main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Or it is an in universe propaganda piece and never actually happend [face_batting]

2. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    There were TIE Defenders at the Battle of Exodo and seemed pretty common throughout the Vong War.

They also quadrapled their territory after the Vong War (and remember, Delvardus and his meager holdings managed to build an Executor in the space of a few years).

3. Pelranius

Apr 25, 2003
    Like Boonta Hutt's resilience against the Vong? :cool:

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    At tremendous cost though, it's suggested. I wondered if he'd actually taken a ship that was already under construction into the Deep Core once its engines were complete, and finished it there- a bit like with Kuat and the Eclipse.

Since Delvardus's old holdings were in the Night Hammer oversector, I thought the ship was named after the Oversector- until the Warlords of the Empire article came out.

Regarding Remnant shipbuilding- it did seem to me like they might be trending away from big ships- creating the smaller Turbulent as a replacement for the Imperial, and in the Legacy era relying on Pellaeons rather than larger ships.

5. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Pfff

[​IMG]

MercenaryAce likes this.
  6. Pelranius

Apr 25, 2003
    Exactly! I know a New School Hutt Masters painting when I see one!

Though the NSHM usually isn't in the habit of showing Hutt defeats. Could this be a subversive work by a Klatoonian revolutionary?

Gamiel likes this.
  7. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    I don't think there were more than three Assertors ever built (and we see two of them in that picture of Validusia, so those might be all of them).

As for their construction and service-time, I think it most likely, that they have nothing to do with Byss, but were a project of the Imperial Cabal / the Imperial Interim Ruling Council right after the battle of Endor as a way to counter those break-away warlords, who took Executors and battlecruisers with them (like Zsinj and Kaine) as well as to replace all those big ships, that vanished towards Byss. One of the Assertor's might even have made it there later (and might have seen service during ShadowHand with that BaseDeltaZero-operation), while the other(s) might have been lost in inter-imperial squabble (they might even have fought each other).

Concerning the shipbuilding abilities of the ImperialRemnant, at the time of HoT it is stated, that the IR controls "a thousand worlds out of a million, with 200 star destroyers left from a fleet, that once counted 25,000 and a single, large shipyard - Yaga Minor (also the seat of the IR's last Ubiqtoriate-base)". According to old "Fuss'n'Failure"-Pellaeon, that isn't enough to successfully re-arm and challegne the NR, but one shouldn't forget the events depicted in "Darksaber" and "Isard's Revenge".
    In the first we have an Imperial Warlord, who successfully uses the limited resources of his DeepCore-holdings to construct an Executor (even one with special anti-sensor-coating) with thousands of TIE-fighters aboard, not to mention the achivement of the Hutts very own attempt at a DeathStar, in the second the NR-council is highly alarmed and concerned about the possibility of the two dozen worlds of the Ciutric-hegemony constructing a forty kilometer-wide "Pulsar-station".
    On the other side Pellaeon's IR - which is located in the thinly and only (by galactic standards) recently settled Northern Territories might lack the industrial and scientific infrastructure of the more older and more developed Ciutric, as well as access to a mind as brilliant (even if somewhat deranged) like Bevel Lemilisk.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Might the Wrath have been one of the two at Validusia?

9. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    If there were only two ever built, than one has to be Wrath. If there were three chances are 66%, that one of the two at Validusia was Wrath.

10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    I would not call it much of an achievement, seeing how it did not work ;)

Though it is discredited in the very same briefing.

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Didn't they eventually build one that did work- and sell at least one such superlaser to Booster Terrik to install on the Errant Venture? Or was that more fan-theory than outright confirmed?

12. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Don’t think it is ever outright stated, but it’s actions in Edge of Victory and Enemy Lines, as well as the NJO Sourcebook heavily hint at that he acquired at least something in the direction of a Superlaser from the Hutts, which always got me wondering if they actually have a few of those set up for planet defense, in a similar manner to the Superlaser in the Dubrillion mission from the Rebel Strike game.

[​IMG]

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That seems ludicrously long-ranged- even Saxton & West Reynolds only gave the DS1 a maximum range of 420 million km (and an optimum range of 2 million km- somewhat more than what we see them firing from in the movie- the ANH novel says "six planetary diameters" which looks about right.)

14. Pelranius

Apr 25, 2003
    With a one light year range, the target would have plenty of time to simply move out of the way.

15. Pelranius

Apr 25, 2003
    The Hutts managed to get enough material out of the Hoth asteroid belt to build the Darksaber (though we don't know how large the bloody thing was).

Pellaeon did have the industrial machinery of the Pentastar Alignment, which sounds pretty significant.

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Unless, somehow, it's an FTL weapon.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is that Duros swordsmen?

18. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Afaik Enemy Lines hints at something like that when they use it to hit a World Ship in orbit over Coruscant, though don't have it here to check.

Jilruan warriors.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jilruan

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Starlancer_Project

I think at the time it was supposed to be a Mon Cal ship "just outside the system" that was simulating the first test shots, to convince the Vong that it was the Starlancer.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    They most be near-duros.

21. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    'Star Lancer' (Enemy Lines) was a complete and utter hoax. The 'Venture' (AFAICR) had nothing to do with it anyway.

22. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Or Chiss 8-} Could be distant relatives, though sadly way to obscure to be sure.

Ah thx, thought they had used the Venture for it, though that could have just been my mind trying to connect the Starlancer with the weapon the NJO sourcebook hints at.

Yep I also doubt it actually works on that range, properly the reason for the "reputedly" in there.

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup. But something was shooting at a worldship- even if it did little harm- to make the hoax convincing. That Mon Cal Cruiser, I'm told.

24. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
  25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The Assertor and Bellator are both instances of 'added for the sake of being added' to canon. We had no previous instances of them existing, they exist in one source, and now we have to work out where they were... Fun in concept but pains thereafter... :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorefiend likes this.