main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2014 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by Souderwan, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Happy New Year! Last year’s fitness thread seemed to go reasonably well—it certainly helped me, anyway. So it’s time for Fitness Goals part deux!

For my personal fitness goals this year, I decided to have a few:

1st: Add 10% to my previous goal. I decided to change it into Km as well because…well, metric makes more sense. So rounding up, that makes it 55 km per month or 660 km for the year. This is more of a maintenance goal than anything designed to keep me from returning to my sluggish ways. I hope to do much better than this.

2nd: Eat an average of at least one meal prepared from base ingredients per day per month. This is similar to my mileage goal from last year. My intent is to try and shift my diet over the next year to the point where I routinely eat more healthily as a way of life and that begins with preparing meals rather than having meals prepared for me. Of course, this won’t always be practical, which is why I’ve made it an average.

3rd: Learn at least 12 new patterns (one per month) and use them in a social dance setting. This is just because dancing is great fun and happens to be good exercise as well.

That’s it.

Share your goals and your progress!

ma_petite and Admiral Volshe like this.
  2. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Immediate goal: work off the chips and beer I've been enjoying tonight.

Long term: get a decent fitness regimen in place. I guess this'll mean using the pedometer on my phone a lot more, and getting on the bike more regularly. Also, don't indulge in beer and chips quite as often.

Souderwan likes this.
  3. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    My goals for this year:
    -Run 3 miles every other day
    -Get my pace to 8:59 minutes/mile consistently. I got to 8:33 last year twice, 8:58 twice. Average is 9:20 though.
    -Go to the gym at least 4 days a week (I've been slacking....)
    -Start dancing again / join a new dance class
    -Lose those last 10 pounds and keep them off!

Good luck to everyone with your goals :)

Souderwan likes this.
  4. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I don't think I made any last year, so I might as well this year.

-gradually increase gym time from 2 days a week to 3
    -get back up to running 4 miles
    -maintain current weight without losing any due to running

I think I'm doing this more for general health and as a stress reliever...kind of envious of what most of you are capable of doing with running.

Souderwan likes this.
  5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Cut down my alcohol intake further. Last year I aimed for 3 days every week where I didn't have alcohol, this year I'll try to increase that to 4.

Less sugar, more salad.

Normally I run 3.89 miles/30 minutes 4 to 5 days a week; I'd like to move that up to a regular 4.7 mile/45 minute run on the weekend.

I'd like to be able to do 10 pull-ups by the end of 2014. Ditto at least 15 chin-ups.

Oh, and I'd like to be strong enough to pull the ears off a gundark. Those little bastards have it coming.

Jedi_Matt, Souderwan and Juliet316 like this.
  6. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I'll be back once I'm at my apartment and can look up my numbers, but some goal relating to dropping my body fat, and also increasing my muscle. Also, I intend to reach the point that I've lost 25% of my weight, which should take a month or two more.

Souderwan likes this.
  7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    All have to think a few days before setting specific goals, but I do want to get myself back into better shape than I was in 2013 (which was a lost year fitness wise). Losing a few pounds is definitely one goal, just no specific weight target in mind yet.

Souderwan likes this.
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Eat healthier and learn to cook more.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I lost November and December due to health issues so I backslid some, but here goes for now.

--be in good enough shape to run a 5K at the end of April and a mini marathon at the end of the year.

--get back into swimming for fitness but I don't have specifics at the moment as to how far I want to go. Right now I also want to add one spin class per week if I can work it around my kids' schedules.

--Yoga at least three days a week.

--maintain a women's dress size of 6-8

--limiting fat; since I no longer have a gall bladder, the consequences of fattening food generally aren't worth the immediate price anyway :p

Kiki-Gonn, Juliet316 and Souderwan like this.
  10. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Good look with that, I Are The Internets. For those of you with goals like that, how do you plan to assess your progress? I've found that it's hard to have any success with goals unless they're concrete, measurable, and achievable. But then again, I'm a navy guy so metrics are just a natural thing for me.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say that my first 5k of 2014 is complete. Lost 40 seconds between yesterday and today, but I suppose that's to be expected with no rest.

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    What was your time overall?

12. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    If you're regularly running 20 miles a week or over you need to consider buying yourself a new pair of running shoes twice a year. I say this as someone who wore his last pair for over a year, and I did seem to develop some knee problems at the end.:(

Souderwan likes this.
  13. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I would like to know, I can cook but cooking costs a lot more then TV dinners. But at the same time you can buy many of them on sale for less then 3 dollars sometimes 2 dollars a piece for weight watchers. Do you save more money and lose more weight buying these weight watcher and lean cuisine tv dinners instead of cooking meals with chances of having more calories anyway.

14. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005

32'40"

I once ran a 27-something for an electric run earlier this year, but I'm pretty sure they had shortened the course because the next fastest time I've ever posted was 29:03. Normally, I run in the 32-33 min region.

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Nice! I ran many 5K's in high school for cross country.

Souderwan likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have to have something concrete and measurable as well; that's why I need to research to see what swimming goal would be realistic for my level of fitness.

Souderwan likes this.
  17. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    I ran a 5k mud run. My first one ever without training. This was six months ago. After a straight out mile and half run Doing ok and keeping up the pain in the my lungs was so bad I had to stop. My asthma kicked in and I ended up bent over heaving fluid out of my lungs. It was so bad, I ended up throwing up too. I laid on the ground and threw up four more times. Laid for a minute. Got up and continued to run the rest. I was ok after that. A little sore but ok. I ended at the back. But oh well. I did it. Ended up with a tick on me as well. Had to have it pulled out at the doctor a few hours later. I will do it again but this time a lot more training.

18. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005

Honestly, I have no idea about the impact on weight loss. I happen to love my Healthy Choice meals that I have for lunch, which are fairly cheap, low calorie, and very delicious. Preparing your own meals is generally more expensive than buying pre-packaged stuff but less expensive than going to a restaurant (not fast food, of course). That said, food is your third most important need behind air and water so it seems to me that if you were to prioritize expenses, proper food should be a lot higher on the list than it is for many of us. In any case, produce and meat are the biggest expenses typically (due to transportation costs), and you can cut that dramatically by going to a local farmer's market.

19. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    My goal for 2014 is to keep going past April/may. I've been a lazy sack since the start of summer.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Unfortunately, the cold weather is a serious detractor for running outside.

21. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    It has been so cold lately that I can barely stand to be outside for a few minutes doing any sort of work. Even walking around. My asthma flares up really bad in really cold weather like 10 degrees and below. Even going back and forth from the outside to the warmth eventually gets to me. A busy day at work in this cold weather gets to me by the end of the day. You feel really tired and exhausted as if its a very slow asthma attack that has occurred. No running for me. I would last about a quarter of a mile and I would be done on the ground in pain and heaving fluid from my lungs gasping for air.

22. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    So contrary to everyone else in this thread, I actually need to put on weight in 2014. Doctor says I'm at risk of organ failure if I don't. :(

Unfortunately, I was born with the uncanny ability to not enjoy eating. That's a pretty severe detriment to any organism on planet Earth.

23. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I have the same problem, and aside from that, the four treadmills in my apartment complex gym have been out of order for months.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Damn. :( Good luck, I hope you find something high calorie that you like.

07jonesj likes this.
  25. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I symapathise. I'm very underweight and have always found food a problem.

07jonesj likes this.