main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is the Emperor really dead?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    My personal is that Palpatine was an integral character in the first six movies. I align myself to GL in that these movies can be seen as the tragedy of Anakin Skywalker. Anakin's fall and redemption story was complete in the Emperor's death. I think Palpatine was a great baddie, but I also think one of the main attractions of Star Wars for me is that it's such an expansive universe, and it has such an amazing ability to trigger my imagination with all it's different worlds, species of alien, characters both shown, or mentioned. Why keep going back over the same ground, run the risk of jumping the shark, just to appease a few fanboys?

Julius Vernon and kubricklynch like this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Tell that to the "not Star Wars wihout Sith" crowd.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Sith is just a name for the lightsaber wielding bad guys in the films. No the name wasn't said until the PT but there was still a lightsaber wielding bad guy in the OT and there will be lightsaber wielding bad guys in the ST. Because Star Wars isn't Star Wars without lightsaber wielding bad guys. ;)

4. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Wouldn't dare mess with that mob. I add I'm not anti Sith in Ep7, on other threads I've mentioned Exar Kun and Freedon Nadd. I would love to see some ancient Sith feature in some way. I just think Palpatine has served his purpose for now.

Odolwa and Immortiss like this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Star Tours already gave us that. Its background was later expanded:

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/2013/12/17/the-imperial-warlords-despoilers-of-an-empire-part-2/

Devian’s initial forays into warlordism were audacious if discrete. One of his coups of apparatus procurement were two incomplete types of habitation sphere known as worldcrafts being built in Coruscant’s orbit. One of these hyperspace-capable artificial planetoids, in fact, had been intended as a gift for Devian from Palpatine himself, in recognition of his merciless service. (The other, to Devian’s delight, had been intended for Kaine.) The cost of completing them, however, would’ve proven exorbitant. So Devian rerouted them to opposite ends of the galaxy: one to the Moddell sector and the other to the Spawn Nebula.

Given the unfinished worldcrafts’ similarity in appearance to Death Stars, he mocked one of these up to bamboozle Rebel forces with a sophisticated feint at their temporary Alliance of Free Planets capital on Endor. Though the pseudo-battle station was destroyed (with the help of a Star Tours spaceliner, no less), the diversion allowed Dissension forces to stealthily hijack countless warships from neighboring Alliance shipyards.
    [​IMG]

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I thinking of ways they could visually differentiate a Jedi Force ghost from a Sith Force ghost if Palpatine does in fact return. So I thought it could be interesting if a Sith retains all the injuries that caused his/her death when taking ghostly form. Palpatine in this case could be a charred and electrified corpse ghost. That would be wonderfully creepy and an easily identifiable difference between the two.

Dra--- and darklordoftech like this.
  7. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    No, not the face.

8. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012

9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    You know what's funny? Just now I've read a discussion about alternate dark side sects at one of the other places I visit. No Plagueis talk whatsoever. What the majority wants or not is not easy to tell.

10. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    The majority in the last poll on this forum wanted some kind of Sith.

niel6658, Immortiss and Odolwa like this.
  11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    TFN does not equal the world and my point wasn't about majorities.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  12. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    This forum hardly matters.

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Well, I suppose your opinions don't matter either then.

Immortiss and Odolwa like this.
  14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    They don't. All this discussion is just filling the time until the movies arrive. Besides, speculating and theorizing is good fun.

15. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Polls are fun too. ;)

16. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Some sort of shadow form, Their Eyes still hold the Orange/Red sith color, But they change slightly like a small flame very slowly burning,Lost limbs are like a black fog. Tiny traces of red electricity coursing around them to signify the rage and revenge that they have become...I dont know

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    :mad: :p

18. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I think this argument has devolved from the possibility of the Emperor being alive to the popularity of such a move. I personally could see something like this happening, but I think it would put Star Wars on a par with comic book franchises, where no one truly dies. I personally think the Emperor staying dead is healthy for the franchise.

If you "bring someone back from death" it could be a character like Plagueis who wasn't actually seen dying on film and it wouldn't amount to jumping the shark.

But again, you could just create some new really amazing characters, Sith or not, and have them herald in a whole new generation.

19. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Are you kidding?? I imagine JJ is here daily checking what we want. Why do you think they had to can Arndt and rework the screenplay?

Immortiss and Darth_Pevra like this.
  20. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Precisely. I think it logical that Lucas, who wrapped up the series nice and neat in ROTJ, realized a need and found an opportunity during the making of the PT, to create an alternative Palpatine, who was originally planned for an appearance in Episode IX, decided to create a replacement Sith, giving him Dark Side powers yet unseen in the series. From the perspective of the existing mythology a Plagueis reveal seems to be completely organic and appropriate. Furthermore, since the EU dealt with a returned Palpatine in its version of the events after ROTJ, and Lucas always delineating between the films and the books, it lends support for a completely new character appearing, one created by Lucas, introduced in ROTS and tied into the saga in what might be an extremely profound manner.

21. niel6658

niel6658 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2013
    Darth Plagueis could have been the real power behind the scenes all along. Even Palpatine could be a simple pawn in the true Sith Masters plan to have the "Chosen One" (Anakin Skywalker) killed of. Darth Plaguis' physical body could have been hidden in a wault on Muunilinst frozen in carbonite, waiting for one of his loyal minions to thaw him up once the "Chosen One" was death.

Dra--- and Immortiss like this.
  22. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    My friend StoneRiver has brought up this idea as one of those areas in the saga that have yet to be flushed out: The political and economic (bigger) story occurring during the events of the Rebellion, Han and Leia's trials and Luke Skywalker's training (the OT). The key question: Who funded the Rebellion? It's tantalizing to think that Plagueis was interested, as The Hellhammer: suggests, in creating as much chaos, not so much supporting the Rebellion, but supporting it enough to keep the GFFA in perpetual chaos and using this to his advantage.

Other areas that perhaps beg exposition: The Skywalker Family as it relates to Anakin through his mother, Shmi. Also, the Netherworld of the Force. Each of these might lead us back to our 'Dead" Sith.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm pretty sure if JJ was reading this thread he would be sobbing as he's downing his third bottle of scotch.

Pro Scoundrel and Darth_Pevra like this.
  24. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Why would anyone be sobbing while drinking scotch?

Your post is an EPIC FAIL.

Trebor Sabreon and StoneRiver like this.
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Okay how bout bourbon?

Darth_Pevra and Dra--- like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.