main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is Hayden's Anakin iconic?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by LordThanatos, Dec 15, 2013.

?

Is Hayden's Anakin iconic?

1. Yes

45.7%
  2. No

54.3%
  1. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Hayden's Anakin, in my opinion, is not an icon. Say a person who barely knows Star Wars sees a poster of the Hayden Anakin (without the lightsaber so its not obvious) and a poster of Darth Vader (also without the lightsaber.) Which one is more iconic? He is quite a well known character, but you cannot beat the iconicness of whom he becomes. He's more of a shadow of Vader.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Agreed. If it weren't for "join me, we're family..." he'd be just another dead Jedi. ;)

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  3. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    This is definitely something many (most?) Star Wars fans don't realize, or are unwilling to admit. TESB pretty much split the fanbase at the time. Many of the detractors claiming that it was such a departure from what came before that it hardly felt like Star Wars anymore. Had that been part of the internet age, the negative opinions of the films after ANH would've likely been far more prevalent.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Samnz like this.
  4. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    So glad I woke up on the righteous side of that argument, back in the day.

5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    For sure. The internet really brought this age where people like to be rude and nasty in talking about things, and acting like picking things apart with endless criticism somehow makes them sound cosmopolitan, hip, and intelligent; it really just exposes them for the trailer trash that they are. But yes, people would be criticizing ESB like they do the PT if it came out today, and pointing out all of the reviews that were panning it.

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    ESB was criticized at one point?

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  7. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    Yes.
    http://www.nytimes.com/library/film/061580empire.html

And this one hardly holds it up on a pedestal many of those that strongly dislike the PT claim the OT has always been on.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/longterm/movies/review97/empirestrikesbackmartin.htm

Mostly just a snippet in this one (halfway down the page)
    http://encoremag.com/new-york/articles/2505/great-movies-given-negative-reviews

Samnz likes this.
  8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  9. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    Reread it with the third link.

10. SnakeWesker

SnakeWesker Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2006
    Say what you want about him. He is Anakin Skywalker, and always will be. An entire generation of Star Wars fans see him as their hero.

JoshieHewls and Lee_ like this.
  11. thederekens

thederekens Jedi Youngling

Dec 24, 2013
    Darth Vader is more iconic than Anakin Skywalker... you say Anakin and I immediately think of Darth Vader... James Earl Jones is the icon lol

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

12. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    That's just it. That's your perspective. Not everyone shares it.

13. Rauno

Rauno Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2013
    I wouldn't say iconic just yet. Yes, when i think of Anakin i immediately think of him but it's too early. Maybe in 5-10 years.

14. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I think Alien and Bladerunner had fairly mixed reviews on their release as well. Guess only time will tell whether the PT can achieve the status that these filfms and TESB did long term.

Barbecue17 likes this.
  15. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    The Terminator also received mixed reviews at its release, so am told.

16. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I wonder how long it took for the weight of opinion to swing round. I wonder, say, how TESB was generally critically regarded 10 years post release.

17. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    There is no real answer this question. It's just a matter of opinion. What is the point of asking it?

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  18. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    'Twould be pretty quiet round here if we only discussed things not subject to opinion.

Lee_, Barbecue17 and Force Smuggler like this.
  19. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I asked this person in the spirit of scientific curiosity and your hypothesis proved correct.

I also asked if they'd seen LotR and if they could, if required, point out Christopher Lee. A definitive yes for both of these. I then asked if they knew who he played in Star Wars and received another blank stare.

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  20. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    Yeah, lots of movies just take time to really catch on. I think ROTS has actually been pretty heavily reevaluated by many fans who initially rejected it since its release and is viewed in a much better light. I think by the time the ST hits we'll have a better idea about some of these things. Honestly, it feels to me that on most other places on the web and even many other Star Wars forums, the PT is still pretty unpopular.

QsAssistant likes this.
  21. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think as the 3 SW generations assimilate in the years ahead (OT, PT, ST), there will be an appreciation for the PT. SW would not be anything like it is commercially/artistically speaking right now without the PT; it brought SW to a whole new generation of younger fans, which the ST will do also.

BTW- it is not just movies that can take while to catch on- it is all forms of art. Many of the greatest, most influential works on earth (music, paintings, etc.) were only recognized in their greatness many years later, sometimes after the artist's death.

Seagoat likes this.
  22. Barbecue17

Nov 11, 2013
    Very true. Just watch the greatest Doctor Who episode of all time, Vincent and the Doctor, as an example regarding Vincent Van Gogh! Completely unappreciated during his life!

Lee_ likes this.
  23. skyrimcat9416

skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2013
    Is Hayden's Anakin well-known? Definitely! But iconic? No.

Don't get wrong, I one of the few people Hayden did a good job as Anakin, but he is definitely not iconic. That is a pretty big statement to make.

24. Barbecue17

Nov 11, 2013
    I feel like iconic would be something best judged by people not on a Star Wars board.

I'm really interested to see how his image is used (or if it's used) in marketing the ST. While we can be pretty sure that Darth Vader won't be in the film, I guarantee you we'll see Vader in marketing, ads, memorbillia, and other such accoutrements. We'll just have to see if Anakin Shows up.

You know I think might be considered iconic? That poster with the young Anakin walking but casting Vader's shadow. I think a lot of other movies imitated elements of that poster and it was parodied a number of times. I might be wrong, but I always felt that was a strong image that the public really embraced, even before they saw the films.

25. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    great points by Lee

if you notice every successful film that comes out now the sequel that follows it inevitably 'disappoints' the fans. If you like something , whether it be a movie, a song, a politician, a car, the last thing you want to do is read people's opinion's of it on the internet.

QsAssistant likes this.