main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Missed or wasted opportunities in the show?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR, Aug 21, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I meant that TCW shouldn't have preteneded that the audience doesn't know. In other words, TCW should have done things the way ROTS does post-Windu duel instead of the way TPM, AOTC, and ROTS pre-Windu duel do things.

Darth Valkyrus likes this.
  2. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    It didn't do all that good a job pretending, IMHO.

3. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I also think it would have been cool if they revealed IG-88 to have been built to bounty hunt for Grevious.

4. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Nonetheless, only taking advantage of it once or twice still counts as a missed opportunity in my book.

My point exactly. With that thin of a veil, why bother?

Yunno, I would have liked some more inclusion of IG droids in the Separatist forces like the IG Lancer droids in the microseries, but it seems they pretty immediately became fringe droids, runnin' around with Cad Bane and such. Kinda dilutes IG-88's story, that there would be multiple IG-series independent bounty hunting droids.

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I would have loved if TCW revealed that Palpatine's pre-Windu duel appearance isn't his true appearance.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  6. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    That doesn't even make sense. How could it not be his true appearance?

Unless you're going to argue that his face prior to Windu wasn't real flesh, wasn't his actual body, but was some sort of rubber or plastic stuck on to hide his "true" face. Which would be stupid considering the amount of scanning devices everywhere in the SWU that would pick up that something wasn't right with his face.

7. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    There's also the http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mask_(Sith_Alchemy)]Sith[/url] Mask theory...

8. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Some already called attention to the fact that Palpatine's teeth were different when he showed up to fight Maul vs. when he's in his Chancellor Palpatine role. Mainly that his teeth look more rotten and akin to his teeth in ROTJ. It was the same in the microseries when Darth Sidious contacted Dooku via hologram, his teeth would be way more messed up than when he's making appearances as a politician.

The fact that nearly a decade later there hasn't been a definitive answer as to what happened to Palpatine is irritating IMO, with various sources either implying, or outright saying, contradictory things - he used a Sith ritual to hide his "true" face; his face was disfigured by lightning; he deformed as a result of calling upon too much dark side energy to fuel his lightning.

At least one appearance pre-Mace duel with his messed up face, or one appearance post-Mace duel with his normal face would have dispelled the notion that he was disfigured by lightning, but this never happened in the films or TCW (though it seemed to be the case in the microseries). While a novel like the Plagueis novel indicates that Force lightning has the capability of physically altering those it hits, and then there's the story Sithisis which suggests Palpatine uses Sith alchemy to hide his disfigured face.

Too many conflicting possibilities, and I just find it odd that in a fictional franchise like Star Wars where everything is answered in the EU or some visual dictionary, if not on screen directly, that contradictions still exist regarding something as unimportant (though still incredibly conspicuous) as why Palpatine's face changes. It's not like the question of whether Plagueis created or did not create Anakin - which to my understanding was intentionally left vague in the films - the story doesn't benefit in any way from keeping mystery surrounding why lightning apparently disfigures Palpatine's face, while nobody else hit by it is affected in such a way in the films or TCW.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    There's also a line in the ROTS novel where Palpatine says something to the effect of "Hm, Sidious's face will have to do" after he kills Mace and notices his face in a mirror. I'll try to find that passage later, but it seems Stover skirted the subject as much as he could.

It could have an easy explanation, but there hasn't been much effort to rectify it. It's almost like Yoda's inconsistent number of toes.

10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    So three and/or four and/or five and/or possibly six on the magnetic-foot one? I've always pictured four: three front, one back, and that seems to be consistent with TCW, at least.

11. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    I hope this doesn't tread on the missed opportunity thread, but anyway the title says it all. What were battles from TCW that you really wanted to see that the show never got too.

I'll go first:

Pre Vizla/any Mando vs a Jedi where the Mando actually wins.

Aayla vs Ventress.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Specifically:

"And so the mask becomes the man. I shall miss the face of Palpatine, but for my purposes I think the face of Sidious will serve. Yes, it will serve."

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Any given space battle that:

• Involved more than 5 ships on either side
    • Was not fought at ranges that would be considered point blank by any real-life surface navy in the last 100 years
    • Employed proper space combat maneuvering.
    • Showed captains and officers on the bridge giving realistic helm and weapons commands that directly correlated with what their ship was then seen to do.

But no, they never did it.

14. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    ^ Sounds like you'd be a fan of Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    A battle that the Separatists actually win.

The battle between Anakin and Ventress in which Anakin got his scar.

16. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    Anakan vs. Ventress that gave him the scar.

GIANT space battle. As in MASSIVE epicness. I love my fleets =P~

The Battle of Mandalore. That was shaping up to be awesome and then BAM! Cancellation!

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Sidious + Dooku vs. Talzin

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  18. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    There may actually have been a few of those. Most of them are mentioned rather than shown though. Screentime was mostly reserved for GR victories. Even the eps where they got it real hard (Landing at point Rain, Umbara) ultimately were Republic victories.

Hmm... an exception might be the battle during the Youngling arc in which a large CIS battlegroup under Grievous gets the jump on Obi-Wan's ships and totally curbstomps them. They blow most of the GR ships away and board Obi-Wan's, Grievous is absolutely rampant on the hangar deck. Obi-Wan has to flee his own ship.

Even there though a slight victory-from-jaws-of-defeat is given them in that they manage to set a self destruct sequence and scuttle the ship, rather than have it become a CIS war prize.

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

This^^

20. Darth Desolous

Darth Desolous Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2013
    I would have liked an Asajj + Dooku vs. Sidious duel. It could have changed history forever and end that vile Sith Lord, with that creepy laugh... but of course they can't change established canon. Or maybe Grievous actually dueling and slaying 5 Jedi in seconds.

Besides the Battle of Sarrish, I can't recall any other CIS victories mentioned in the show. And it's kinda sad that we haven't got to actually see a real Separatist victory, which shows moreover that most of the arcs followed the Republic instead of the Separatists. We never even saw Grievous in his full potential, just his failures and defeats (those exploits against the Nightsisters and Hondo's gang don't count IMO).

21. Obimus Primobi

Obimus Primobi Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2013
  22. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I'm ambivalent about this.
    On one hand, Jabiim was awesome: gruesome, grim, and ultimately tragic. A true battle.
    On the other hand, I can easily see TCW absolutely murdering it, to be honest. Anakin accepts leaving his friends to their deaths and then chokes a Republic loyalist? Nah, Anakin of TCW wouldn't do that, in my opinion.

23. Obimus Primobi

Obimus Primobi Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2013
    Yeah, they changed various elements in the Zygerrian story so I would have expected the same for a Jabiim story. Whenever either a Clone Wars battle or the comics are mentioned, Jabiim is the one that always springs to mind.
    Perfect description.

24. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    I can't imagine the canonical screen Anakin leaving friends to their deaths. Look at his behavior in Weapons Factory after the foundry was blown. And that was despite the fact that the padawans were 99.9999999% sure to be goners. They had been at ground zero of a small nuke-level blast. But Anakin just wouldn't give up.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, Anakin would not leave his friends to die even if it meant that a greater number of people or the mission itself were endangered.