main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Like those darn indecisive armies and navies around the world and throughout history. Comrade Yudashkin raped my childhood!

V-2, TaradosGon, Gamiel and 2 others like this.
  2. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Interview with Simon Kinberg up in the OS:

Looking forward to Rebels more and more!

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Show should come out in March, not September

4. Zinnzade

Zinnzade Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    In creating Star Wars Rebels, the goal is to create something that is true to the original films, but exists on its own. "The hope and the dream is that the experience of Rebels is similar to the experience of watching A New Hope, and Empire, and Jedi for the first time," he says.

Great to hear they're only interested in staying true to 3 of the 6 Star Wars movies. Too bad if you grew up with the PT, I guess :( *sigh*

5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, that depends on your point of view.

1. Rebels is set close to the OT era, so it makes sense that it will evoke that.
    2. We just had 5 seasons of a show set in the PT era, so PT fans haven't been ignored.
    3. I only see this as a problem if someone doesn't like the OT, to which I can only say:oops:.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    8 seasons over 2 shows over 10-11 years. With a bonus season on the way.

7. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    When I see this I always wonder does this mean the person saying this saw the PT before seeing the OT?

Oh the horror of that thought. Although, on the other hand, the deal with Vader and Luke is such a pop-culture common knowledge item by this point that unless the person was very young when they watched the movies, it's almost certain they'd already know about it before watching.

8. Zinnzade

Dec 6, 2013
    I truly hope you're right and the statement was only intended to refer to the timeline...

However, I feel like the Clone Wars show stayed true to both the OT and PT. Shouldn't we expect the same respect from Rebels?

I get that everyone is going to have their own preferences to the different films or eras, and that's cool - but I dislike hearing people in charge of Star Wars publicly insinuating things like "yeah, we only care about 3 of the films" (and again, I do hope your interpretation is correct and mine is wrong).

Just feels like they're alienating the fan base, and I don't think they should do that to *any* large segment Star Wars fans... except the expanded universe fans.. jk, haha :p

cwustudent likes this.
  9. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    That's a misquote. He was saying he hoped that watching Rebels would be like the feeling HE had watching the original trilogy for the first time when HE was a kid.

10. Zinnzade

Dec 6, 2013
    Thanks for clarifying - I copied/pasted that from their description in the video.

V-2 likes this.
  11. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Honestly, we've been saturated with the PT in one form or another for 15 years. I enjoyed the prequels--I eagerly anticipated each film, and I have a fondness for ROTS in particular. But the core of SW is the OT.

Without 1977's Star Wars, we would not have this universe. Without 1980's The Empire Strikes Back, we would not have the story of Anakin Skywalker. Without 1983's Return of the Jedi, we would not have Luke and Leia as twins. Everything that has come since owes its existence to the OT.

The reason Disney chose an era so closely tied to the OT is because they want to return to the roots of SW: the underdogs battling impossible odds in toppling an evil Galactic Empire. This is classic David and Goliath stuff, and it resonates very deeply with people. The PT necessarily moved away from that, and that was fine for the story being told, but when you lose that spirit of watching a ragtag group stand up to the Biggest Bully Ever, the heart of what made SW successful just isn't there.

Disney obviously want to recapture the magic of the OT by returning to that "Rebels vs. the Empire" dynamic. In my opinion, this move comes not at all too soon.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
  13. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    Begun the Trilogy Wars have.

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

That doesn't make any sense!

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm pretty sure that started years ago.

16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Still doesn't make any sense :p

17. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Man, I saw the original basher/gusher wars in the early 2000s. This is really nothing.

18. Zinnzade

Dec 6, 2013
    I like the OT, and I have no problems with returning to that era... I'm not arguing what era the show takes place in.

I respect everyone's point of view, but for some people the core is not necessarily the OT. And that's fine - it's all subjective. For me, I had no interest in Star Wars until I saw Episode 1. Again, that's just me - I'm not trying to state my opinion as a fact, the way some people might do.

Imagine if when the Clone Wars came out, Dave Filoni said, "we want to stay true to Episode 1, 2 and 3". It would be a silly thing to say. Whenever the CW or PT did something, it had to stay true to the OT as well. You don't get to bring Chewbacca back and just pretend he didn't exist before. Sometimes it succeeded, and sometimes it failed, but the fans didn't give anyone a pass for any disrespect towards any previous Star Wars movie and I think there's no reason to start now.

thedarkbeckons likes this.
  19. Darth Kickass

Aug 3, 2013
    Perhaps they did begin years ago but now we're going to see the "prequel generation" voicing their opinions on these forums. By "prequel generation" I mean those who may have NOT seen the OT before they saw the PT or TCW. Not every kid born after 1990 had the luxury of having parents or a parent who raised them on Star Wars and made sure they knew about the saga the same way my girls will. To some of these people the PT or TCW may very well have been their first experience with the GFFA. They probably feel as adamant about "their" Star Wars being the "real" Star Wars as we do about "our" Star Wars being the "real" Star Wars. For me, personally, it's a silly argument because I view both trilogies and TCW as being equally relevant, that's why I poke fun at those on both sides who try to make it an argument.

20. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    The thing is, while GL was a very savvy businessman, but he was also a maverick who ultimately used LFL to indulge his own whims. Those days are gone.

KK and LFL now report to the CEO of a public multinational corporation. "This project is being made because it interests us" just isn't going to cut it now, at least until LFL produce a string of blockbusters under Disney's ownership.

For that reason, you've gotta ask why official promo material for new SW productions have emphasised their connection to the OT. It's simply because the OT has mass appeal in a way the PT can never hope to match, and no doubt internal market research has demonstrated this. You'll never see a promo with the creative team raving about TPM because their marketing team would edit it out before it ever saw the light of day.

So when the SW Youtube channel posts videos of the Rebels creative team proclaiming their love for the OT, it's not so much a swipe to alienate PT fans as it is an olive branch to help win back OT fans.

Heero_Yuy, Darth_Pevra and TaradosGon like this.
  21. Darth Kickass

Aug 3, 2013
    I just like to think that we're all Star Wars fans.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  22. Zinnzade

Dec 6, 2013
    An unsubstantiated claim about the number of OT fans versus the number of PT fans is a moot point, since they would want both groups to enjoy the franchise (ie: more $$, of course).

There are a lot of straw man arguments being made here.. I don't think anyone has a problem with people proclaiming their love for the OT. They don't need to "win back OT fans" - I think what you're really trying to say is that you feel they need to win back "PT haters". PT haters and OT fans are not the same thing. I'm an OT fan and they don't need to "win me back". Trying to win back PT haters by hating on the PT is not a good idea, imo.

Right or wrong, seeing that quote on the SW youtube made me feel unwelcome to what they're doing with the new stuff. ("we want to be true to 4,5,6" may imply "we don't want to be true to 1,2,3"). It's not a huge deal, but their choice of words simply could have been better in this instance.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  23. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I believe you meant: Long ago The Trilogy Wars started.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. Zinnzade

Dec 6, 2013
    I do agree.. The OT vs PT stuff gets a little crazy sometimes. It's as if we're discussing something like Marvel vs DC, when it's all part of the same (awesome) universe :)

25. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Sure we are. I'm not disagreeing with that. All I'm saying is that if you're put off by the marketing shift towards the OT/away from the PT, you have to keep in mind that it's not just capriciousness driving this decision but cold, hard numbers. Disney are asking "What will get bums in seats?" and the answer is decidedly not "Digging further into the prequel mythology".