main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Zinnzade

Zinnzade Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    Sorry, but to which "cold hard numbers" are you referring? As Christopher Hitchens used to say, "That which can be asserted without evidence, can also be dismissed without evidence".

The PT made good money. The CW had decent ratings. If none of that was true, they wouldn't even be making more movies. Without the PT or the CW, the franchise may have been about as active and well known as where The Matrix is at right now. Who knows. Heck, I'd like to see more Tron movies, but Disney hasn't been pushing those hard now either because the TV show didn't do big ratings, and the last Tron movie didn't make a bazillion dollars or whatever they wanted from the box office.

There are better ways to attract PT haters, without actually having Star Wars writers hating on the PT. Just show everyone how great what you're doing is and we can *all* enjoy it!

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  2. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    As a fellow Tron fan, I'll offer you a hearty "Greetings, program!" And I'm a big fan of evidence when it comes to the natural world, too--I'm a researcher in computational biology, so I get the idea.

But we're not talking about the natural world here. We're talking about what's a reasonable inference when it comes to the motives behind a particular marketing strategy.

You've talked about the PT fanbase being alienated. Well, guess what? A sizeable chunk of the OT fans have been persistently alienated from SW over the last decade-and-a-half. People who once identified themselves as SW fans have moved away in droves.

What's my evidence? It's largely anecdotal, but my whole point is that Disney/LFL obviously agree, otherwise they wouldn't be trying so hard to win back those erstwhile fans. And given that they have to answer to shareholders, I dare say they have the evidence, even if I don't.

Kinberg even says "Rebels is going to... hopefully be a point of return for existing Star Wars fans." In other words, they want to win back the fans they've lost.

You might think there are better ways to please all the fans. They don't necessarily want to please all the fans. Those lost SW fans have kids and plenty of disposable income; the risk of alienating PT fans probably doesn't even warrant a note on the ledger.

Count Yubnub and Heero_Yuy like this.
  3. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Those poor lost little Star Wars fans.

4. CommanderColt

CommanderColt Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 2, 2013
    Interesting where he talks about the villian Inquisitor (at 1:15) and talks about how he is supposed to be scary in that viewers would think that they are capabale of becoming that. I guess that was sort of Lucas's point with Anakin too. Now I am going to enter speculation land. This doesn't sound like a Palpatine character, who exhibits no signs of humanity or ever having any morals. It sounds more like they might delve into the backstory of this Inquisitor and give some detail about his fall from grace. Now for the big leap... the Inquisitor is a fallen Jedi, not a pseudo Sith trained to the Dark Side from the get go.

Seerow and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  5. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    In my opinion any Star Wars fans who quit paying attention to Star Wars because they didn't like the PT as much probably weren't huge Star Wars fans to begin with. No need to worry about them in my opinion.

People can prefer one trilogy over the other but to completely stop paying attention to Star Wars is something a very very casual fan would do.

It's good that they are going back and making the universe more like it was in the OT because first it is closer in the time period now to the OT so it makes more sense. And second it is something different than what we have been seeing since 1999. Saying they are doing it to bring back fans is just silly and their isn't any evidence as far as I know that that is why they are doing it (I believe all they have said is that they want to bring back the feeling of the OT).

6. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    It's simple really. All PT fans are also OT fans. An OT centric series still has your money. Conversely, not all OT fans like the PT and would prefer as little prequelisms as possible. You won't find the reverse, with PT fans wanting little to no ties to the OT, anywhere. Can you really name ONE PT fan who doesn't like the OT at all? Somehow I doubt it.

It's basic mathematics, son. It's baffling how some PT fans get so insecure about their interests. I liked X-Men 3, but I accept that I'm a minority and understand why it may be preferable for future installments to relate the mistakes of that entry.

7. Zinnzade

Dec 6, 2013
    No need for the "son" stuff... As for the rest of that sentence, you're saying it's basic mathematics without presenting any mathematics to back up your opinion.

What exactly are you trying to say? That it's OK to offend PT fans, because you believe they are a minority? I believe that voices of anger tend to be louder than the voices of those who are happy or content - regardless of minority/majority. It's naive to think that disrespecting the PT will produce a different reaction than what's happened in the past when OT fans feel disrespected. And again, professing enjoyment of the OT is NOT the same thing as implying disrespect or exclusion to the PT.

V-2 and Force Smuggler like this.
  8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Reminder: This is not a PT vs. OT thread.

9. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    You know what also isn't disrespectful? The new SW series feeling more like the OT then the PT. That's not stopping you all from getting your knickers in a twist, does it?

And yes, it IS basic math.

All PT fans also love the OT.

Not all OT fans like the PT. This is a fact.

Ergo, it makes sense to focus more on the OT than the PT by any logical, objective standard.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  10. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Why is an OT-centered series disrespectful to the PT-fans? I thought there were already two animation series in the last few years about the PT. Moving to a different time period is nothing but a normal development.

And I personally think that Rebels will continue what TCW built up. It will be a natural continuation, the best we could hope for really.

Artoo-Dion , V-2 and Force Smuggler like this.
  11. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Making a WW2 film is disrespectful to fans of the WW1 era.

12. Zinnzade

Dec 6, 2013
    It's not.. Nobody said it was.

I said that I felt the text I previously quoted from the Star Wars Rebels YouTube link, could have been worded better to not imply any disdain towards the PT. Just stated my opinion - that's what we do here, right?

Apologies if this has upset some people, or taken the thread off track - that certainly was not my intention.

13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I would love that. A Jedi who compromised their ideals and joined the Empire out of a sheer desire to survive and loses more and more of his humanity as the series goes on.

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

Legolas Skywalker likes this.
  15. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I didn't see anything of that in this vid. Is it now forbidden to openly prefer the OT? Is this automatically an insult to PT-fans?

I don't feel insulted just because someone doesn't like Star Wars.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Per the EU quite a lot of the inquisitors, hands, adepts etc. were former Republic-era Jedi who turned dark and joined the Empire when they saw how the wind had shifted.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The Inquisitor should be former Clones

18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I was not a fan of that. It got old and what kind of Jedi falls the moment it becomes cool?

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

20. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm saving that image

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. Darth Odin

Darth Odin Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2013
    Well it's not disrespectful but it certainly means the show will suck for many reasons fan service and lovefest included

22. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    Wouldn't it be just as fanservicey to feature tons of tie ins to TCW, as many PT era fans want? I guess that's ok because it helps PT fanboys feel validated.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm sure there will be tie-ins to both trilogies.

Zinnzade likes this.
  24. Zinnzade

Dec 6, 2013
    Of course not.. That's not what I'm saying. Read page 198+ .

25. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Their will be tie ins to TCW, the PT, OT, the ST, and the spin offs, and content, we don't know about yet.