main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Starkiller in Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by InterestingLurker, May 31, 2013.

?

Do you want Starkiller to appear in Star Wars: Rebels?

1. Yes

69 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No

115 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. DatPadawan

DatPadawan Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 17, 2013
    If he does appear I hope they tone down his powers a bit, no pulling Star Destroyers out of the sky for example, but then people would say it sucked because they changed him.

2. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
  3. Master Kinard

Master Kinard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 30, 2013
    I would love it if some of the final arcs of the series cover the entirety of TFU and TFU2. I think they both help set up the Rebel Alliance pretty well.

Darkslayer and TheMDOSS1313 like this.
  4. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I don't like Starkiller because:
    How is he so powerful? He can take on the Emperor and Vader by himself?
    His father was just a normal Jedi, wasn't he?
    He annoys me, just a stereotypical character
    He just felt like a fan service to me.

5. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

That is odd. Wasn't TFU promoted as "Lucas's take on the merger that produced the Rebel Alliance"?

Darkslayer and Revanfan1 like this.
  7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

He's a video game character, chill.

Darkslayer and Revanfan1 like this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That's so 2008. It's now 2014.

windu4 and Revanfan1 like this.
  9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    That, and Lucas doesn't have a part in Rebels. He's retired. Except for the movies, a lot of "Lucas' vision" may be subject to change anymore.

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Lucas sold SW to Disney so Lucas retired from the movies too :p

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    If Lucas doesn't have a part in Rebels (the way he did in TCW) then wouldn't that make Rebels C-Canon rather than T-Canon? And therefore, no more, or less, canon than TFU?

Also- I haven't seen "the Season 5 Clone Wars stuff" - how does it show the Rebel Alliance forming? And would it have to contradict TFU to be true? I could see "early rebel groups" being covered there, but them undergoing mergers in the TFU period.

Darkslayer likes this.
  12. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Which is a bit odd- I thought a requirement of T-canon was "Lucas-involvement", not "Is on TV but not one of the 6 main movies". The Ewoks movies are C-canon, not T-canon. So are the Ewoks and Droids cartoon series, and the old Clone Wars cartoon series.

I'm also not to keen on Pablo Hidalgo saying TFU "isn't canon" in that sense- C-canon still exists, after all.

14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I don't think Lucas gets to choose what's C- or T-canon anymore since he's retired. That's the job of the higher-ups at Lucasfilm and they decided on C-canon.

Season 5 doesn't show the Rebel Alliance forming per se, it just shows a resistance movement on Onderon, formed by a spunky teenage boy, his girlfriend with the fuzzy hair, and her brother. And they're trained by Jedi. And apparently they decided this group would become the Rebel Alliance when none of us were looking, because before that post by Pablo everyone just assumed that they settled down after they won the battle against the Separatists. [face_dunno]

15. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013

When Lucas started TCW, the dilemma was that they didn't want to adhere to what the micro-series did so they created the T-canon level and dropped everything else down to C. T doesn't need Lucas' involvement, it just needs to be Television from 2008 onward. It was more of a time-based retcon than a Lucas based retcon.

Considering that Lucas is now out, I agree with what others have said that Disney will do everything they can to keep continuity within what they create now and "G-canon." Which essentially means - since rebels will be theirs and is said to be T-canon with TCW - that the films "G-canon" status will merge with the current "T-canon" and everything from here on out will coincide with that merged GT canon. Basically, IMO Disney is going to say, "G and T canon and everything else we create is True canon. Anything other than that (C-canon pre-disney takeover - EU) can all be disregarded."

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    A worrying thought. Some EU is still G-canon in a certain sense (stuff from novelizations of movies) but it's hard to sort out what in a novelization is G-canon and what isn't.

The name "Darth Bane" for the founder of the Rule of Two would be a good example of "G-canon EU" - since according to the writer of the TPM novel- Bane and his basic background came from Lucas.

Darkslayer likes this.
  17. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013

This is why I think Disney is going to go with a "time based retcon" of everything, basically saying "forget these canon levels and what makes something one thing or not. If its in the 'saga films' or if it was created under Disney (including TCW since it was still technically going when Disney took over), it's canon. Everything else, please disregard." It saddens me but I think from a company standpoint, it makes the most sense to them. If you want to sell as much SW stuff as possible to as wide of an audience as possible, you have to make it all mesh together. Otherwise the wider audience that doesn't understand the Holocron continuity database, won't bite on anything other than the films.

EDIT: the exception to this being the "The Star Wars" lit line which I view as simply a "behind the scenes fan fiction service."

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Would it include all novels and background books published after the Disney takeover?

19. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    No, because those were planned by the Licensing department, before they found out about the sale, and the ST. also they were obligated to publish them, due to already signing contracts with authors, and agents. Frpm Intervioews with Troy Denning, Crucible was supposed to have an epilogue leading directly into Sword of the Jedi.
    Mercy Kill was originally listed on Amazon, as book one of a series of new Wraith Squadron books. Books, and comics that are coming out now, are strictly pre ROTJ, and Legacy will last until its contract runs out.

20. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013

I think so...I mean I'm not saying "THIS IS WHAT IT WILL BE. PERIOD." I just thing that based on their recent history and from a marketing standpoint, it makes the most sense and doesn't box their writers, directors, etc. in. It allows them to be creative and come up with their own ideas - not being tied down to a very elaborate mythology that only a small percent of their target audience knows about. They could try to come up with original stuff and just tip-toe around current EU canon to appease fans but it wouldn't be as free or easy as just throwing it all to the curb.

Especially if you consider how much more they would want to do apart from 7, 8 and 9. You might say "well they audience doesn't need to understand this, this and this from the EU to understand a new story. But the more and more stories the make, the harder it will be to passively accept EU canon in and not require the audience to know about things (like Mara Jade, Ben, etc.).

21. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013

I think they'll still allow those things to be considered canon because most of what has been published since disney's takeover is pre-ROTJ. I actually think that the "possible cancelation" of the 'New Essential Characters' Book could be because it was one of the few lit releases that would have addressed post-ROTJ subjects and they don't want to confuse people if everything post-ROTJ is going to be different from here on out...

EDIT: Just curious, has there been anything released since the takeover that deals with post-ROTJ subjects???

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Makes sense. Still, seems a bit sad that all the ongoing comics (Dark Times, Darth Vader & the Cry of Shadows, Dawn of the Jedi: The Force War, Legacy,) and so on will be relegated to an "alternate, non-canon Star Wars universe" before they've even been finished.
    The ongoing Legacy series of comics seems to be the main exception.

23. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Technically you can still probably consider all pre ROTJ EU works to be canon for now because chances are very slim Disney will be coming in and retconning them anytime in the near future.

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Starkiller's defeats of Vader and Palpatine as well as the role of all three in founding the Rebellion are things that should be decanonized.

25. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Did Disney do much in the way of retconning of established stuff in the Marvel Universe?

Or does a contradiction in the MU even count as a retcon? I don't think they run on the same kinda canon system. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Marvel has multiple independent alt timelines running. They're all the Marvel Universe, but one is "the Marvel universe in which A happened" while another is "the Marvel universe in which B happened". Many of the broad, broad strokes in each iteration may be much the same, but the details are incompatible.

Of course, Star Wars has already toyed with that a bit with the Infinities comics. A bunch of road-not-taken stories.

I'm just winding up confused. The whole canon thing in SW right now looks kinda messy and ramshackle. The Story Group is supposed to be streamlining the whole thing, which basically means anything that can be slotted, pushed, prodded or perhaps shoehorned into the coherent continuity without being distorted too much or affecting other stuff too badly probably stays... but anything that is too incompatible (both with existing stuff and with what they have in mind to produce going forward) gets discarded. And in the mean time everything remains as muddy as ever. Maybe even more so than normal, as rampant speculation and caustic rumors fly about while the story group works on the thing but without releasing much info as they go.

In the end, it's probably impossible to have any kinda win-win situation. No matter what way they end up doing it, no matter what stays canon and what goes, no matter what kinda "canon system", if any, comes out of it... some bunch of people are going to be furious, accuse them of ruining Star Wars etc.

Darkslayer likes this.