main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Mass Effect Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, Sep 7, 2012.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I think it should be set in the same galaxy, with all the established alien species from the previous games. Biotics should be possible as before, just don't have anyone related to Shepard in it. Maybe have some recordings or something (like the one you could find of Bastilla in KOTOR 2 talking about Revan) but otherwise it should have brand new characters.

07jonesj likes this.
  2. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    I like the idea of stretching the sequel far down the pike, although even if they set it centuries later you may well have some established characters around - say, Matriarch T'soni and Clan Chief Urdnot Grunt? Otherwise I could see it being done much like KOTOR 2 - a new protagonist and a more or less clean sheet plot.

Almost done with ME2 on my adept reboot - just finished the derelict Reaper. Shockwave is an "I WIN" button when dealing with husks :D

3. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Aaaand just about the ultimate humiliation for the proto-Reaper in ME2 - survived two direct hits from the Cain ... got cherry-tapped to death with an M-3 Predator, a.k.a. the popgun. Last few rounds got it right in the eye too, perfect segue into the cutscene.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The 4th one could also be a *gulp* reboot...

5. Rauno

Rauno Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2013
    Most definitely the same universe, shouldn't even be a discussion. They can go the KOTOR route with this one.

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Tapatalk 2

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    In what way? I thought they already went the KOTOR route with the last 3 given they use a decision system based on that game.

7. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    I think they're referring to KOTOR II - new protagonist with a few cameos from the KOTOR I cast.

Into ME3 now with the adept reboot; again I decided to change up my weapon preferences. I decided for the first few Cerberus missions to use the Kishock as my hunting rifle. It's a pain in the butt hitting anything that's not standing still, but boy is it amusing when that harpoon rips right through a Guardian's riot shield and sends him flying like a rag doll. Probably going to trade it for a thermal-scoped Mattock after Grissom Academy and then the Raptor after Sur'Kesh. For Reapers I'm using the boring old Mantis. Automatic weapon of choice is the Punisher, a.k.a. the "grease gun." Not a bad arsenal for the early game, especially coupled with maxed-out flare as a bonus power.

8. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
  9. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Hmph. I'll start getting excited when I see more than a couple of concept sketches. Frankly I'm hoping BioWare takes their sweet time with this; they're tackling a difficult prospect between following from ME3 and winning back certain elements of the fanbase.

10. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I have to wonder just how many people were truly put off the series by the lackluster original ending. While the BioWare forums exploded, they are a very small minority of the total audience (though being the fans who buy novels, statues, soundtracks - not unimportant).

As long as BW are able to craft another story with as colourful and vibrant a cast of characters, I'm ready for ME4. That's the real strength of the series for me.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  11. TheMDOSS1313

TheMDOSS1313 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 8, 2013
    Hearing rumors that ME4 will be revealed at VGX. Fingers crossed!!

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Can't help but feel that a player's view of ME3 can be influenced by starting with 1 or 2. If 2, 3 is a downer ending but if you start with 1 it has far more logical force due to what you see Sovereign, a lone Reaper, do. 'course, ending I saw of ME3 first time around was the extended cut.

SithLordDarthRichie and 07jonesj like this.
  13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    ME 3 was a great game except for the ending of course

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  14. Jedi_Jason5001

Jedi_Jason5001 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    It took me a long time, but I finally beat ME3 for the first time! Now, since this accomplishment was done roughly 1.5 years after the game and the extended ending DLC came out, I never did get up in arms about the pre-DLC ending. Maybe I missed out, who knows! But I will say this, I was saddened by Shep's death. Even though there was a spark/glimmer of hope when the Normandy flies away, all my time invested in Shep was still hard to take with her being dead.

Can anyone tell me, now that the extended ending DLC has come out and we are 1.5 years removed from when the game came out, if the issue of Shep being indoctrinated at the end has been put to bed? Or is it still a plausible theory even with the DLC?

15. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Heh, speaking of the ending, a new first on my adept reboot - I got killed by frakking Marauder Shields! Thought I had him dead to rights after I nailed him with the first shot; then the second missed and he greased me with a burst of gunfire. Bloody freaking hell, and I'd just taken down six Brutes, a Harvester, four Banshees, and a few of his shielded brethren in one fight to get there ... thank the Goddess for auto-save.

I think the EC epilogues put the basis of IT to rest (if you choose Synthesis or Control you see the results), but I'm sure it will live on after having about six months to brew between the initial release and the EC.

Jedi_Jason5001 and 07jonesj like this.
  16. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Honestly, the amount of effort that some people put into scouring the three games (and novels, comics too!) for evidence of the Indoctrination Theory was pretty impressive. But the Extended Cut basically killed it by omission, not to mention that each ending now shows you it's consequences.

In terms of "missing out," it depends on if you engage in schadenfreude. The BioWare Social Network was practically hell on Earth during those six months, and it's never recovered since. If you've never seen a hive of pure negativity, take a gander at the ME3 forums. Though don't stay too long, lest you be anchored there for good.

17. Jedi_Jason5001

Nov 30, 2001
    I went with Synthesis ending. I like the colour green. :p Actually, I was unsure of which ending to choose, so I walked straight and off the ledge. But after reading online some of the reasons why Synthesis was maybe a poor choice to make - symbiosis was what the Reapers have been after all along, even mentioned by Saren - I am thinking of going back and picking the destroy them all option.

18. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Actually, that's up to your interpretation.

I would not say Synthesis was what Saren was after. Saren was after subservience to the Reapers. The Reapers didn't want Synthesis either. The Reapers wanted to wipe out all others, so that you were Reapers; they wanted uniformity. Synthesis still maintains each race (turians are still turians, asari are still asari), and they're all stood on equal levels, so nobody is subservient as in Saren's vision and nobody is exterminated like in the Reapers' vision.

I picked Synthesis for my canon Shepard because I think it's the most interesting. Organics are given aspects of synthetics. So what could that be? Let me also say that most of this stuff would be up to the individual if they wanted to use them. It's no more "forcing your will upon others" than destroying an entire race (or two entire races) in Destroy.

Perhaps organics could now share thoughts and memories with each other, as the Geth do. Perhaps there would be a much bigger Consensus, a digital place that every race could visit and share ideas, and create scenarios within, for entertainment or as a demonstration for what could happen in reality.

And with the Reapers still alive, we could possibly honour the races that were wiped out by what was essentially a programming error by the Leviathans.

Circular Logic likes this.
  19. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Synthesis also has the example of Legion - he pretty much did the same thing on Rannoch: sacrificing himself to alter the Geth and give them increased intelligence and free will. I have to admit, after that I feel a bit of a disapproving look from that flashlight if I go for Destroy.

With that said, I usually end up going for Destroy, even though it's a poor way to repay the Geth and EDI for their contributions. Synthesis just feels too ... pat. La-di-da, organics and synthetics are one, the wisdom of the ages is now available through the now-benevolent Reapers, everyone's walking around whistling hi-ho as the galaxy rebuilds, immortality may now be possible, etc. No mention of how people feel about suddenly waking up with circuitry all through them. No mention of what happens to the Reaper creatures - anyone care to think about what happens when a husk regains sapience and looks in the mirror? Or for that matter, do the separate human and batarian bits of a Cannibal continue to function as one being? How about how stable the "minds" of all those Reaper-fied civilizations are, given their collected memories and knowledge were forcibly ripped from the bodies of those beings as they were being dissolved alive? Or what about what those minds have done over the millennia - are the preserved civilizations inside a Reaper aware of the uncountable horror and suffering they caused while unable to resist or object? Or were they just reduced to an amoral mass of programs that saw the harvesting procedure as the most efficient means of achieving their goal?

Destroy on the other hand does what we wanted to do since Sovereign first addressed Shepard on Virmire: end the Reapers forever. It ends a "programming error" that decided the most efficient way to "preserve" life in the galaxy was to harvest it every 50,000 years in a means that can only be described as pure nightmare rocket fuel. It puts the harvested civilizations and Reaper creatures out of their misery. If Synthesis is inevitable, let the beings of the galaxy come to that point on their own rather than having one badly wounded individual under unimaginable stress make a red/blue/green choice. Losing EDI and the Geth is a heartbreaker, but on the same token it removes the biggest threat in galactic history once and for all.

20. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    Destroy was the best choice IMO. That was Shepard's character.

Yep, killing EDI and Geths was tragic, but other options were worse. Control was a no-go. You would become the new Joffrey-child and in time you'll see the wisdom of Reapers (their will will defeat your wills). Also, Gods get corrupted by their power and with destroy Shepard became essentially a God. 50k years later, the galaxy would have been again on war. Synthesis was space magic at is purest, it wasn't believable and it didn't make sense.

So, I went with destroy. Sad and tragic, but that's war. Geths will be remembered.

By the way, the entire ending was poor. Very poor. I don't think that I have felt that depressed for any type of entertainment as after I finished that game. It ruines essentially one of my favourite game sagas of all time and since then (almost 2 years now) I didn't had the will power to play the games again, considering how stupid the end will be. Shame. Hopefully they improve their mistakes on the next Dragon Age.

21. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    I think at this point, my feelings about ME3 could probably best be summed up by a certain line from WarGames:

"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play."

QFT. I sold my copy of ME3 several months ago, just too many bad memories and no reason to keep it around. Still have the other two, and occasionally pick them up, but my desire to play them has diminished.

In other news though, the guy who made the Mass Effect mods for Civ V recently released the Reapers. I've already played a couple of matches against them, and... they can be tough, even if you're on a team against just them. Still beat them though, and militarily at that. (No Deus/Diablos ex Machinas, just old fashioned hard work, determination, teamwork, strategy, a small amount of luck, and lots of big guns. :p )

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  22. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    I'm still chugging through ME3 on a regular basis, mainly because I like the gameplay. Screwups with the plot and ending aside, it's the most damned satisfying entry in the series as far as combat. Between the faster pace, the wider variety of moves (replaying ME1 and ME2 gets frustrating; so much for rolling, jumping, or running halfway across the field without getting fatigued), the crazy inventory of guns and mods, and the up-to-11 nature of powers and combos it's still entertaining. I tend to spend a lot of time on the Combat Sim matches in the Citadel DLC because of that ... and because it lets me team up with Wrex and Grunt to go shotguns-and-bayonets on mooks [face_devil]

23. Jedi_Jason5001

Nov 30, 2001
    I completely agree with you about the ending being very depressing. I have started a second playthrough with my imported ME3 character and I still feel a sense of melancholy over the ending. Next time I reach the end, I will probably go with Destroy, just so I can finish the task start three years earlier IU and maybe see Shepard still live!

24. Jedi_Jason5001

Nov 30, 2001
    I'm starting a second playthrough of ME3 with the first ME3 character I used.

I am wondering, would it be better to buy weapons from stores or should I just continually upgrade the ones I have? I still have two Spectre weapons waiting to be bought, but it takes a while to get to $200,000 credits.

25. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Aside from the three weapons available at the Spectre Requisitions terminal, every gun is either picked up on a mission or immediately added to your inventory after purchasing DLC. If you're buying it from a store, it means you missed getting it for free on a mission. As far as the Spectre guns, in my opinion the Black Widow is the only one that's really worth the purchase and even then only my soldier and infiltrator picked it up (and my soldier rarely uses it). It's heavy and sacrifices some punch compared to the Javelin and Widow, but with three shots at a clip plus a concentration mod, extended barrel, and AP ammo I can one-shot a Brute in the head and then quickly take out two footsoldiers before reloading.

My adept picked up the M-11 Wraith shotgun, but frankly I'm finding the M-22 Eviscerator to be more useful - it sacrifices a little punch in return for being lighter and it fires three shots at a clip as opposed to just two. Likewise my engineer has the M-77 Paladin, which is not a huge improvement over the M-6 Carnifex (lighter, more damage, but half the rounds per clip) and is outclassed by the M-11 Suppressor and the Executioner as a dedicated sharpshooter's pistol.