main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will we possibly finally see the Whills?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TheAvengerButton, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    The only real valuable thing about the whole "whills" thing is that it has been around for ever, it came out in the novel even before the movie. There's no other original element in this geeky universe that generates that much mystery. I don't particularly agree with you on labeling it as a made for TV concept, I think it could be handled wisely, it has that potential given its history and mystery.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I think the Sith are worse than Jar Jar and midis combined.

Blazer-Smith likes this.
  3. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Guess you will hate it when sith pop up in ST then

Dra--- likes this.
  4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The Whills kind of remind me of the Numenorians(sp?) or Edain from Tolkien. They are known of but are no longer of the world. They left or disappeared long ago.
    I like them to be referenced but would rather have them remain mysterious.

Barbecue17 and Immortiss like this.
  5. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I would love to see some sort of exploration of the Whills in Episode VIII or IX, especially in relation to the Netherworld and the concept of ghosting, and possibly the prophecy as well. I have a feeling this will all become important to the plot, especially if Sidious somehow manages to return as a ghost as well.

6. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Massive bore off. Is there anything more dull in GL's idea abortion bucket?

Blazer-Smith likes this.
  7. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I don't know how people can call Whills boring when we currently know almost nothing whatsoever about them.

8. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I probably said this before but like Yoda I don't want to know too much about the Whills. I wouldn't mind hearing something about them since theyve been relegated to EU thus far, but I don't wan t to suddenly see their "life story."

9. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    I can already picture Lucas going "Well, the Whills where there from the very start. I developed the whole idea back in 1973 as an ancient order of sorts but I felt their role wan't pertinent to the story of the redemption of Anakin Skywalker so we saved that treatment and complete backstory for what would become the next trilogy. It was always planned that way all along."

10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Journal keepers how exciting. Three films about ancient force train spotters please - where do I queue for that?

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  11. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    The interesting bits of the little knowledge about the Whills which we have at this point have nothing to do with them being journal keepers, and everything to do with them being an ancient order who taught Qui-Gon how to become a ghost.

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Perhaps there's a Whont inside the Dagobah cave?

13. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    If the Whills appear, they need to have an important dramatic function, and by that I mean an emotional texture similar to that of the Jedi (serenity) and the Sith (intensity).

Great drama is about managing and contrasting feels. The Whills should bring a new feel. What would it be?

Is esoteric a feel?

Mystery Roach likes this.
  14. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    My view of the Whills is an ancient order which achieved complete mastery of the Force, both the Light and Dark side, and learned to balance them. So maybe there's kind of an ambiguity there about their true intentions and the endgame of the plans that they are using both factions to achieve.

Darth Archimage, Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  15. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    That would certainly work for me.

I don't think grayness needs to be boring. The unpredictable nature of it needs to be emphasized. Then it's interesting.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  16. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Would not that ambiguity simply be truth?

Dra--- likes this.
  17. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. I guess what I'm suggesting is that the Whills are somehow manipulating both the Jedi and the Sith to achieve some larger end goal that nobody but them knows (and perhaps have been the whole time), and that as an audience we aren't sure whether it will ultimately be for good or evil since their philosophy is beyond such dualistic concepts.

18. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I'm suggesting that mastering that duality (beyond dualistic concepts) is in essence the existential truth. That is, if the Whills are an ancient order which achieved complete mastery of the Force. Something that Luke and Qui-Gon appear to have mastered. That's why I think Netherworld immortality is not a trick. Faith, belief, obedience are required for any mastery of the Force, which grants 'natural' (willing to let go, acceptance, selfless) immortality. Does that make any sense?

As for the the intentions of such beings as the Whills? It seems to be a story they are or take some part in writing, in an Zoroastrian eschatological tradition, in which good overcomes evil to some finite end or in the 'end times'. That's my best guess.

19. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm not sure I would agree that Qui-Gon and Luke attained complete mastery of the Force. Complete mastery of the Light Side perhaps, but not both Light and Dark. Apparently Qui-Gon's speech to Yoda about being taught the secret of immortality from the Whills was only cut out of ROTS because Neeson was unavailable. If the Whills are behind the Jedi's ghosting ability, then they could be behind Palpatine's ability to return as well. So the question then becomes why. Are they trying to bring about some sort of end times? Possibly. Or maybe it's all a part of the path to balancing the Force that only they can understand. I've hypothesized in the past that Balance of the Force may only be possible if the Jedi abandon their Light Side philosophy and embrace a "larger view of the Force" because that's the only way to end the duality between Light and Dark that results in the existence of the Sith, and that this is what the Whills are working to accomplish through the Chosen One and those connected to him.

Dra--- and Immortiss like this.
  20. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    This does bring up an interesting question. Do we want to see an end of times story in Star Wars?

Dra--- likes this.
  21. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    It is interesting that you say this, because George Lucas did say that the story of the saga was a retelling by R2D2 to a Shaman of the Whills. So if Episode IX is indeed the final episode of a nine-part saga, then it wouldn't surprise me if the film ends with R2 and this mysterious Shaman, who may remain hidden in the shadows, or just out of camera view. That would be a pretty cool way to end the saga, methinks.

Mystery Roach

I do like the idea that the Whills have evolved beyond beyond good and evil; perhaps they have a more Blue and Orange Morality... Perhaps they have become one with the Force long ago, able to tap into its deepest strata, capable of feats no mortal would ever dream of. Maybe it would take ridiculous Whillpower just to commune with one, unless you are already dead, like Qui-Gon. My bad, I meant willpower. ;)

Dra---, Immortiss and Mystery Roach like this.
  22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The Chosen One prophecy always made me see the existing six movies as an end times story.

Immortiss and Mystery Roach like this.
  23. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I think that it would be a great way to end the saga.

24. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Nope

Dra--- likes this.
  25. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Why not?