main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Let's get it on!: The Mixed Martial Arts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ClarkWayne, Nov 16, 2006.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    There are going to be two great fights tonight, I think. Faber-McDonald has the potential to be a FOTY candidate, and Mendes-Lentz ought to be great too. Mendes is coming off of the Guida KO, and Lentz really does not have a bad fight on his record.

And its free!

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Big fight tonight!

Picks for Silva-Weidman II and Rousey-Tate?

I got Silva via 4th round TKO and, unfortunately, Rousey by armbar. I'll be pulling for Miesha, though.

3. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I think Sliva will pole axe CW.
    Gid what a stupid loss that was last time.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    If Silva cuts the clowning around that cost him the title the last go - around, he'll beat Weidmen.

I think Rousey beats Tate, though Meisha's done a good job of getting into Ronda's head this go around.

5. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Thing is, Tate is a class act, she hasn't done much. Ronda is such a wacko that she winds herself up over everything that she perceives as an insult (such as accusing Tate of celebrating one of her fighter's injuries on TUF, who happened to be one of Tate's best friends). Ronda's the best in the world, no doubt, but she's a real head case, and supremely aggravating.

I expect Anderson to be really good tonight.

6. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm pretty much in love with Ronda soooooo I'll be watching

k that's my contribution bai

heels1785 likes this.
  7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Looks like it's the end of the road for Chris Leben.

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Apparently a lot of Brazillians made their way to Vegas for this fight because according to the PPV Play by Play I'm reading (too broke to order the PPV or go to a bar to see it), everytime Weidman has been shown on screen thus far, he's being booed heavily.

9. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    RONDAAAAA

BRING ON THE BOOS

LOVE YOU GIRL

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    UGH! The site I was getting the PPV results from just crashed!

Edit: Wow, I think that's the first time that a Rousey fight lasted three rounds. She still took Miesha's arm though.

11. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    Wowwww, I think Silva's career just ended.

12. Yoda_S

Yoda_S Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 1999
    That was a horrrific end to the Silva fight.

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I think the descriptions of the injury maybe somewhat worse than if I'd actually seen it.

14. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    Wait until you see it. It was Kevin Ware-ish.

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    [face_sick]. Yeah... definitely better off not seeing it.

Edit: Dave Meltzer from WrestlingObserver is calling it a Sid Vicious type of break. [face_sick]

16. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    Between the Rousey-Tate fight and that Gumby leg...I'd say I picked a good night to watch my first UFC fight.

Kiki-Gonn and LloydChristmas like this.
  17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I nearly threw up.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Thankfully ESPN is showing some sense and not showing replays or stills of the injury.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well Weidman's next bout will be Vitor Belfort somewhere down the road (Dana already announced Belfort would face whoever won the Silva/Weidman rematch prior to the PPV), and Ronda Rousey will face Sara McMann at UFC 170.

20. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    What terrible luck for Silva.

Weidman gets probably the easiest two fight tittle ride in MMA history. Wins the belt by knockin out a champ who's got his hands on his waist, then retains the belt with this.

21. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Joe Thiesmann thinks that was a nasty injury

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    To be fair, if Silva hadn't been clowning around the first time once he realized Weidman wasn't falling for it, he probably would have retained the first time.

Edit: Official UFC statement on the Silva injury.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Ronda Rousey talking about Tate "insulting her family" and "spitting on her back" is utter tripe- refusing Tate's post-match handshake was classless, just as Brock Lesnar was when he screamed at Mir after knocking him senseless at 100. She's a hell of a fighter, but insufferably overdramatic.

I suppose Lesnar sold PPVs and was disliked for most of his UFC career, too. Just nice to see some class mixed in, but can't always have it.

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Very good. I like Cruz, but for the love of all things holy, he's been out for almost 3 years. Barao would destroy him, no need in holding him back.

Juliet316 likes this.