main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will we possibly finally see the Whills?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TheAvengerButton, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    A renegade red Yoda Whill, who on seeing the two Sith dead, and the Jedi down to Luke and Leia, breaks rank from his non-interfering species to take over the galaxy using supreme knowledge of the force like a terrorist. Outplaying the remaining Jedi physically, mentally, spiritually, and just coming at the Skywalkers in wave after wave of attacks.

Get out of that one Luke.

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004

I'm sure we'll get some good fights, but I can't imagine anything more boring than three movies of all battles with no story.

3. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Red yoda would be goofy lol

Mystery Roach likes this.
  4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I'll stop now

5. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    No chance of the GFFA being destroyed. Did you see what Disney paid for it?

Also, Lucas has said before (insert joke here) that he would like to do a GFFA story set thousands of years post Saga, where the GFFA is so advanced it's almost unrecognizable.

(Warning Philosophy Speak Below):

I love the discussion about the ST moving beyond Good and Evil. Two of the primary logical ways of breaking the binary down in Philosophy are Hegelian logic and Derridian deconstruction. With Hegel the two terms are synthesized or "destroyed" (sublated) in order to make a third new term/concept. This is considered dialectical logic. For example, being and nothingness are not two mutually exclusive opposites, but viewed together become a third synthesized concept: becoming. Reality is a becoming rather than being or nothingness. This thought has moral implications. If reality can never be a pure emptiness then is always simply in a state of change. This suggests apocalyptic belief systems are produced by binary thought.

Deconstruction wouldn't put the two terms together, but destroy or equalize the silent hierarchy implied by the binary structure. As Derrida pointed out, the first term is the privileged term whereas the second is underprivileged (pun intended). This hierarchy is what gives the binary structure its meaning: White/black, good/evil, presence/absence. This sort of thinking infects our language with hidden inequalities: male/female, American/unAmerican, and so on.

Deconstruction removes the hierarchy by pointing out how the first term depends on the second for its meaning and by reversing the terms. It doesn't reverse them to create a new hierarchy, but simply to show the arbitrariness of binary logic. In fact, both terms are meaningless without the other. Furthermore, deconstruction points out middle concepts like "ghost" that expose the limitation of the binary. A ghost is not either alive or dead, but alive and dead, or undead.

The Jedi Ghosts already deconstruct the supposed binary metaphysics of Star Wars. Star Wars is already beyond Good and Evil. ;)

kubricklynch, TKT, Immortiss and 4 others like this.
  6. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I would like to see a movie where the Jedi realize the Sith are better and the Sith realize the Jedi are better. They all switch sides and practice on the other side of the force.

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Is it possible that the Whonts will be angry about the destruction of their pawns (the Sith)?

8. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    Since watching Fringe, I've pictured the Whills as the GFFA's version of it's first few seasons of the Observers (kind of) - Evolved beings who use their technology and knowledge of their time period to travel through time and space to help keep the galaxy moving in the right direction. The Whonts could be the same beings who want to manipulate events for their own advantage (season 5 Observers?).

Fedoras are all the rage for episodes VII and beyond. :p.

Dra--- and Circular Logic like this.
  9. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    What if the Whills are really from the far distant future? Perhaps they come from the end of time to try and fix it all before it goes bad.

Dra--- likes this.
  10. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Anakin is the key. He is the 'Chosen One'. But if you think about it, his balancing act is an externality and plays out throughout the existing saga. His actions demonstrate the balance as it is applied to the other characters (Jedi/Sith) in the story. He is always internally conflicted, until the end, when he has fulfilled his role. By contrast, Qui-Gon and Luke represent the internal balance. The one that every 'normal' Jedi must strive to achieve. I say normal as opposed to a 'Chosen' status. Anakin represents a necessary anomaly. He is the flood and the fire.

Dra--- and Mystery Roach like this.
  11. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Chewbacca89, you are but dust struggling against cosmic winds. You've changed nothing. You have the attention of those infinitely your greater. That which you know as Whonts are your salvation through destruction.

Your words are as empty as your future. I am the vanguard of your destruction. This exchange is over.

Whont: We impose order on the chaos of fan speculation. It exists because we allow it, and it will end because we demand it. Millions of years after your speculation has been eradicated and forgotten, we will endure.

I can imagine the Whont controlling the neo-Sith with subconscious programming and implants:

Sith character: Urghhh! The implants...[Insert Whont's name] is too strong!
    Protagonist: No...there's still a way...if you've got what it takes!
    Sith character: Thank you, [insert protagonist's name]...goodbye...
    *Sith character commits seppuku by lightsaber*

I like how I'm not-so-subtly spoiling key plot points in the Mass Effect series.

Dra--- and Darth Archimage like this.
  12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Had the Whills not taught Qui-Gon how to Force-Ghost, Luke wouldn't have known to use The Force at Yavin and would have missed the exhaust port. Palpatine would have used the Death Star to destroy the universe.

Dra--- likes this.
  13. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I always believed that Qui-Gon following the path of the Living Force, and trusting in his instincts, was something that all Jedi should strive for, and was seemingly rejected by most of the PT-era Jedi. It is interesting too, that Luke trusts in his instincts, which allow him to destroy the first Death Star. I do believe that Luke follows the Living Force just as much as Qui-Gon does, and this is what makes him both a powerful Jedi and a truly compassionate individual.

I'm going to reply to the post below mine here:
    A fascinating idea, one I can get behind. It'll be some sort of cosmic library, perhaps one existing outside of normal time and space, like a higher dimension, sort of like Mortis. Given that Qui-Gon's spirit found its way to Mortis even before he contacted Yoda at the end of RotS, this is an idea that can definitely hold water. I like it! :)

Dra--- and darklordoftech like this.
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Since the Whills were originally chroniclers I thought an interesting idea would be that they live on a planet that is one huge library that holds all the knowledge and history of the GFFA. Perhaps it was a planet of legend and completely lost until Qui-Gon rediscovered it at some point prior to TPM and learned the power to become a Force ghost. Now the heroes need to find it in order to discover a piece of knowledge or something that would help them defeat the main villain.

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Episode IX could end with C-3PO saying to the Whills, "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..."

Immortiss likes this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Except it wouldn't be a galaxy far, far away to him.

Odolwa likes this.
  17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    He's telling the story in another galaxy.

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  18. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I don't care if they drop the archivist element from the Whills completely. I don't need to know who's telling the story, much less see it on screen.

Immortiss, Dra--- and Odolwa like this.
  19. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    The Whills will be the key to traveling back to the past because you KNOW that with a JJ movie we will visit the past.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes, because maybe JJ is really Doctor Who. Mystery Box anyone. Mind. Blown. :p

Dra--- likes this.
  21. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    You guys...George Lucas is the alien storyteller in a different galaxy! He Whilled all of this. He's a Whill. We're all Whills! I'm Whill Immortiss, pleased to meet you. Just put Whill in front of your last name.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Put the bottle down, Immortiss, it's not New Year's yet. :p

Immortiss likes this.
  23. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    BTW-HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  24. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Happy New Year to you as well. :)

Immortiss likes this.
  25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I feel like the Sith have had their day and it's time for the Whonts to replace them as the ultimate evil in the GFFA.