main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Come with me if you want to live: The Terminator Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Ignant, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    That's certainly doable. You just hope that the ticking clock inspires rather than forcing compromises that effect the quality.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So the title being rumored is Terminator: Genesis.

Additionally, they seem to be taking a shared-universe approach to the property, as they've announced that the writers/producers behind The Sarah Connor Chronicles will be developing a new TV series tying into the new film.

So, the fact that they are involving those behind the fantastic TSCC is, well, fantastic news. I am, however, sad that that seem to indicate any hope of a TSCC continuation or wrap-up DVD/TV movie are pretty much officially dead now.

The Terminator TV series will “follow a critical moment from the original 1984 Terminator movie, taking it in a completely different direction that [sic] the film,” according to Deadline Hollywood.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  4. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    It's a bit of an insult to refer to the actress by a character name.

5. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Stunt casting. They picked her up at the peak of GoT's popularity in hopes that it will rub off. The same reason they got Christian Bale as John Connor during the Nolan Batman hype.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hardly- it's just a pop culture connection and light comment. How many times has Arnold been referred to as the Terminator/Governator, etc?

It's shorter and more directly informative than "Game of Thrones' Emilia Clarke is the new Sarah Connor".

7. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Either way, I'm still going to ignore everything that happened after Terminator 2.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    My personal canon includes T1/T2/T2-3D & TSCC. It's a bumpy continuity but it's the most satisfying.

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Only if you're really precious.

10. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Just out of interest, how come you cut T3 from your canon? For full disclosure: I actually find it a pretty decent addition to the franchise. T2's ending more or less exploded the series' own internal consistency on how timelines operate. T3's ending was much more along the lines of the original T1 in that it reinstated the idea the timeline is not mutable and all that time travel does is result in the very course of events that the person hopes to avoid. I also liked Arnold's mission in T3 being only to assure Connor's survival rather than alter history.

I keep my eyes closed throughout the runtime of T4, of course.

11. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    You're my precious. Wb....again.

12. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Are the rights still set to revert back to Cameron in like 2018/19? If so, the concurrent TV series makes sense, as they'll want to squeeze every last dime out of this before they have to give it back. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see a cartoon, a comic book and Broadway show before it's all over.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    For starters, it's incompatible with TSCC, which I find to be vastly, vastly superior in quality. It's timeline of events are really screwy in regards to T2's placement (TSCC are a bit off too, but nothing thats so ingrained into the story as T3's issues) and, unlike TSCC, it doesn't function or feel like a follow-up to T2- you can more or less ignore T2 and just watch T1 & T3 (and, honestly, T3 probably works best that way).

It also feels the most unnecessary out of all the movies & shows so far- instead of advancing the storyline, it is basically treading water doing a T2 redux (admitedly, TSCC pilot did the same thing but then quickly recovered). It's sense of humor also crossed the line of making us laugh at the Terminator (same reason why the "smile scene" in T2 was cut).

Add to that the lack of a memorable score that actively avoids using the existing themes (a massive mistake for a film already lacking key Terminator elements like Sarah Connor, etc)- though props to the "radio" music at the end. And I always preferred T2's "No Fate" vs the unmutable future notion.

Basically, for something that should be the follow-up to one of my favorite films of all time, it was utterly lacking and just dropped the ball on all the potential it could have seized upon. Yes, the crane chase sequence is cool, as is the graveyard shootout and final destruction of the T-X, but Terminator films are action movies that are about so much more than just the action.

All in all, I prefer Salvation over T3 by leaps and bounds- yes, the film's middle is a mess due to the the whole Bale/Connor script revision, and they totally waste Ironside, but the first hour or so (up to the awkward fade-to-black sex scene cover edit) is pretty entertaining and the Skynet finale (shy the excessive exposition scene) at least feels like something out of a Terminator film. It's just that whole resistance base interrogation/escape/motorbike sequence that kills the film.

There was still enough of a solid foundation there that, had Salvation continued it's planned trilogy, the next films could have worked well off of, transitioning us from the rusty steel/washed out Salvation future into the shiny Skynet of the last days of the Future War.

Saintheart likes this.
  14. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I think my biggest problem with T3 is how wimpy John Connor is portrayed. Claire Danes is great, but I felt her character was put in because Terminator had become known for having a kick-ass female as the star, and they were unsure about changing that.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, she was basically a Sarah Connor fill-in, both as a strong female lead and as the "normal working female dragged into these events". I also agree- I didn't care for the actor playing Connor. I get that the character was supposed to be adrift and needing direction, but even in his future war glimpse, I didn't buy him as the leader.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I was never much of a fan of TSCC because the lead actress looked bored the whole entire time.

17. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I liked the show.

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Hope this film will be better than Salvation

19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Isn't Arnold going to be in this one?

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I think that's if they don't get a film out in time.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I disagree- though there were one or two episodes where I could see one might have that reaction, but she was very much a post-T2 Sarah.

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I just think she lacked the ferociousness and presence that Linda Hamilton displayed so well in T2 but to each their own.

24. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    In Connor's defence -- and it's a cute observation admittedly coming out of TV tropes -- you have to remember that when the story opens, Connor basically has just taken a big bunch of pills from a veterinarian's dispensary. The events of T3 occur over about 24 hours. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, for the entirety of Judgment Day, John Connor is high!

25. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004