main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

It's even worse.

Wait until the inevitable superior 150-minute fancut of the entire trilogy entitled The Hobbit: In Which It's About The Hobbit

tom, RC-1991 and Bacon164 like this.
  2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

What do you know about it? NOTHING :p

Darkslayer and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  3. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE DUMB. DUH.

4. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Tolkien's Legacy.

And that's basically my thoughts on the movie after watching it for the first time late last week (and the film trilogy as a whole thus far). Lots of other people in this thread have laid out my problems with it. It's a shame because for how deeply flawed The Lord of the Rings film trilogy was, it was still a work of greatness. I can watch all three extended editions numerous times over. Not so The Hobbit, which I have no desire to see again or acquire the DVDs for, extended edition or otherwise. It does have some really nice moments and beautiful scenery, but overall it has lived up to neither the greatness of the previous trilogy nor the written material on which it's based at all.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  5. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Also...is it just me or were the Orcs really given a huge stamina handicap in this? They're as fragile as Star Wars battle droids.

It's like their skeletons are made completely out of cartilage. There is no way that an arrowhead would pass completely through two bone skulls. Not possible.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Saw Desolation of Smaug today and loved it.
    Better than Unexpected Journey. Didn't drag.
    The scenery and such was amazing.
    Legolas was 100% unnecessary but he was still so much fun to watch.
    Pretty funny as well.
    Still felt bummed at the ending though. Knew it was coming but wow.

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

:mad:No he wasn't, he was necessary and he was awesome like usual :p

8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    No he was actually completely unnecessary.

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    No complaints from me. Worked fine for me.

10. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    There's a version of The Hobbit that works completely fine without Legolas - the novel. Isn't that the definition of unnecessary?

11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Still fun as heck watching him kill everyone.
    I was entertained so I don't care about that.

Darkslayer and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Well it worked fine cause Legolas wasn't even created when the novel was written. :p

It made sense to put Legolas into the films for 3 reasons

1. He is the son of Thandruil

2. He is from Mirkwood

3. He is immortal like all Elves

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I like Legolas, but he seemed like a different character in this film. He wasn't his usual adventurous self. He just scowled and chased his GF around and shot stuff up. That wasn't the Legolas of LOTR. Legolas in those films was sort of a free-spirit and a noble guy.

14. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    You've said that 3 times now, so I'm starting to question if you were actually entertained by it or not.

Legolas Skywalker, you bring shame to your username. Do you have no idea at all about Tolkien? Of course the character was already created at the time of the Hobbit. Serious shame. You'd be betteroff called Bombur Skywalker.

15. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I also resent the lessening of his friendship with Gimli, because hey Tauriel (Original Character, Please Do NOT Steal) got there first and way faster too.

tom and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Don't forget, The Hobbit took place 60 years before LOTR so Legolas was younger and more reckless and shows a lot that he hates Dwarves, so in TABA we can see him change a bit to like he was in LOTR.

17. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    100 years is a mere blink etc.

Excuses.

tom, Ender Sai and Bacon164 like this.
  18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    At any rate, the argument is contradictory. if 60 years is some huge amount of time and he's still supposed to quite young, and I don't see why he'd be part of a multi-racial expedition of this sort of importance. It would seem like LOTR would be a much more appropriate debut. If, on the other hand, 60 years is not really meaningfully, and his personality is well set, then he shouldn't be so different between the two films. Especially since I'm not really sure what is supposed to change for him between then and now.

19. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

Relevance to the actual story: Nil.

20. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    But...but...without Legolas....who would be there to use a dead Orc as a surfboard?

WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE ORC SURFBOARDS?

21. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Or they could just get the Rankin-Bass animated version, where Gollum is a giant toad and Smaug is a dino-grumpycat.

22. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Without Legolas who would buy the inevitable videogame tie ins?

23. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    The Dwarves can carry a game on their own.
    [​IMG]
    See?

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    No, he was a one dimensional waste of time and space, who added nothing to the story and explained why Orlando Bloom has not had a career in film since. Honestly, you may like his witless acrobatics but had the been beaten to a pulp and left for dead, then and only then would his presence in the film be good.

25. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Did the 3D give anyone else a headache? I was fine but my little brother got a massive, splitting headache during the last 20 minutes (I imagine all the fire being thrown around didn't help) and I felt so guilty for subjecting him to that, the poor dear. He didn't even say anything…Besides that, he liked it -- more than the first one.

I can't say I was too impressed with the dragon's design, though. Maybe it's because I finally got the chance to play Skyrim over Christmas (yay!) but Smaug seemed rather generic. Benedict Cumberbatch gave a good performance, though, and was suitably intimidating but I do wish they hadn't processed his voice quite so much. I found it rather distracting.

Besides that, I liked it better than the first one, but that isn't saying much. The whole thing is like a giant blur in memory. I did find some things rather jarring, though. Like when Bilbo just kills that baby spider and then it's forgotten about. They just really need to trim the fat off these movies (yeah, not exactly an original thought…). No Sauron, no Legolas, no girl-elf, no love triangle. Just get to the good stuff (basically, what's in the book).

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but did anyone else do a double take at Thorin surfing on molten gold in a metal wheelbarrow? I mean, I know Middle-Earth is a fantasy realm but that just seemed particularly egregious to me. They should just use it as a shield to protect themselves from Smaug if it's really that great of an insulator.