main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Star Wars Misconceptions You Had as a Kid. (RE-MADE)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Saber101, Jun 9, 2011.

1. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003

When Luke was in his X-wing, wasn't it printing out what R2 was saying on a screen that Luke was reading from?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes. But also, Luke talks to Artoo on occasion even when not in the X-wing. However, it may be a case of just recognizing some of the more basic beep statements, rather than Luke being able to translate what Artoo says word for word.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  3. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    Thanks for remaking my original topic Jedi_Saber101

Love reading the responses. Takes you back to a time when the trilogy was so fresh and new in your mind.

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Interestingly, in The Black Fleet Crisis, even Lobot the cyborg, who understands normal binary, can't understand some of Artoo's "binary polyglot".

Apparently some Artoo's beeps are in Basic though - and are swears - Lobot comments that Artoo must have "learned his Basic from a nerf-herder".

5. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

Because of this shot, I used to think that Darth Vader's lightsaber was thinner and longer, and Luke Skywalker's was fatter and shorter.

6. Maul95

Maul95 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    -"Coruscant has detected an energy field..." for years I thought that was the actual line
    -Luke threw his lightsaber instead of a grenade inside of that AT-AT
    -Luke actually fought Vader in the cave, and when he appeared later in the movie I thought he had several clones of himself to transfer his soul there just in case he dies a la Palpatine in Dark Empire
    -I thought the escape pod of this shot was a crashed podracer from Episode 1:
    [​IMG]

I had a similar misconception after watching TPM, I thought Naboo was the Earth in the future.

7. Sam Nee

Sam Nee Jedi Youngling

Oct 17, 2013
    I thought that the cave sequence was real and that it was just a decoy vader. (I didn't recognise Mark Hamill)

I thought that he threw his lightsaber up into the AT-AT

Can't really think of anything else at the moment.

Also this doesn't have much to do with this but did anybody else pause when Vader was being electrocuted and notice that his skull was the shape of his helmet. (It looked like he had a monkey skull)

Sarge likes this.
  8. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Same here.

9. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    I also fell for the thinking Luke threw his lightsabre into the AT AT instead of a bomb thing.

I seem to recall thinking that the lightsabre that Obi Wan fought Darth Vader with at the end of ANH was the one that Luke's father wanted passed down to Luke, which always confused me as to why Luke had that lightsabre in the next film. Mind you I was about 8 at the time.

Up until I was about 13 I thought that red lightsabre = sith, blue = padawan or knight, and green = master.

10. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    This wasn't my misconception, but I had a friend who always thought Han Solo's name was Hoth Solo. Don't know why. He typically just referred to Han as Hoth but it took me awhile to catch it.

11. Maul95

Maul95 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    I thought the stormtroopers were still clones of Jango Fett.

12. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Actually, some still were. In fact, I think the majority of the ones you see in the OT are, but obviously they didn't have Temeura Morrison to record the lines back then... or know the fact that they were clones : P

13. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    It is likely all of the OT film Stormtroopers are Jango clones. The head bumping Stormtrooper is proof that there are at least some still around. This is a case where the films differ with the EU. There is a 1978 LFL article that states Stormtroopers are clones but not anything about the Fetts. The Stormtroopers being clones of Jango instead of just being clones was a 2002 retcon. However the EU and many fans still disagree with this. IMO Stormtroopers are all clones as far as the films are concerned while they can be whatever the EU wants them to be in the EU.

14. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Well Luke does mention "the academy" in ANH, which suggests that the Empire does recruit non-clone humans, but perhaps not as stormtroopers...

15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Luke wanted to be a pilot.

The whole "clones=stormtroopers" thing is kind of a mess, really. Lots of different people saying different things, and Lucas himself (as is his wont) seems to have changed his intentions a couple of times.

16. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    In the deleted scene from ANH, Biggs visits and tells Luke that he is leaving the academy to join the Rebels before the Empire drafts him. This suggests that the academy may not be an Imp one. The film never says it was a Imp academy. Also in that scene Biggs states he is a officer on a ship, not a fighter pilot nor ever being a member of the Empire since he avoided the draft. I suspect TIE pilots are also clones, considering how weak TIEs are it makes some sense only clones would fly them IMO. But really there isn't one answer about the clones that everyone will agree with.

17. The_Archivist

The_Archivist Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2013

I was about to say, I always thought Luke was talking about a pilot/flying Academy, never an Imp. one. After all, he does state that he hates the Empire. Also when he's cleaning up the droids, he is not only complaining about getting off Tatooine, but is also more importantly seen holding and pretending to fly around his T-16 model (like a kid does with a toy). Why would he let such a great ability of being a pilot go to waste, especially with a spot-on bull's-eye of shooting womprats in his T-16?

18. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    It does imply that the Academy is a flight one.

I wish that scene was kept in, Biggs also tells Luke the Empire is nationalizing all trade, which would mean a great irony for the CIS. They fought for free trade but only helped the man (Palps) who would do away with it. A great tie in to the PT.

19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Here's a common misconception: that Palpatine is a ghost in ESB.

20. SenatorJarJarBinks

SenatorJarJarBinks Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2013
    When Lando says "we'll last longer [against the star destroyers] than we will against that death star. And we might just take a few of them with us"
    I thought he meant that they wanted to steal a few star destroyers for the rebellion....

21. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    First time I saw ROTJ, I thought the second Death Star was the original Death Star that was badly damaged from ANH, I thought it was a retcon (long before I even knew the term).

22. JediTerminator

JediTerminator Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2004
    I was never allowed to watch Star Wars until I was 12 years old in 2000. It really annoyed me because my older siblings would talk about it all the time and I never got to see it on TV/VHS. So, I got all my impressions of Star Wars prior to actually seeing it was by watching my siblings play "Shadows Of The Empire" on Nintendo 64. I thought it was all about one dude (Dash Rendar) fighting against white robots (stormtroopers) and floating robots. That was around 1995. When I finally was able to watch ANH, I was so shocked to see the white robots fighting about 10 other guys at the beginning. I thought it was only about that one guy from the game! Lol, watching the movies certainly changed the way I used to think about Star Wars.

23. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I used to think it was real. The Emperor terrified me when he was torturing Luke.

24. Lord Schtam

Lord Schtam Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2014
    Here are many misconceptions I shared with my friends, and which I seem to be have been the first to discover to be misconceptions:
    We called the Sith "Evil Jedi".
    We called lightsabres "laserswords".
    We thought (all) Stormtroopers were clones.
    We thought Palpatine's name was "Evil Emperor".
    We thought the X-Wings' wings had to be open in order for the ships to be able to fly (rather than just hovering).
    We called C-3PO "the golden robot".
    We called the droids "robots".
    We thought the stormtroopers were the lowest ranked soldiers in the empire.

And here are some that I either did not share, or weren't the first to find the errors in:
    I thought Han was a cowboy.
    I thought there was a hierarchy of the lightsabres' power, with green as the weakest (I thought they were unable to block lightning) and purple as the strongest (able to deflect lightning).
    I thought the CIS became the Empire.
    I thought the clones were betrayed by the stormtroopers.
    I had a theory that stormtroopers were droids in clone armour.
    I thought Captain Fordo was Commander Fox.
    I had a theory that Grevious was Maul in an armour (Since Grevious seemed to have red and black skin around his eyes).
    Until recently I thought Ubi-Wan would had beaten Vader in the Death Star, but that he just sacrificed himself to give the others time to escape.

The list could be longer, I was a fool as a kid.

lbr789 likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Lucas called them "lazerswords" going by the "Making of" books (Making of Return of the Jedi certainly mentions it.