main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who sees reported posts

Discussion in 'Communications' started by beezel26, Dec 22, 2013.

1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I am curious, how does the report a post work? Who sees it and how do they respond?

Rainbow Knight Star likes this.
  2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Every mod sees it.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Brevity version: We all have access to see all reported content, but for the sake of not moderating members from the specific forum who may not be familiar with other forums' moderators we will generally wait for the reported content to be dealt with by the specific forum's staff. Unless, the content is particularly egregious, like an image or words which require a swift edit.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    All of the mods see that there is something in the queue. We then can click on the queue to see what is out there. For 'emergency' stuff like spamvertising, inappropriate images, disallowed language, or technical stuff like deletion of double posts caused by system issues, anyone can respond. For other stuff we generally leave it to the forum mods.

Edit - what ACOD said.

5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I don't believe I've ever used the report feature. I've never seen things get so bad that reporting is necessary. I look at the button like a sort of fire alarm. If something is simply smoking , or if there's a spark, It can be dealt with without sounding the alarm. If things are engulfed in flames, pull the alarm.... but I've never seen things get to that point.

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    That's the ideal use for it, no doubt.

7. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    So does that mean a moderator gets an alert that a post has been reported? Or does it mean that they have to refresh the page and then something gets sent to them. I did send some but nothing happened so I was unsure if anything went down or what not. If what you say is true then reporting a post requires you to post a message to a moderator because the moderator in that forum may not know till later and will be able handle it.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    There's a section above the main banner visible to mods that has 'Moderation Queue' and 'Reported Items'. If anything is there we will see a red indicator telling us how many items are in the queue - in the same way you'd see a PM number if you had one waiting. It's very visible and hard to miss.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Were they posts that actually should have been reported, or did somebody just say something you didn't like? Like I said, I've never used the thing, but if I did, it would be because somebody threatened or sexually harassed somebody.... something worth reporting. Somebody saying something smart assed or snarky isn't worth reporting, and if you do, you're pretty much abusing the feature.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I think, if I may speak to the unspoken question here, is that if the person didn't get banz0rzd, beezel, then the mods didn't see it being as offensive as you did.

11. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    He brings out a good point. How do we know if the mods give a damn or if they choose to ignore someone? If a post is reported then the moderators of that forum should reply to the person making the charge. Even if they don't think its a problem. It is just before out of courtesy most moderators would send you a response after you reported something to them. Regardless of what it was they would thanks for the update or I don't see it as a problem. Or will take care of it.
    I did report a post and got nothing but a half and later I sent a message to the mod. Its only after I viewed the thread I noticed something was done. My question is should moderators be required to send something notifying the person of receipt of problem and what they intend to do about it?

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    No, not really. If you want the exchange to be so personalized, you should PM a mod instead of using the report feature. The report feature should only be used in extreme cases (sexual harassment, threatening, posting personal information, etc).

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Or Juliet's music.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    My point was "it's probably not as bad as you're taking it", actually.

15. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    How do you know if they care or they don't think its a problem. Remember you are saying sexual harassment. Ok, but how do you know that the moderator sees it as sexual harassment or just went to get a cup of coffee and ignored the post? What I am saying is if a moderator reads it and thinks its bad or its not they should have the courtesy to tell you. That way another mod doesn't get an email from you and decides to do something. Or for example if a report isn't read or just ignored by a mod can they be held accountable for not doing there job?

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You people are saints. Seriously.

17. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I've barely used this feature. The only thing I have done with it so far is reporting my own double/triple/quadruple posts (which get swiftly removed following reporting).

18. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Just so you know, the reports system requires that a mod claim and then mark a report as resolved before it is moved to the "closed reports" list. If this isn't completed, the report will continue to show up as an open, unresolved report and the red notification will continue to display at the top of the page like an unread PM or new alert. What this means is that there is a system of accountability in place in case a user claims their report went unresolved or that it was ignored.

As for the suggestion that we require mods to reply to every report, I would say that's not really how it works. There is no reply feature in the reporting system. It's not like, say, a support ticket where someone can reply directly to your report with a response.

I would suggest that if you want a direct response from a mod about a report, there's nothing stopping you from initiating a PM conversation yourself. You can always ask them about the status of your report and/or who handled it, as that information can be looked up by any mod. And as is always our policy, if you don't feel a particular moderator is sufficiently addressing your concerns, you can always contact another mod, or if that fails, contact an admin.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    But also, and I'm speaking from experience here (as well as addressing the unasked questions from beezel) - there is often going to be scenarios where you feel a post is over the line, offensive, baiting, or flaming and the mod may not agree. It's the benefit, and sometimes curse, of the mod being an objective third party; they can at least see that if tensions are running high both parties are a bit too engaged and a warning to all sides is required, to which the poster who reported the incident replies that the mod is being unfair, biased, or too soft.

It's probably a bit different in terms of the conversational mechanics, as Grimby alludes to above, with the "report" feature but the concept is still the same. If you report a post, and don't see obvious mod action, it may mean they don't agree with you it's problematic. Or they may address the offending poster directly and without public spectacle.

Just because you don't see the response you expected, beez, doesn't mean something isn't happening that you're unaware of.

20. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    ...He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts...

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    :p

22. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Back in my mod days, my favourites were when someone reported a post for flaming and then it transpires that the reporter was flaming even more and ended up getting banned themselves.

23. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    IMO the report feature is way too easy to use and doesn't offer you that minute to think twice about things that a pm does. I speak objectively from my own misuse of it. It's easy. It's there. 90% of the time you're probably over offended about some nonsense, if it's anything other than a blatant swearing flame or goatse, and I don't mean that to you specifically Beezel but to you, me, anyone. But then again I guess it avoids the whole complaints getting forgotten through pm etc. (although maybe that might be a blessing in some instances)

Also what is all this nonsense about receipts. Maybe MS should consider opening a paypal for tips - $1 per complaint receipt. THINK OF THE RICHES.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.