main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Disney/Pixar Movies Thread (for anything non-Marvel/SW)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Xalfrea, Dec 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Did I stutter droolboy?

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  2. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Anderson's are not brutally depressing or depressing at all. Maybe one or two? Only Grimm's are.

3. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    So get this. Frozen plays up with how Anna and Elsa are the two protagonists and how being sisters plays huge role in the story.

In the original screenplay, Elsa would've straight up been the villain and would've been much more like the titular character of the Andersen story. The circumstances behind her flight and fall off the slippery slope would've still played out in the original screenplay, except that Elsa would share no sentiment towards the kingdom and not give a crap about it being on ice. In the end she would've been redeemed.

Some of the cut songs exemplify this, like "Life's Too Short" which was meant to play where the First Time in Forever reprise was going to be. Another song, "Spring Festival" was also discussing some Troll Prophecy that was axed when the movie removed that plot point and Elsa being more humanized. Other cut songs include a song where Anna feels inferior to Elsa (Replaced with For the First Time in Forever), a more traditional romantic song between Anna and Hans (Replaced with Love is an Open Door), and a grander rendition of Kristoff's Reindeer Song.

Perhaps the the Lopez's, more used to Broadway, wrote the songs first before the story and screenplay were written. I could be wrong on this, but given the importance of musical numbers in Broadway productions, perhaps that was how it went initially for Frozen as well. For movies with musical numbers, I believe it's the other way around.

But what caused this whole change in the story, screenplay and everything into the one we know now? "Let it Go" the very first song written for the movie (SPECIFICALLY for Idina Menzel BTW). The power and characterization of the song that delves into the psyche of Elsa's character and making her more sympathetic is why we ended up with what we got. For curiosity's sake I would like to see it as it was intended, maybe in bonus features on the home release, but I think what we ultimately turned up with was for the better and gives the movie a more personal feel instead.

Thrawn1786 likes this.
  4. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Holy **** can you please hide your spoilers? The movie hasn't even been out a week and this isn't even a Frozen thread. Ugh.

5. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    In the UK and France, I believe it hasn't been out a week, but I do apologize.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I also think Atlantis is severely underrated. It's visually stunning with a great voice cast (Leonard Nimoy FTW).

7. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    I didn't even realize until I bought Atlantis earlier this year that Nimoy voiced the King. He does do an amazing job of it, particularly in his last scene before his character's death.

8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    It's really too bad it was such a box office disappointment. That was one of the few Disney films from the Dark Ages that was worth viewing at least twice.

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Agreed. Great concept. Its basically Stargate wrapped in Jules Verne. How can you not love that mash-up

10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    It is eerily similar to Stargate in several ways.

11. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
  12. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

At one point that was basically the concept for The Incredibles and then Pixar shied away from that idea. That might say something.

13. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
  14. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Right? It was a right pile of steaming crap.

15. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

[​IMG]

It's a great film. Trousdale and Wise were the most cinematic of the Disney directors in that period - shame that the financial failure of Atlantis scuppered their careers.

They also understood that if you're going to re-tell Dances With Wolves and not really do anything interesting with any of the characters per se, do it in less than 90 minutes.

Also, I agree with anyone who didn't like Frozen. That film is thin, thin, thin. Tangled was much better.

16. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
  17. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

Not distribution rights from what I understand. And even now, Paramount keeps the rights to the existing movies.

18. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Eh. For the life of me I'll never understand the corporate business world.

19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Frozen will come close, but I don't really see it surpassing The Lion King.

20. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013

Opinions are like buttholes; everyone has their own.

I don't find Tangled bad, in fact I find it amazing and easily among my Top 5.

Frozen though I just find better.

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    These lists never really matter unless they're adjusted for inflation, anyways. I'm sure Snow White is still #1, and will remain there, out of all the Disney movies.

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought Cinderella made more money adjusted for inflation?

23. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Does anyone think Disney will ever release more sequels as part of the canon line, ala RDU, WTP (2011), and Fantasia 2000?

Quite frankly, I hope they don't. An occasional sequel could be fine, but too much of it would be a problem. Most of the canon films have no chance of getting a canon sequel in any case due to the presence of the horrible DTV junk (Aladdin, TLK, TLM, HOND, A:TLE, L&S, ect.) but a few, like SWATSD, and many of the latest films, from HOTR on, never got DTV-junk sequels.

What do you think? Future Canon sequels or no? I say no.

24. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Please God no.

Darth Xalfrea likes this.
  25. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah, I'm going to second that. Disney seems to be following a trend of adapting its better films for live theatre. Considering that Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Mary Poppins and Aladdin, which I saw yesterday, have all been excellent, its a trend that I am happy to see continue.