main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Luke and Han or Anakin and Obi-Wan?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Force Smuggler, Dec 12, 2013.

1. skyrimcat9416

skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2013
    Anakin and Obi-Wan.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe in the ST we'll see more interaction between Luke and Han?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That's crazy talk!

4. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Han and Obiwan. Ditch the whiny Skywalkers and let's get a beer!

TX-20, Sarge and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  5. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Luke and Han by a parsec !

Anakin and Obiwan - no chemistry , poor performances , just never worked , real shame would've helped the prequels enormously if this friendship had been better portrayed .

TOSCHESTATION and Sarge like this.
  6. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    Id have to say that Han and Luke are the better friends in that it's an eternally loyal relationship and they didn't try to murder each other on multiple occasions, but I personally enjoy the Anakin-Obi combo much more. Luke and Han seem to only bond (on screen) through their shared experiences and sense of loyalty, while with A&O you see more interpersonal interaction.

In a way though, the actual over-arching friendship of the entire sage is R2 and 3PO

7. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    QFT. Couldn't agree more.

8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    For me, Luke/Han never transcends the "aw shucks, we are friends" wrap-up of ANH. Anakin/Obi-Wan, however, explores a greater range of relationship dynamics throughout the three films. The fact that they're not frequently chumming around I see as appropriate to the tragic tale being told, and the lack of over-bearing or obvious warmth is likewise essential, as it makes me wonder how both Anakin and the Republic's path may have differed if Qui-Gon survived and didn't have to pass on the responsibility of training Anakin in a dying wish. I realize that's a major weakness for a lot of viewers, but again, it's a strength for me; and more than a strength, it's the whole point. When I see Obi-Wan in the prequels, I don't just see a teacher or brother/father figure, but a representation of a Republic that is basically just and determined to strive for peace, yet inevitably flawed enough that it can't help but aid evil even as it fights it. And when I see Anakin, I don't just see a whiny teen who argues with his teacher, but rather the very hope of the Jedi destroying the system that helped cultivate it in the name of misguided dogma.

So pretty much what others have said. Luke/Han is the better snapshot of a healthy friendship. But for me, Anakin/Obi-Wan is far more of an integral and intriguing component of its trilogy.

9. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    In the films Luke and Han, but if you add the EU then Anakin and Obi-wan.

I am a Anakin fan mostly because of the EU books and TCW cartoons and the orginal cartoons by Genndy Tartarkovsky. That was were they got the friendship right. Almost the first half of the ROTS novelization is devoted to the rescue of the Chancellor and there friendship shows eve stronger there because you have their internal thoughts plus Matthew Strovers "This is how it feels to be Anakin/Obiwan sections" In James Lucerno's Labryinth of Evil you have the two of them Bar hopping at one point. In the 2d Clone Wars you have the whole scene were they Anakin eats bugs to gross out Obi-wan. In the TCW cartoons they had severa great arcs where there friendship really shines and then in Season four the council sends Obi-wan on a secret mission where they set it up that a bounty Hunter has killed Obi-wan, when in actuality Obi-wan went on a mission impersonating the bounty hunter and Anakin thought his master was dead and was even more of an emotional wreck then normal.

TX-20 and Iron_lord like this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You're crazy talk!

11. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Same here. I absolutely loathe the PT presentation of Anakin and find none of that "and he was a good friend" stuff that Obi-Wan mentioned in ANH. While their friendship is shown in full effect in TCW.

Luke and Han for the films.
    Anakin and Obi-Wan for TCW.

12. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't like either. Neither is truly handled well or in-depth enough to me.

13. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Is it Tarkin and Dooku? :-B

14. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    Funny you should say that both Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing were real life best friends, Lee was at one point considered for the role of Tarkin.

15. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    That'd be interesting to see a 35 year-younger Lee on Star Wars.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  16. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Drenn: Lee and Cushing were true friends and their bonds is indeed part of why I admire them so. I would say yes, Tarkin and Dooku except I never saw the boys together in SW.

17. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Since the creation of TCW, it is Anakin and Obi-Wan by far for me(much more multi-faceted). Luke and Han's friendship is really only interesting and fun in ANH, after that there really isn't much to it with Han being concerned with Leia and Luke dealing with his father. Honestly, Han and Luke isn't even the most interesting friendship that includes Han(Han and Chewie is better, and IMO Lando and Han is more fun as well.)

18. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Anakin and Obi-Wan. My favorite example is when Anakin drops back into the elevator and Obi-Wan activates his lightsaber and nearly strikes Anakin saying, "Oh It's you.." Anakin gives Kenobi a disgruntled look and an argument breaks out. :D XD

19. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Why do we have to make a choice?

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Was just curious.

21. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Neither. My vote is for Han and Chewie. :D