main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hasbro 12" Luke Skywalker Figure

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Dec 30, 2013.

1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I thought this line was pretty much dead after Obi-Wan/Darth Vader, but I guess they're going to give it another, go. ROTJ Luke Skywalker is the next in line. You can see a preview HERE.

I have the Anakin & Clone trooper. Other than Anakin's face being shiny I don't think he looks horrible. The clone trooper standing at attention is fine for me - he's used entirely for background display.

I saw the Obi-Wan and Vader, they looked fine. I don't have a 12" Obi-Wan so I might try to pick one of those up until I can get a real ROTS Obi-Wan to take his place. (I can't help it, I like things that look like the characters. They're cheap so it's not like you lose a lot with getting them.)

I actually think the Luke looks pretty good, he looks like Mark Hamil in Jedi.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'll give that a pass. Doesn't do much for me.

3. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Err I could've guessed that :p

4. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    The hair color is really off. Hasbro never can seem to nail Mark Hamill's hair color, can they?

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That and the eyes kinda freak me out. I'd have to give him accessory goggles or something.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  6. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    He looks like someone who would've been seen coming out of Studio 54 with Andy Warhol. I collect almost everything Luke, but I'm gonna have to pass on this one.

7. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    To be bluntly honest, this Luke Skywalker 12" figure looks execrable. The late '90's Luke Jedi from the Hasbro line looked far superior.

I liked the Hasbro 12" SW figures from the late '90's - mid-2000's, but these newer 12" figures are a real step back, and look very much like cheap, foreign knock-offs.

8. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Well there IS a huge price point difference between the 2, you really can't compare the 2 types of figures. If the older versions were being made today they'd probably be retailing for $40-50 each, these are $10. They're meant to be beat up by little kids, buried in the back yard, and drowned in swimming pools. Hasbro has done other fully plastic figures in the past - although they've usually been under 12" which is why people tend to forget about them. These types of toys aren't new for Hasbro to produce. The problem is that there's a massive hole in the collecting market right now. Sideshow is rapidly climbing out of the reach of your modest collectors w/ their massively increasing the price point on their 12" figures which means there's nothing out there for collectors who love 12" figures but can't stomach forking over $150+ a figure (no matter how many bells and whistles that they include to make them cool and spiffy.) Heck I didn't even get the newest Yoda and he was only $99.

I have a rant over on my collecting blog asking where are the playline 12" figures and it gets hits EVERY day. There is a desire for lower priced 12" figures that will attract collector's attention. I personally loved the 12" Hasbro figures. Since Sideshow has kept climbing in price I've found myself hunting down more of the Hasbro figures to fill in holes. I picked up a Ki-Adi-Mundi from Hasbro who I think looks every bit as good as the one Sideshow made. Hasbro also did a wonderful job with sculpting alien characters.

Hasbro overall has a problem though, they don't know what to do or how to make money. For so long they've produced the same things over and over and made profits, but now fans are tired of the same old. They gave their old Kenner license over to Gentle Giant and they're making a killing on their 12" vintage replicas of the original figures. Hasbro just seems at a loss over how to please collectors and to get younger kids interested in their toys. They need the kids in order to see sales growth in the coming years. The truth is little kids beat up on toys - their doing the 5 pt articulation toys isn't a bad idea, but they do need to think of other ways then to appease collectors as well and not shut them out. The 6" line is a good start - it's not catered to kids and the toys are impressive. They now need a new 12" line that's priced gentler than Sideshow, but has a massive quality increase over the first round that they produced back in the 90's...(ie no giant overly buffed bodies and sculpt human faces that LOOK like the characters.) Female characters need rooted hair.

I love my Sideshow figures and I LOVE the ones by Hot Toys - but it's a big investment to plan for spending on those, whereas $40-50 would be a lot easier to make a quick decision on to buy.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  9. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    PadmeLeiaJaina, You make a lot of excellent points. I enjoyed your blog as well. I was a huge collector of the 1996-2005 Hasbro 12" figures/creatures, and have to honestly say that these are probably my overall favorite individual line of SW toys, ever. The selection was incredible - the ones that hit all regular retail stores were great, i.e. Luke Jedi, Snowtrooper, Stormtrooper, Princess Leia (ANH), Sebulba, etc. And, the exclusives they came out with were amazing, i.e. 12" Han Solo Tauntaun, electronic Emperor with Royal Guard, Biker Scout w/Speeder Bike, Electronic Boba Fett, etc. I agree their aliens looked superb, and many of their humans didn't look bad, either - I thought the facial sculpt on the 12" Obi-wan & Han Solo (1996) both looked great, and the AOTC Count Dooku was amazing. I also enjoyed the justifiably more expensive Amidala 12" dolls from TPM; very well-done. IMHO, this is definitely the most underrated (and largely forgotten these days) SW toyline ever.

I see what you mean about the newer 12" Hasbro figures, i.e. that they're meant for kids. That's fine, but I just can't get into their lack of detail.

Re: the current 12" Sideshow figures, I got some of these when the prices were lower & do agree that, overall, they look fantastic; the last figure I got was Momaw Nadon/Hammerhead, and that's probably my all-time favorite individual 12" figure ever. However, in the past several years these have gone up exponentially, and I just can't justify paying these prices anymore. When the figures were $80-$90 they were still expensive, but not that overpriced for what you were getting. And, sure, I didn't paying more for a figure like Hammerhead due to the complex & larger sculpt. But these days an average 12" (1/6) figure is around $150+, which is much too expensive for me.

At least Hasbro didn't really increase the prices of the regular retail figures in the 9 years their line was around; IIRC, regular retail for the non-exclusive figures always ranged between $20 - $25....

10. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I agree 100%. More and more there seem to be only two tiers of Star Wars collectibles, particularly re: 12", and Hasbro would be wise to fill in the gap with a line of moderately priced 12" figures.

My only concern would be; would they get retail support? These take up a lot of room (relatively speaking) and shelf space is always a premium in retail. But hey, every store carried those giant plastic Vaders that took up entire endcaps, so...

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I still see that Vader (and a Superman of the same size) in my local Entertainer. Had it been a Fett (either one) I'd have bought it.

12. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Always glad to find more people who loved the Hasbro line. Most forums you go to they just fully dismiss the line. I don't really understand why people feel they can't enjoy both lines simultaneously. It seems to be you either like the toy lines or the higher collectible versions, god forbid if you enjoy both.

Me? I just love 12" figures, I guess that's why I actually will occasionally pick up one of these newer Hasbro figures. I love my Sideshow and higher end figures also. The past couple of years they've hired new artists and have worked on their painting. The Obi-Wan from TPM is just awesome. The level of detailing on his face(s) and paint put the quality up with Hot Toys. I've always wanted that Momaw Nadon, particularly after getting their Gamorrean Guard who's just awesome. Someday...someday.

I love all of the big super packs Hasbro did also, I've got Luke's Taun Taun, Leia's Speeder bike, Captain Tarlpas and his critter, and the Patrol Dewback. I really would've loved a ROTS Obi-Wan on a Boga, the AOTC gang w/ their critters, or a Tuskin Raider on a Bantha. I like that the larger items are nicely detailed (the Patrol Dewback is just stunning) and yet they're still TOYS. Sideshow makes the beasts for their 12" figures but they're static statues AND they weigh a ton because they're sculpted into Polystone. I do desperately want their Jabba, grrrrr....

I think if Hasbro relauched these today they'd probably be in the $30-40 dollar range, depending on the character. I think their issue is that they got so beat up by the higher end collectors for the play quality of their 12" figures that they really don't want to try to do the line again. They need to know that there's a potential for customers before they would relaunch the series. Right now, I don't think they know that people are interested.

Retailers want money. $30-40 is still in the same ballpark as the Jakks 31" figures and they take up far less room than those. So long as Hasbro only doled them out a couple characters at a time I think they might go for it. I didn't manage to pick them up but the 12" KOTCS Indy figures that all came out looked great which leads me to believe that they could do well w/ relaunching new SW figures.

A lot of it has to do w/ Collector's demand. Sideshow etc should get behind Hasbro making 12" figures - they want new collectors to get their stuff, they'll never get it if younger kids can't fall in love w/ their own 12" toy line versions and then want more detailed ones as they get older. If you want toy lines to endure, you have to bring in the younglings, let them grow up, then collect higher-end stuff, and then share their fav toys w/ their kids to keep the cycle going. This is why Barbie has endured for so long and continues to do so. Kids get playdolls - they grow up, buy the collectible versions, buy toys for their kids, kids see the cool collectible versions, they collect later, etc, etc.

A lot of kids got the Vaders for Xmas, I'm pretty sure they want to do the iconic types of characters first. I'd love a 31" C-3PO :) But I believe Darth Maul is the next one.

13. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    This is going to turn into a "Love for 12" Hasbro" thread (at least with my posts), so I apologize in advance for this :D

Yes, I was definitely a big fan of the Hasbro 12" line back in the day. I actually remember driving all over the place trying to find these toys, especially the 12" exclusives in 1997 & 1998 (those were the two toughest years for these exclusives, IMHO). The Luke Hoth w/Wampa (Target) & the six 12" Cantina band members (Wal-mart) were 2 of the most HTF sets. However, the all-time most HTF exclusive for me was the Speeder-Bike w/Biker Scout (Target) - I never even saw this once, unfortunately. I'm sure if Sideshow ever comes out with this it will probably be $650 - $700+...

I also enjoyed the Captain Tarpals w/Kaadu (Target), and regret not getting the Dewback w/Sandtrooper (TRU) when I saw this at stores, especially after it went on clearance.

Also, just because Sideshow comes out with higher-end toys doesn't necessarily make these toys better in all cases; the ANH Princess Leia that Hasbro came out with (1997) actually had rooted hair, as did the Leia Boussh (1998), and the Leia Hoth Outfit (1998). As far as I can tell, the Sideshow versions don't have this. Along the same lines, the Sideshow 1/6 4-LOM ($199+) and their 1/6 R5-D4 ($159) are extremely overpriced for what you're getting. Sure, they probably look a little better than their Hasbro counterparts, but I'll take the Hasbro versions any day, especially since each was only about $20 - $25 retail..(probably less than that for the R5-D4). And, sure, the Sideshow Bossk looks incredible - but, the Hasbro version looks great as well....

That being said, the Sideshow Jabba is extraordinary (I don't have the throne set, just the figure itself), and I can't see Hasbro having ever coming out with something this good. I also think the Sideshow Hammerhead is amazing, and the sculpting was probably too advanced for Hasbro as well...

However, I've kind of given up on Sideshow figures these days, due to their extreme & increasing expense....

Re: Hasbro coming out with a line of more colllectible 12" figures, I would definitely like to see this - I'm guessing they still have the license since they're coming out with the $10 line. I don't think they want to compete with Sideshow, but I could be wrong about this...

14. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Hasbro did for the most part make an effort with the girls. The only one that they got really lazy with was the AOTC Padme. The '97 Leia I always feel is rather dumpy looking, but the fabric on her dress is nicer than the cheap fabric Sideshow used for their ANH Leia. When it comes to the 12" ANH Leias, I still rank the Kenner version as my favorite. I have a love/hate feeling for the Hoth Leia. Again they put her on a butchy body and her expression is really blah, but her hair and costume are great. They did 3 different versions of Boussh Leia. The best one was the TRU giftset w/ the light-up Han in Carbonite. That Leia was on a slender body and they used the portrait edition Leia face mold. She's very pretty.

I don't get the 4-LOM and R5-D4's with their prices either. I believe they're Medicom sold through Sideshow. I haven't seen them in person so I can't tell you the difference. Likely 4-LOM just isn't as bulky as the Hasbro version and is painted more accurately. R5-D4 I can see the quality differences but really, I'll pass and would rather get a Hasbro version for a fraction of the cost.

I have a surprising lack of cantina band members in my collection. I think about the only ones I have were the mail-away 3 3/4" figures. Don't ask me why but I would love to get some of those Hasbro versions some day.

I actually love all of the companies that make 12" figures for one thing or another.

Kenner - I just love the entire series of the original 12" figures - they're the reason I fell so hard for the Hasbro collection. I nearly died w/ happiness when they produced a Lando Calrissian figure since it was never produced by Kenner. (I still long for a General Calrissian 12" figure.)

Hasbro - I love the vast variety of figures that they produced over the years and the amazing gift sets that they produced. And I love the Portrait series of ladies.

Sideshow - I've got a lot of favorite characters that they've produced. Their Boussh Leia doesn't have rooted hair but she's probably the most amazing and beautiful Leia produced to date (even though her accessories are brittle and fall apart easily :( ) I also desperately love my Kit Fisto, Tusken Raider, Ralph McQuarrie Xmas Yoda, and Gamorrean Guard. My Qui-Gon and Padawan Kenobi are amazing as well.

Medicom - a few summers ago I went on a quest to find Medicom figures cheap on ebay after scoring probably the greatest bargain of all time. It began by accident because I won a lot for like $25 that had a ROTS Darth Vader GG mini-bust and a MIB Luke Skywalker 1/6 Jedi figure from Medicom. He was my first Medicom figure. I really adore him, I love that he's slight of build, poses well, and has a great look to him. I then hunted down ROTS Anakin, Jawa, and Wicket for bargains. I just love all of these figures, I think the Anakin is my favorite of the 12" versions that I have which includes 2 from Sideshow.

Hot Toys - I have the Bespin Luke giftset. This really should be considered the holy grail of 12" figures, they're just amazing. I keep waiting and waiting for them to get their next figure ready to go (it's supposed to be Han, I believe or Anakin.) Hot Toys has been producing other female figures w/ rooted hair, so it's my desperate hope that one day they'll make a Leia or Padme with actual rooted hair who will both look amazing. They would be the one company that I would trust to make a gorgeous and amazing Slave Leia. Of course I'm not holding my breath for a Padme which is unfortunate. Everyone points to that ugly Sideshow snow bunny Padme as the reason her figures don't sell. That figure didn't sell because she was scary and UGLY, NOT because she's Padme. Grrrrr....

Only company I don't have any 12" figures from is Enterbay - they're way overpriced.

I do a lot of customizing of 12" figures because there are characters that sadly I know will never be made in 12" form thanks to demand always being there for Imperials and bounty hunters.

The other awesome figures out there are the few Ultimate Quarter Scale 1/4 figures by Diamond Select. I love these figures and was heartbroken to learn that they killed the line before they produced ANH Luke and Darth Vader. Even now they're a fraction of the cost of the Sideshow Premium format figures and I think they're every bit as nice. If Hasbro was unwilling to tackle this line again, I actually would really love it if Diamond Select could produce 12" figures, their sculptors are really amazing over there and their costumes have great detail to them.

The thing is so long as they continue to produce a newer line that are specifically toy quality, I don't know why the other companies would see them as competition. In reality they should be happy to see Hasbro selling less expensive figures. The only way Sideshow and the other 12"/ 1/6 scale manufacturers are going to stay in business is if kids can get interested in the lines from an early age. I obsess over them because I had the Kenner Han, Leia, and Luke as a kid and always wanted more characters to go with them. You've got to hook the kids now so when they get in the workforce and can afford to collect they'll look for the higher end collectibles - or at least collect whatever 12" lines are available at the time.

I guess we'll have to wait and see - I have a sneaking suspicion we might see the rebirth of the 12" figures when Ep VII comes out. But I think if that'll happen, we probably need to start making noise now that we'd like to see it happen.

15. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Hasbro has the Luke on display at Comic con - they also have 3 Rebels 12" figures coming. I think so far the Luke looks great! Vader could use being taller.

[​IMG]

Rebels

[​IMG]

Pics by Galactichunter

16. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    "Aren't you a little short for a Dark Lord of the Sith?"

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  17. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Hee hee! I have the Vader, it's kind of weird that he's not very tall.