main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anyone else feel like people overreact to the Prequels?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Mzukiller, Dec 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Yeah, they do.

I've re-watched the PT as part of my rekindling of interest in Star Wars, and I can understand why some people bash them. AOTC is a bit too much of a love story, but it's kinda important because of Padme's role in Anakin's life. TPM is just meh IMO.

But ROTS to me is wonderful, even though the Order 66 scene rips my heart out every time I watch it.

I don't necessarily think "PT > OT" but I'm not exactly like "OT > PT, or else!" Those movies(at least AOTC and ROTS, because I was too young to see TPM when it first came out) were my first real exposure to Star Wars. I don't think my father had any of the OT on VHS, and by the time it came out on DVD, Dad wasn't around to rent it(Mom is not a fan), and I had been away from it for a while(I figure if my cable provider had had Cartoon Network where I was living at the time, I might have watched TCW). Those movies are special to me. I love the OT, too, don't get me wrong. It just kind of grinds my gears when people insult the PT.

2. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    In a short answer to the OP, yes.

There is an unnecessary amount of hate AND praise directed towards those movies. I don't see any of them as A+ pictures (I'd give TPM a C, AOTC a C-, and ROTS a B). None of them are great, but none of them are terrible. They're good or at least mediocre films. They're entertaining enough to keep my attention (well, TPM and ROTS are :D).

As as been stated before in this thread. All of that hate is stemming from the fact that they have an impossible standard to live up to. I've seen very few films better than The Empire Strikes Back. Expecting them to live up to that standard (or the standard of ANH) would be asking for quite a bit. I love them as they are, but they're far from perfect. Empire has been regarded as the best Science Fiction film of all time before. As has ANH. They're incredible films that shaped a generation. You can only strike lightning in a bottle so many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barbecue17 likes this.
  3. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I don't really know. I'd say this forum is rather civil because the mods do a job of conditioning "problematic" users. Sometimes a hardcore hater shows up, but they're gone soon usually. But I don't think you can deny hatred on the internet in general, right?
    You just have to read commets under certain YouTube videos. For me, that's not just an "overreaction", that's popular sadism. Tormeting people has been replaced by bashing films and they have actual joy in that. An overreaction could be seen in some PT fans' reaction to bash the OT (but I think that quite rare).

A lot of times, of course, they don't directly say "I hate them". However, put your head in the lion's mouth and just say "Well, I actually prefer them to the OT". You'll find incomprehension at best, at worst you're personally attacked simply for an opinion on movies (not on this board) or made out to be crazy (which is ironic, of course, but they don't see it).

My suspicion has always been that not the PT itself, but Lucas' constant changes to the movies (especially to the OT) has kept that hatred alive. The way I see it, the most vivid hatred is directed at Lucas himself, wishing him and his kids dead etc. The only way to "go back" would be to watch old VHS. The won't do that.
    It doesn't excuse their insane behaviours, but I think Lucas would have been wise to release the OOT in that regard. I feel it would have given some people peace.
    On the other hand, I don't see why Lucas should have bowed to such people (who wish him dead) in the first place...

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I hate this idea that the PT are "proven" to be poor films because "real" critics bashed them. What about the OT (a trilogy of movies I still absolutely love to this day; Empire in particular) then? Those movies weren't fawned over like some like to try and claim (Empire in particular) when they first released.

A post I made in the "Is Hayden's Anakin iconic?" topic:
    Pointing out that the OT has many of the same flaws as the PT, and that the reviewers were no less harsh with those movies when they came out isn't "resentment towards" or "cracking down hard on" the OT. It's preventing a revisionist history meant to denigrate the PT even further.

5. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    He pretty much did in 2006. Didn't change anything.

6. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I almost overreacted when I saw the title of this thread...

But then I calmed myself, like Qui Gon, and all was right with the boards. For a minute.

7. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    I think many people overreact to all sorts of things, but stories tend to be a major one, be they fictional or historical. On the whole, I really like the prequels, but a few (very minor) tweaks wouldn't hurt.

Barbecue17 likes this.
  8. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    [face_dunno]
    Cryo and son_of_skywalker already beat me to the punch, but I feel compelled to chime in regardless. Where are these people who keep defending the prequel trilogy with, "Well, the original trilogy is just as lousy on all fronts, so, it's okay." ...? Never in all my years have I, for one, said anything of the sort, let alone actually thought it. It's never been about lowering standards, but recognizing and further embracing them as they've always been concerning Star Wars. That's not to say the prequels excel in precisely the same way as the originals, mirroring the latter down to every particle. Obviously, the two are different on multiple levels, but the overall context, envelope, sensibility, what-have-you, is strikingly consistent. And where the two trilogies do diverge is where they become interesting on their own terms.

Why...*sniffles*...wuhwhy can't we all just be one big happy family?! WHY?! *Ingram runs away to his tree house, cue meaningful coming-of-age music*

9. skyrimcat9416

skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2013
    Yes, definitely. If people do not like the Prequels, that is fine and that is THEIR opinion.

However, I can't stand when people treat the PT as if it was a crime against humanity and act like there were no redeeming qualities in them whatsoever. Nor do I like it when the PT bashers make it their mission to taunt anyone who loves the Prequels or god forbid, actually likes them.

10. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    We are nerds. It's what nerds do.

11. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I think it is a sign of the times. People who run websites and youtube videos want to draw attention to their own sites/shows because, after all, it's a business for them. You don't draw attention to your site by making moderate, level-headed statements. You do it by making extremes. You'll get more hits spouting off something like "GEORGE LUCAS RAPED MY CHILDHOOD!!!!" than you would saying something like "well, those movies were disappointing and could have been better."

12. Master Agoraphobia

Master Agoraphobia Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeh, people overreact, and I think most of the people that complain about the PT are trying to convince themselves because they feel some sort of need to defend the "originals, maaaan!" :rolleyes: . Some people need to get off their high horse with that stuff.

Personally, I don't find one trilogy, as a whole, better than the other. Although my favorite individual film is "Empire".

Sure, Jar Jar is pretty annoying, but the relationship between Qui Gon and Obi Wan is great to watch in Episode I and of course, Darth Maul is sweet. Also, while a bit long, I enjoy the pod race.

AotC has some pretty cheesy lines in it but:

1. The development of Padme and Anakin's relationship
    2. Flippin Jango Fett :cool:
    3. Clones
    4. Yoda showing not only mastery of the Force, but also letting everyone know he will dominate you in "aggressive negotiations".

RotS shows the relationship between Obi Wan and Anakin continuing to deteriorate. The confrontation between Yoda and Palpatine, the confrontation between Anakin and Obi Wan. The intro scene over Coruscant.

I know I rambled on a bit, but what I mentioned above just quickly comes to mind when I think of the PT. How can you not enjoy that stuff?! :)

13. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    BECAUSE IT SUCKS AND I HATE IT

14. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013

15. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    [​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

16. Maul95

Maul95 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2013

100% agreed, I hate it how in the internet it has become a sin to like the PT.

17. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003

Your post perfectly sums up my views, in my OPINION the PT is as enjoyable as the OT I find neither inferior I enjoy all six movies equally, some may have a different opinion that is fine, I don't get care if someone has the complete opposite opinion of me just show me respect. I love when some people bring up their hero and deity RedLetterIdiot as a end all be all for how the prequels should be judged, first off no matter how much someone wants to yell and scream and stomp their feet and tell you their is only one right way to think, than that person is a small minded black and white thinking buffoon. Film is SUBJECTIVE, if you have a problem with film being SUBJECTIVE than you should not get into the arts and find a liking to science and math which are OBJECTIVE and FACTUAL. Lastly I know this is will not be popular and I rarely throw around the world entitled, because honestly I hate when morons throw around that word for basic human needs and call in entitlements, but that is anothe rant. I think too many fans act way too entitled, you have the choice to enjoy what you want or dislike what you want, but Lucas or no artist owes the fans ANYTHING. A artist should have the freedom to use their own judgement and make things their way, us as the public has the CHOICE to accept or reject what the artist has given us. I fear that too many artists these days are not using their own judgement and too much listening to a concesus or fans, I want spontaneity, I want something fresh, the internet is killing spontaneity because fans feel way too entitled that they will whine and cry that something is not made THEIR WAY! You vote with your wallet, if you don't like the movies, you shouldn't have watched the movie over and over again in the theatres and than whined about it, you shouldn't have bought the action figures and than talk about how you disliked the characters, you shouldn't have bought the DVD's and the Blu Rays and than whined about them. If you don't like something walk away and move on to something you enjoy, nothing more sad and pathetic to listen to someone negatively ranting about something they dislike all the time!

18. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    "The end of the war is near here, General(s)..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.