main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011

2. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I would say that G-canon can only be retconned or overwritten by other G-canon. Only George can overwrite George.

We're now in the post-G-canon era - because GL is not at the helm. Thus no new G-canon will be created. Disney's top-level content - what we'll see in the ST and spinoff movies, is technically of the same "rank" as G-canon, but in practice is a hair lower, in that it cannot retcon G-canon. It has every other attribute of G-canon, lacking only the power to overwrite G-canon.

I.E. Disney can't show Darth Vader not being Luke's father, or retcon the head-banging stormtrooper in ANH out of existence. Well they could try, but the original GL work would still remain the "true" canon in the face of Disney's effort.

Darth Kickass likes this.
  3. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    With the Story group, everything will be what G Canon used to be, editors, and authors, will need the approval of TV, and Movie people,
    TV, and movie people will have to share what they're doing, with book, and comic people.Stories will have to go through the story group, to make sure continuity stays tight, and .everyone will be guided by JJ, and Pablo.

4. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    Oh, Ok.

5. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    TCW General Grievous' backstory of turning into a cyborg because he "wanted to be a Jedi" is a good example of fans ignoring Word of God proclamations so long as they aren't actually stated outright in the show.

6. Obimus Primobi

Obimus Primobi Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2013
    Stephen Stanton has posted another of his Uncle Moralo's Bedtime Stories. Maybe he's missing TCW too.

7. Darth Kickass

Aug 3, 2013
    Where did TCW say that? From what I remember Grievous' med droid made a comment about him being turned into what he was and Grievous replied he "chose" to be turned into it. Nothing about "wanting to be a Jedi" if I remember correctly. Of course I'm only referencing TCW TV show, not the countless off-screen adaptations.

podjazd likes this.
  8. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003

I recall it being said, can't remember where. Either in the episode commentary or an interview.

I don't remember what was said verbatim, but it was said that Lucas' backstory for Grievous was that he wanted to be a Jedi, but couldn't be one, and so subjected himself to the cybernetic "improvements" to make himself better. While previous EU established that he was part of a Separatist ploy in which he was severely injured in an incident that the Republic was framed for, and the Separatists kept Grievous alive by turning him into a cyborg.

Filoni's stance was that he wanted to keep it vague in the episode itself so that fans could go either way with it as opposed to outright contradicting the EU.

EDIT:

Yeah, it was the episode featurette.

9. Darth Kickass

Aug 3, 2013
    You had me at "EU established" and "episode featurette". :D

10. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008

That was my point - it wasn't in the show itself, it was a 'Word of God' proclamation (i.e. something we were told Out-Of-Universe), therefore it was up to the fans to accept or ignore that statement. In the case of Grievous, I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of fans opted to stick with his original EU backstory.

TaradosGon and podjazd like this.
  11. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Had totally pushed that out of my mind. Ugh. :( They could have done it much better, and it's a shame that it was so horribly predictable from the get-go. An even bigger shame that they did it JUST to get rid of Ahsoka. We didn't necessarily need to know who did it, and it could've/should've been an unknown/OC.

Should've focused more on the people not Ahsoka.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I was hoping that TCW would explain Palpatine's infamous facial transformation in ROTS.

TaradosGon likes this.
  13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Why? Palps didn't know that would happen, neither would anyone else. :p

14. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    We'll get Yoda's species first, before we ever get anything more than Sithisis to explain his transformation.

15. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    I'd rather know why he has liver spots in AOTC, but not in ROTS.

16. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Interesting Tweets from someone who wrote three episodes of TCW

1. Jose Molina@JoseMolinaTV
      12h
      Re: the above, I give HUGE credit to George Lucas for making #CloneWars about Ahsoka, a female superhero, and dumbass rules be damned...
      Expand
    2. [​IMG]
      Steve Cavers@stevecavers
      12h
      @JoseMolinaTV @camcavers The Clone Wars was closer to a classic sci-if serial than any SW movie. I assume Lucas had less involvement in it.
      Expand
    3. [​IMG]
      Jose Molina@JoseMolinaTV
      12h
      @stevecavers @camcavers I can say first hand (I wrote 3 episodes of Clone Wars) that George was there A LOT.

Hide conversation

4:48 AM - 19 Dec 13 · Details

Tweet text
      Reply to @JoseMolinaTV @stevecavers @camcavers

Dismiss

Image will appear as a link
    4. [​IMG]
      Cam Cavers@camcavers
      12h
      @JoseMolinaTV @stevecavers that’s the feeling I got too, and his daughter Katie (who is sadly not on Twitter anymore) was a writer on it too
      from Greater Vancouver, British Columbia
    5. [​IMG]
      Steve Cavers@stevecavers
      11h
      @JoseMolinaTV @camcavers That’s very interesting! In terms of a sci-if serial, the style was dead-on, more so than the films.
      Expand
    6. [​IMG]
      Jose Molina@JoseMolinaTV
      11h
      @camcavers @stevecavers Katie is awesome. Both she and GL would be horrified at Cartoon Network's views.
      Expand
    7. [​IMG]
      Cam Cavers@camcavers
      11h
      @JoseMolinaTV @stevecavers I actually traded tweets with her about enjoying her and her dad’s show with my daughter, she was very nice to me

17. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Cartoon Network's views on what?

18. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
  19. Darth Odin

Darth Odin Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2013
    Wow If only Katie was writing episode 7 than maybe we will be getting something that at least resembles a star wars film

20. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    ^Or resembles a Star Wars animated series episode, even.

21. Corr

Corr Jedi Padawan

Oct 12, 2012
    I figured this would be the place to ask this, because it doesn't really need its own topic. Now that its been around for awhile, I'm wondering if this show is worth watching. I've seen a few episodes. I saw an excellent (2 part, I think) story with Clone troopers dealing with a jedi who wanted to get them to kill each other. I also saw the episode(s) with the separatist ship with the big ion cannon, and it was decent. Then there was part of a story with Obi Wan disguising himself as a bounty hunter that I liked but missed the first part of. These were mostly positive experiences.

But, I'm wary of the show. The movie that introduced it was pretty bad, and I'm a HUGE fan of the Republic Commando books by Karen Traviss (they're not just my favorite SW books, they're on the short list for my favorite books, period) and apparently this show totally destroys those books from a canon perspective, and that really makes me angry. I can deal with some of the stupid retcons (although half human/half Twi'lecks don't seem to make any sort of sense if you think about the differences between the species, specifically their brains, for even a second) but if the show is constantly doing things like the ruining of the Mandalorians, its just not worth it. As it is, if the Mandalorian ruining was an isolated event, I can just skip every episode that did it (I don't count them as canon anyway, I don't know exactly what they did, but for me the rC books are canon, not the TCW "mandalorians"). If trampling the EU is a frequent thing, then even if it has good episodes it wouldn't be worth it.

I can deal with ashoka, and I can deal with goofy stuff. I think the show has some quality stories in there, I'm just wondering if, from the perspective of someone who is very pro EU, the show is something worth getting into or if it would just drive me crazy with destructive, poorly thought out retcons.

Contessa likes this.
  22. Darth Kickass

Aug 3, 2013
    You might just want to stick to the EU. I love the show but from what I gather from other EU fans they're not crazy about it.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If you're a big fan of Traviss' Mandos, I can think of several episodes you definitely want to skip.

Contessa likes this.
  24. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011

Supposedly this was the reason why CN pulled Sailor Moon off the air on Toonami in the early 2000s. She was a girly hero who transformed via pink ribbons into a frilly costume and that scared the little boys away. Turned out the pretty soldier was savaging kids WB's ratings and that was just one of the decisions AOL/Timewarner made back then after they acquired the turner networks to limit competition between their own network which ultimately ending up running Cartoon Network into the ground so hard I think they still got a ways to go to climb out of it. Still it was great to see another lead female on Cartoon Network atlast.

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Corr As someone who is, as you describe, very "pro EU", I'd have to say yes, the show is definitely worth. Frankly, it's one of the best things to happen to the EU in a long time. We got to see so much stuff from the EU visualized and built upon. And, most importantly, TCW expanded the universe.

That's not to say it's an EU fan's fantasy either. It takes some EU elements and liberally alters them to suit its own needs. If you're a canon purist, then you'll have more than a few headaches when watching the series. Regarding the Mandalorians specifically, it's complicated. On the one hand, the Mandos seen in the show are drastically different from any other depiction anywhere else. At first most fans saw this as trampling over the preexisting canon set up by Traviss and others. The way I see it, this depiction was actually a breath of fresh air. It expanded upon the existing Madalorian lore and, with the guiding hands of brilliant writers such as Jason Fry and Daniel Wallace, it actually meshes very well with existing canon.

Trust me, I hated the movie too. Still do. But give the series a chance. Its stupid moments are no worse than Jar Jar or the Ewoks or Jabba's Dance Par-tay. The dumb droid humor even led to an amazingly hilarious section in the Essential Guide to Warfare. But if you focus too much on a strict adherence to canon, you won't enjoy the series as much, and will miss out on what I consider a very good animated TV show. Also, the headaches are significantly lessened if you never pay attention to Filoni's "word of god" musings on plot points, or other facepalm-worthy BTS info.