main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    But why should we care? It's not as though the future of these movies is in question. The almost-completed conclusion won't be canceled under any conceivable circumstances, much less if DoS fails to reach a ten-digit gross.

EDIT: "Rejoice in the good fortune of others"? Most of whom already have all the money they could ever need?

Point Given , Bacon164 and Ender Sai like this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    No, this is just fangirl apologetics. We understand how they built Stonehenge; it's bloody obvious when you go there. What's not obvious is how they got the stone there, which means the method of transporting the stone remains unknown to us.

Comparing that to the Nazgul prison is therefore at best tenuous. It's clearly designed for aesthetic purposes, i.e. to give dramatic effect which is a wonderful metaphor for the entire misadventure that is the Hobbit films; visually impressive, but lacking the soul or depth of the originals.

What I'd love to see is a Wheel of Time film series. Not because I enjoyed the books - I got halfway through the second before deciding that Rand was not worth my time (however the first book has a lot of running away from things, so Jackson would be perfect to direct it) - but because I want to see if Jordan fans are equally as uncritical and devoted as Tolkien fans.

RC-1991 likes this.
  3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    The Malazan series are also very good fantasies, it's just too hardcore and difficult to make movies/TV series.

4. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Weta linked this today, is a bit interesting. Makes you wonder what LOTR would have been like if the dragons having sex with cars site existed when Tolkien was around.

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The spider yells one thing, Sting, that's it.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Incorrect.

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Tolkien lambasted a critic of Beowulf for claiming that the poem contained "a wilderness of dragons," but in today's fantasy literature, that's precisely what we have. In the wake of books like The Hobbit and The Chronicles of Narnia, the shelves are packed with all manner of fantasy creatures who exist both within and far outside children's stories. Dragons now come in a veritable rainbow of colors. They burn up spores on distant planets. They help free slave cities at the beck and call of an ambitious young queen. They befriend cartoon children and serve as obstacles in wizarding competitions.

There are dragons that would likely make Tolkien despair that no glimpse of Fairie could be found in their multicolored hides. And that's natural; those of us who grew up with Smaug and his increasingly numerous successors will inevitably twist and turn dragons into new forms.

I have a slight dragon fetish. But as this points out fanatsy is as flooded with dragons as science fiction is with spaceships. So, like any book I read I have become quite particular. I occasionally buy a book on the spot, but usually I do just a tad bit of research before I finally purchase it. "Special effects without a story are a boring thing"-George Lucas. Dragons, or minotaurs, or lions or whetevr are nothing without backup. Song of The Dragon was my most recent dragon book, and goddam was that good. Staring at me today was something new on the shlef, The Red Knight. The first of three featuring a dragon hunter who defends a city, for what appears to be very little pay.

Vermithrax, Dragonslayer. This movie on the surface is cliche, but it is filled with symbology of Christian vs pagan takeover of the social status.

I am glad there are far more books out there than I can read. 90% of everything sucks and I'm sure dragon fiction is no exception.

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  9. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Legolas Skywalker, are you slowpokeking's sock? Or are you related? Genuine question.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So, what's scarier... Dragons or Spiders?

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Better dragon here:

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Uhhh no.........none of the above.

Darkslayer likes this.
  13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Obviously they're fantastical and maybe my view is influenced by the portrayals in ASOIAF/Skyrim/Hobbit, but I've come to dislike the aesthetics of four-legged dragons. They always look "off" because because reptiles/birds/mammals have body plans with only four limbs. A dragon with four legs and wings has six limbs.

RC-1991 and Volderon like this.
  14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    About to go see this with my son. I'm hoping it's better than the last one. I still have yet to make it through the entire thing without falling asleep.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Obviously your view wasn't influenced by AD&D :(

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012

The barrel escape sequence is fun as hell and I'll stand by my conviction that PJ's Smaug is the best dragon EVER in any film involving a dragon. I took my sons to see it of course and their enthusiasm only furthered my love for it. I hope your experience is just as awesome!

Darkslayer likes this.
  17. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Just got back. Overall, I enjoyed it.

At least until the
    CINEMATIC COCKBLOCK.

Bilbo: "What have we done?"
    *screen goes black*

Me: "AW COME ON!"

Darkslayer likes this.
  18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The audience in my theater groaned.

19. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I concur. I wouldn't be surprised if There And Back Again ends up looking like this at the current rate.

[​IMG]

20. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I actually really liked the way it ended. *shrug*

Darkslayer and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I like the way AUJ ended more. It made more sense as a cutoff point and it gave a teaser of what was to come.

Darkslayer likes this.
  22. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    it's certainly dumber than the last one!

23. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Dumber than Unexpected Journey?

No.
    [​IMG]
    Hell no.

24. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Honestly if you think giant rabbits attached to a sled is dumb then you shouldn't be watching a LOTR movie to begin with.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That was one of my favorite parts of the movie.
    The whole chase scene was stupid though.