main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Rebels 3"75 inch Figures

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Ani501st, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    So as you know Hasbro will launch a new line in 2014 with the Rebels series.

The packaging has been releaved :
    http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-rebels-action-figure-packaging-revealed.html

The description said multiple point of articulation but it is false.
    As we see it in the Q&A with JAT : 5 POA like saga legends so bad figures for kids.
    http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=12516
    Q: With th release of Rebels next fall, any plans for any figures, and if so , will they be animated or realistic style?
    A: Hasbro is actually still looking into this. They had nothign ready to show us at the Preview Party. But Jeff did state that they will match the style of the show. They will definitely come with five points of articulation.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Hmmm, if they're going with 5 points of articulation I'd just assume they go with an animated style to give the line some pizazz.

The packaging is fine. Reminiscent of what we've seen before. Not likely to collect this one, but my Nephew should be the right age for it by then. Might make a good intro for him.

3. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Is the animation going to be in the same style of the Clone Wars?

4. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Judging by the picture I saw of the new villain (The Inquisitor), I'd say yes. It has the same basic creative team, so that synergy suggests to me that it's meant to have style continuity w/The Clone Wars.

5. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    The packaging reminds me of the ROTS line. I'd consider that good news.

6. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    The Inquisitor, the Empire's Jedi hunter and a major new villain in the highly anticipated Star Wars Rebels animated series, was unveiled by Lucasfilm at this year's New York Comic Con. Today, StarWars.com is excited to present the official reveal for the character's first ever 3.75-inch action figure from Hasbro.

The figure -- the first to be seen from the upcoming Star Wars Rebels Saga Legends line -- features five points of articulation, show-accurate accessories, and is sculpted in the art style of the series. Look for the Inquisitor and the Star Wars Rebels Saga Legends line to hit store shelves in fall 2014, and stay tuned for more Star Wars Rebels toy news from Hasbro at international Toy Fairs and here at StarWars.com.
    StarWars.com. All Star Wars, all the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-rebels-inquisitor-action-figure-reveal.html

Barbecue17 and Juke Skywalker like this.
  7. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    The figure looks awesome, but the lack of any other articulation just makes this guy next to useless for all but MOC collectors. I'd be OK with the leg joints, but no waist? That's less than most POTF figures from 1995. If it weren't for the Black Series, I'd ask the question "does Hasbro just desperately want to run collectors out of the Star Wars line?" Hopefully the kiddies snap these up, though.

8. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Well, design-wise, they certainly ticked off all of the Star Wars animated series bad guy boxes. 1.) Bald [Check], 2.) Chalk white [Check]. 3.) Black outfit [Check]. By those standards my high school geometry teacher was a Star Wars villain.

My Nephew has a few of the new reduced articulation figures, and I have to say they're very kid-friendly. Much sturdier than highly articulated figures which I've had fall apart just trying to pose them. But if this is representative of the Rebels line, with reduced articulation and detailing (the latter actually bugs me more), then I can imagine a lot of collectors will skip this line; Even if it retains the reduced $5.99 price point. It's a shame, too, because for collectors who are fans of the TV series there won't be any middle ground collectibles. It'll either be the $5.99 figures or the high end Sideshow/Gentle Giant stuff.

Barbecue17 and PadmeLeiaJaina like this.
  9. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    [face_laugh]

The constantly having white bald villains is annoying. Hello...it's STAR WARS, they have blue and green people in the verse. Villains don't have to be just pasty white.

I don't mind the lack of articulation so long as they design the figures well.

10. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I know, right? As soon as I saw this guy I thought he was supposed to be Asajj Ventress' brother or something. I mean he looks neat and all, but how about a little variety.

I'm sure at some point they'll start to slip Rebels characters into the 3 3/4" Black Series (or whatever it'll be called by then), and I'd bet we'll eventually see them get the 6" treatment as well.

Barbecue17 likes this.
  11. Barbecue17

Nov 11, 2013
    You know, I think I'd be a little bit more OK with these minimally articulated figures if they were slightly preposed. Not the typical 90's "I can't stand on my own" preposes, but at least with some hint of action like the POTF2 figures. Otherwise, they just look so stiff and awkward when holding lightsabers.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  12. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Absolutely. My biggest gripe with them is they look like rigor mortis has set in. If you slip one of these in between the more articulated figures it ends up looking like a scene out of Weekend at Bernie's.

Barbecue17 likes this.
  13. Barbecue17

Nov 11, 2013
    Little things like slightly bent knees or arms that allude to some action. I'm digging the shoulder pads, though.

I think if I had to give this guy one extra point of articulation, it would be a ball jointed neck. It's amazing how expressive a figure can be made with a ball jointed neck.

14. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    Something about this figure just doesn't sit right with me; maybe it's because it's based off the show animation, but this particular figure seems more like it belongs somewhere between the 80s figures and the 90s resurgence. I mean, look at the 5POA battle packs they did; the Vader/Fett/Bespin Luke looked AMAZING for what they are, and I was hoping this would follow in its footpegs, as it were.

15. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Exactly. I wasn't crazy about the AOTC/Saga figures from around 2002 that were extreme posed, but just a little natural bend here and there so that they don't look like they're standing at attention all the time would be great.

I agree. It seems like they're going for a look here that sits somewhere in between stylized animation and what the character would look like in reality, but the result is it doesn't really capture either very well IMO. And I hate to keep harping on it, but detailing here is much reduced from their Black Series counterparts.

16. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Not too impressed by the look of this Inquisitor figure. Minimal articulation & lack of detail is intentional & understandable (because they're based on the characters' looks in the cartoon), but I don't like the unimaginative appearance - he looks like a D-grade, wannabe version of Darth Maul...

17. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, he's also a bit too Asajj Ventress for my taste. He could be her brother.

18. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Again - why didn't they give the villain different colored skin? Remember Prince Xizor? At least he was green. Variety people - we want variety!

Dagobahsystem and Juke Skywalker like this.
  19. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Any update on release?

20. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    The show is set to debut this Fall, so I'd always assumed late Summer/early Fall, but I haven't seen a firm street date yet. But yesterday Disney announced that they are going to set the series up with a movie that will air this Summer on the Disney channel. That leads me to believe that we'll see wave 1 as soon as early to mid Summer. I'm sure we'll hear for sure at Toy fair in a few weeks.

whostheBossk likes this.
  21. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    The sad thing is, I may actually get some Rebels figures even if I'm not too impressed with their designs, if only because I haven't seen any new figures on the shelves (that I've wanted) in over a year....Even though I feel luke-warm about what I've seen so far re: these figures, they will be better than nothing....

22. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, I've done that my self. Heck, I almost did it yesterday. I was at Target and almost bought the 6" Slave Leia (which sadly is a pretty awful figure IMO. I hope they get Leia right next time around) because I'm having 6" Black Series withdrawl.

I'm guessing that at some point Rebels characters will be included in the Black Series, so if I end up liking the show I'll wait for those... assuming they ever re-stock the Black Series at local retailers.

23. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Unless they've got a young Leia on REBELS, I'm probably not going to be interested in these very much.

Slave Leia isn't THAT bad. I really don't like how she's hunched over and her joints are really pronounced, but I think her detailing is nice otherwise.

24. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    The joints/articulation bothered me at first, but I got over it once I saw it in person. My issue with her is the face; particularly the eyes. She looks totally zonked out. Which I suppose Carrie was at the time, but I don't need that level of accuracy :p.

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  25. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Second official character photo release: Kanan

Looks like he'll bend at his knees.

[​IMG]