main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will we possibly finally see the Whills?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TheAvengerButton, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    You should have just gone on Wookieepedia, bro. But if you want to be mislead on information regarding Star Wars, go to Supershadow's website.[/quote InterestingLurker]

I went to Wookiepedia first, but I was just unsure about the term "Whill", and where it derived from, and since I'd seen it on Supershadow's website first, I was curious as to whether or not it was a term he'd come up with, but a few people kindly cleared that up for me earlier and as such I posted my thanks. I promise you, I always research what I find to be questionable on the net, as I know not everything is as it appears to be.

2. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013

I thought they were called the Whon'ts. :)

LunarMoth and dolphin like this.
  3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Whichever you prefer.

Darth Archimage likes this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Remember that movie about the little boy who wanted to release the Whill from captivity? Free Whilly

JediWheelz and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Will any appear? If not, will they get mentioned in novelizations?

6. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Nice thread, but should we have the one in the archived forum merged into this one? http://boards.theforce.net/threads/will-we-possibly-finally-see-the-whills.50006089/

So whill we see the Whills? Or whill they get mentioned elsewhere, like in the novels? Hmmmm, that's a good question. I'm suspect we won't actually see them in person in the ST, but I do hope that they show up in some manner, either being mentioned by the Jedi Force ghosts or even passing on some long-forgotten knowledge that can help the heroes defeat the new threat. If the Netherworld of the Force whill be explored in the ST, then I'm hoping that the Whills are at least mentioned, as they were the ones who originally taught Qui-Gon Jinn the long-forgotten ability of Force ghosting. Given that GL has said in interviews that the ST will be more ethereal in nature and may explore in greater depth the mysteries of the Force, I would think there's a good chance the Whills could play a key role in the new trilogy, if only indirectly...I'm sure the film novelizations could offer more insights if this is the case.

The most similar beings I could find to the Whills are the Celestials, and more specifically, the Ones, the powerful Force-wielders from Mortis in TCW. The EU has other similar powerful beings that were capable of warping reality itself, like the Bedlam Spirits, which were also subtly referenced in the Plagueis novel with the Bedlam Institution for the Criminally Demented. The Whills, however, remain extremely mysterious and we really have no idea what they are truly capable of outside of the ability to teach Force ghosting. I'd love to learn more.

Okay, I whill now stop with all the Whills puns already. Or maybe I Whont. :p

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Archived thread dusted off, and threads merged.

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The Shaman of the Whonts taught Palpatine how to become a Sith spirit. :p

On a more serious note, Immortiss, if your Plagueis theory is correct, could the Whills tie in to that?

9. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Quite possible, I suppose. But I doubt we'll see them and I hope we hear something of them.

10. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    If you want to bring an existing mystery element within the Star Wars universe and make it new and fresh, I see no greater opportunity than the whills. Whatever the **** they may be.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  11. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    [​IMG]
    I have no clue what you are talking about, which might mean it's probably too fanboy to make any sense in a movie.

LunarMoth likes this.
  12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The Whills aren't any more obscure than the Sith were before TPM was released.

13. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I am not sure if even the Whills are still canonical. Who determines what unaddressed concepts from the ANH 1976 draft gets carried over with the handoff to Disney? If Lucas doesn't mention the Whills in his Ep 7-9 story arc, does the concept just die (especially since it wasn't fleshed out in the PT like the Sith were)? Dunno....

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    It does appear on the official Star Wars novel from 1976 and all subsequent editions

dolphin likes this.
  15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    They're mentioned in the ROTS Force Ghost deleted scene.

dolphin likes this.
  16. Blazer-Smith

Oct 28, 2004
    My point is this smells like it might be more psuedo crap like a clone Palpatine or midichlorians. Again, I haven't googled it or anything, but if i don't recognize it then there's a chance it's just fanboy minutiae that are not important for a new movie.

17. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
  18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Nobody recognized the Sith in 1998.

Mystery Roach and Blazer-Smith like this.
  19. Blazer-Smith

Oct 28, 2004
  20. Blazer-Smith

Oct 28, 2004
    Nor Gungans, and they were VERY crucial to making a good prequel (please note sarcasm).

JediWheelz likes this.
  21. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    Yeah but it wasn't at all like that with the whills. If you went from the late 70s up to the late 90s to your local supermarket you could buy a Darth Vader action figure and it would say that he was a Lord of the Sith somewhere in the cardboard. You didn't have to dig too deep to know that Sith = dark jedi.

Blazer-Smith likes this.
  22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Except the Palpatine action figures didn't call him a Sith. Before TPM was released, it was accepted that most Dark Jedi are NOT Sith.

Ganger likes this.
  23. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    Good point, sir.

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. Blazer-Smith

Oct 28, 2004
    It just sounds like an idea that really doesn't have much storyline traction to it. Sith is a cool way to describe the "group" that Vader belongs to. Whills sounds like more nightsisters crap. OK for a serial TV show but not a $500 million production.

Odolwa likes this.
  25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    It's not cool at all. If there's one thing I hate about the prequels, it's their obsession with Sith.

Blazer-Smith likes this.