main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Attack of the Clones or Empire Strikes Back

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Force Smuggler, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    *HEADDESK*

Padme didn't "give up," she didn't commit suicide, and her death had nothing to do with volition or "character."

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012

So....what did she die of? Doesn't the droid say something about her having lost the will to live (isn't that, technically giving up?)? After saying there was nothing physically wrong with her? Isn't 'losing the will to..' an act of volition?

Was it....magic? She dies a magical death? But...weren't midiclorians introduced to add a (pseudo) 'scientific' explanation for the Force - does that make any sense?

Was it the Force that killed her, by disaffecting her of her midiclorians? But....midiclorians are measurable (and 'scientific') so...physical..so that doesn't make sense with what the droid said.

If you had something to put in the place of the things you deny are the cause it might strengthen your position.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Healthy people don't die from being sad.

4. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    What exactly is the point of harping on a fictional character committing suicide in a movie that's not even part of the discussion topic?

Do you understand the basic plot structure of the PT -- at all?

It's a tragedy in space. Main characters in tragedies always have fatal flaws. Their final actions aren't meant to be emulated.

Also, it's quite clear, if you watch the movies closely enough, that Padme battles extreme sadness and doubt in each of the installments. In I, after anxiety and sorrow, she manages to come out winning; in II, she keeps her head up but weakens in the face of war and Anakin's personal loss; in III, the entire situation, personal and political, becomes too much for her to bear.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree with your last paragraph, however, I stand by the statement that her emotional in ROTS should not have killed her.

I lost respect for the character with the "too much to bear" part.

Romeo and Juliet follows the tragedy model as well but those characters are also so stupid that the play is ruined for me.

And it's certainly not because I only like perfect people or something. I admire survivors, not people without flaws.

Frank T. likes this.
  6. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Finally! Someone else said it. I know it comes across as a bit uncultured to attack Shakespeare, but that's exactly what I thought when I first saw it (the Zefferelli version). Their deaths are just ludicrous.

7. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought the point of R & J was that teenagers are stupid.

8. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

9. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012

Yes..stupid and ..idealistic. They are children, and their actions and plans are those of children - I always took it that the point of the story was that the adults were so enamoured of their ongoing familial grudge(and the nature of the grudge is arbitrary - ie none really know what the basis of it is) that they are willing to sacrifice the happiness of their children, and ultimately to sacrifice, through their baseless hatreds, their children.

10. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    That's why we need an EU novel that reveals that females from Naboo become mentally immature as they age. How else to explain a strong 14-year-old woman aging to be a weak 27-year-old girl?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.