriors series with Zelda but not a main line series Zelda game.

Added the teaser trailer and it's for Wii U:

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  25. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    O!M!G! Wow! I can't wait. The trailer rocked but I had to laugh at "Hyrule Warriors (name not final)" screen graphic.