main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Official Darth Plagueis Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Jan 3, 2012.

1. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I feel like they want to say, "Celestials are The Force!", but that would be extremely controversial.

2. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    purplerain Agreed. I think they do, but aren't sure how to handle introducing the concept, especially after the lackluster acceptance The Ones got after Mortis. Over the last few years they haven't stopped referencing the Celestials in all of their major and even minor works though. Wonder if it'll stay that way after the reboot.

purplerain likes this.
  3. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Just read the Wook page to catch up. Based on that it might not be crazy to assume the Celestials still thrive in the unknown regions?

4. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    That would raise the question of why they didn't stop the Vong.

5. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    True. Do we know how large the UR is though? Perhaps they just never intersected?

Also seems like there is a strong connection between the Mind Walkers and the Celestials...

purplerain likes this.
  6. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

At the very least the Unknown Regions seems to be the last place they resided in the physical galaxy/universe. Hard to say anything beyond that given how ambiguous writers have been on them and all.

7. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Maybe we should start a Celestials discussion thread so we don't derail this one? I would love to get deeper into this....

purplerain and DarthJenari like this.
  8. BedlamSpirit

BedlamSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2011
    And all of this fall short to the ability to bend reality itself. No ability in The Force ever, has shown the ability to bend reality, time and space. Specially a Bedlam Spirit which stated she created time and space, casually by the way.

9. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

Ughh, fusing with the Force and overseeing all time and reality is achieving a level of omnipotence and omniscience. Being able to bend reality would fall under that. Also, this spirit SAID she created time and space, with nothing to back it up.

10. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    BedlamSpirit

We created a new thread for this topic. Please use that so this one doesn't get derailed.

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  12. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    That is pretty amazing.

13. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Better than what we got.

14. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Are you kidding?

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The family-friendly folks over at Rebelscum must be trying to show an alternative, substance-free version of Plagueis's demise. For the kiddies. Parents obviously complained otherwise.

16. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

No. Plagueis's death was even more ridiculous in the book. Electrocuted to death while drunk and wide awake with Palpy monologuing at him. Ugh.

17. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Which part is ridiculous? That it wasn't in his sleep? That would have been more exciting I admit.

18. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

We were told that Palpatine cold-bloodedly murdered his master while he was asleep. That's cool and wickedly evil.

But it turns out he just got his master drunk off wine and spent five minutes standing around blasting him with Force lightning while Plagueis lolled around like an invalid. If you don't find that image comical, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I find the image of Palpatine smothering Plagueis with a pillow comical too.

Incidentally, in the same scene in which Palpatine tells Anakin that Plagueis' apprentice kills him in his sleep, immediately preceding it in fact, he tells him that he taught his apprentice everything he knew -- including the ability to cheat death.

V-2 and Revanfan1 like this.
  20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah. He was lying. Also, I thought Plagueis actually was briefly asleep, and when Palpatine barraged him with lightning the first time, he woke up and started staggering around drunkenly. So technically, he was asleep–just not the whole time.

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    He wasn't asleep, he was drunk.
    [​IMG]

Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Yes but from a narrative standpoint (lol @ defending RotS "narrative") there was a point to that lie. If everything Palpatine says is suspect just because he lied about one thing maybe Darth Plagueis never even existed and Luceno shouldn't have wasted his time.

It doesn't actually bother me because I don't care but the book should have just ended with Palpatine walking in on Plagueis asleep, putting a lightsaber through his head, then walking out again.

Btw does anyone know what the point was of Palpatine having his lightsaber sealed up inside that statue in his office for years when apparently he had a bunch of easily accessible spares just lying around anyway?

23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Before TCW's Mandalore episodes, Sidious was never shown to have lightsabers pre-ROTS; thus, there was no reason for anyone to believe that he had actually taken them out of those statues since he became Chancellor. TCW, of course, comes along and voila, continuity error. I love TCW, but it was pathetic in dealing with pre-established EU canon–even, apparently, movie tie-in EU.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  24. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I've given up taking Star Wars seriously because no one else does. Unless it's continuity. That's important.

Edit: What I mean is, do I really care enough to come up with a reason for Palpatine to lie about Plagueis dying in his sleep? I can think of one which is supported by the novel -- and, perhaps, common sense:

"Then his apprentice got him really drunk and blasted him with Force lightning, and he tried using his healing power to keep himself alive but the power actually sucked and it didn't work and he died. But he could totally save others from dying. Ironic, isn't it?"
    [​IMG]

I'm sure that's not a good enough reason to contradict continuity, even if it is crappy film continuity. Personally I'm still miffed that Vader didn't kill Luke's father.

I guess in a less sarcastic manner, taking Star Wars really seriously here for a moment, that the reason why Plagueis dies in his sleep is to give his ability to cheat death credibility. He can't use the power when he's asleep. I mean, sure, Plagueis' diminished capacity due to the alcohol might lend some credence to the power's efficacy despite its failure to keep him alive, but sleeping is even more convincing!

Jedi Merkurian and Revanfan1 like this.
  25. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    G-canon.

[​IMG]

Revanfan1 and DigitalMessiah like this.