main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars #12: From the Ruins of Aleraan, part 6 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

It is still a disjointed mess that is clearly not going anywhere. As mentioned last issue, it's TCW all over again.

2. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    That may be the point of the series, to do to the post Yavin EU, we had before what TCW did to the TCW EU, namely change things, and overwrite things, to fit a new continuity. TCW, Rebels, the spin offs, and the ST are enabling them to change things. He's not alone, his stories have to be approved by Hidalgo, Chee, Heddle, Stradley, Filoni, and whoever is representing the film projects. they're not bound by the old EU anymore, he's accountable to the Story Group.
    the only way to look at it, is like this is the beginning fof the Disney/LFL/Bad Robot era of stories.

3. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

It is still disjointed and not well written and if it is an attempt to introduce "New Canon" it is doing a terrible job, because so far it makes it sound more like it was just shoddy research and planning rather then some kind of a real plan.

Barriss_Coffee and ChildOfWinds like this.
  4. Protectorate

Protectorate Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2013

But if that's the case...why has absolutely nothing happened in this story? And why all the continuity drops? Nothing in this story has been as egregious as TCW. I feel like this line of thought has only been promoted because it brings more excitement to this otherwise boring and uninspired series. If it's at least the first steps into the ST's EU, then who cares? It's NEW STORIES, YAY!!! The false rumor that this series is a lead-up to the ST is bringing this boring series more publicity and sales than it deserves.

Seriously, what has happened in this story? What "movie questions" has it answered which are clear disconnects from previous stories? The only thing that is remotely close is the "revelation" of yet another Death Star designer. The history of Rogue Squadron has always been muddled, so to with Executor, which shows up in the wrong timeline constantly. None of these are on par with TCW, at least as far as I can see.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  5. Tinwe

Tinwe Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    Apart from the cover (which is stunningly beautiful, as others have said) and the fact that we see Mon Mothma wearing something else than her customary white robes for a change, I was pretty "meh" about this issue. And really, what's with all this marriage business with Leia? That literally came out of nowhere. I guess it would be in-character for her to do that for the sake of the rebellion, but that storyline was pretty much covered in The Courtship of Princess Leia. Plus, unless they really do plan to overwrite the whole post-ROTJ EU, we already know how this is going to play out = no marriage. I'd hardly call that a captivating storyline, but I guess we'll see.

6. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Wow that sounds like a lazy mess. Yeah, I'm giving up on this series.

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    If this is indicative of a "new era" of stories, maybe they should concentrate more on T-shirts and coffee mugs.

8. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I read this and not care. I don't consider the series canon just like CW.

9. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Well, I hung on until 12 just to finish out the first arc--and it's definitely had its enjoyable ups along with the downs or I wouldn't have made it this far--but I've removed it from my monthly pulls. I'll pick it up someday in Omnibus or TPB, but right now money is too scarce to spend on something I have such mixed feelings about. Odd how the series gets so many details correct--Antilles family refueling station, anyone?--but misses the boat in so many major ways. I'll admit to being intrigued by the new Leia plot, as rehashy as it is, but we're not even getting to that until after a Vader arc so this seems as good a time as any to jump ship.

10. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    I give up.

LightsaberAccident likes this.
  11. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Somebody should have given Brian Wood a copy of Warfare. It finally made sense of a muddled Rogue Squadron history and nailed down the group's OT-era history very well, but it seems like Wood didn't get the memo. The Rogues were not formed by Wedge; they were formed by Arhul Narra and placed under Luke's command, with Wedge as Luke's #2 (info that dates back to Galaxy Guide 3). They were not Rogue Squadron until after Hoth; they were Rogue Flight. Granted, there are like 800 pre-Warfare sources (including the video games) that call them Rogue Squadron pre-Hoth, but how is that mistake excusable post-Warfare? Ugh.

JediMara77 and LelalMekha like this.
  12. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Lets hope that issue 20 is the last one then. Id rather have a new series or revive Invasion for a War final arc than continue this series of thumb twiddling issues.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Y'know, this Rogue business would all be excusable if it weren't for the fact that Luke is explicitly referred to as Rogue Leader in TESB. By Wedge of all people! :oops:

14. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    We should get this on a shirt since I foresee saying this a lot in the coming times.

Jeff_Ferguson and Gorefiend like this.
  15. LightsaberAccident

LightsaberAccident Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 26, 2013
    Since when was TESB canon???

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  16. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008

I don't know how many times this can be pointed out before I lose my mind.

17. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    So what was this "deep betrayal" discovered by Leia?

18. Protectorate

Protectorate Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2013

From the issue, it's supposed to be that Mon Mothma didn't cue her in to Bircher's role as a double agent.

19. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Are you saying that Colonel Bircher, the officer that Emperor Palpatine touted as one of the finest Imperial soldiers in service, was a double agent, acting on the Rebel Alliance's behalf?

Darth Sidious, the most powerful Sith Lord in history, was fooled by a Forceless fighter pilot?

I'm so glad I didn't buy a single issue of this comic, if that's what happened. What a pile of bantha poodoo :mad:

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  20. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Because people have heard of the name Rogue Squadron, therefore it has to be used every time there's a story involving Rebel X-wings.

He and IG-88 belong to an elite brotherhood.

Iron_lord, Vialco and Rogue_Follower like this.
  21. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Since 1980. [face_dunno]

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Caught up with the series last night and- ugh. What a mess.

Han's subplot has no effect on the main storyline (but might have been an decent one-shot- just not justifiable in being strung out like it has).

The whole primary Stealth Squad/Bircher/Mole/Devastator plot line turns out to have been meaningless (or, at best, a convoluted mess to make a further mess of an already convoluted Rogue history).

And it's a real shame, because I do like some of the character interactions quite a bit. The art is still strange (it ranges from very cool to semi-Aeon Flux strangeness to 1995 POTF2 Darth Vader) but I like it at times (the disorienting space combat and cockpit sequences are effective).

But man, all the positives really get washed away by the rest. I'm trying to think of the last time a series was this... I don't know- discombobulated? The lesser arcs of Republic or Empire, I think.

23. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Not even those since they at least all managed their own little stories, this is trying to go for some kind of arc but is just failing hard.

24. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I want to keep reading because the art is so pretty but I don't know what the point of this 'story' is.

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    There is no point. There never has been a point and never will be a point.

Gorefiend likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.