main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Starkiller in Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by InterestingLurker, May 31, 2013.

?

Do you want Starkiller to appear in Star Wars: Rebels?

1. Yes

69 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No

115 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I love that Marvel has multiple universes. Multiple universes would do Star Wars a lot of good.

2. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013

I agree completely....it would solve a lot of these canon debates. Instead we could just be arguing over which universe that happened in rather than which fiction is more real.

Who knows, with J.J. Abrams leading their first big feature and the way he likes to play with time travel and parallel universes, we might actually see this happen...

3. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I can think of at least a few people who would RAEG if Abrams introduced some sort of "old Spock goes back in time, changes everything and creates an alternate universe" type setup in Star Wars.

SkywalkerSquadron likes this.
  4. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    Same here... I think many more than a few people would rage. I would be among them.

5. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013

I don't know...i agree some people would be upset (but thats going to happen no matter what) I think that one of the things that is so attractive about JJ is that he makes very cerebral stories and I think more people are attracted to that trait of his storytelling than anything else...so i could see it happening and i could see the vast majority of the audience thinking it was "brilliant."

6. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I agree that many people are going to be upset no matter what, but I don't think alternate universes fit Star Wars. I know there was a character from an alternate dimension in the book Crystal Star, but that book is widely disliked. I have heard many people say alternate universes are better suited for Star Trek than Star Wars. And I'm not sure how 'brilliant' that concept would be considering he used it in Star Trek too. It almost seems lame trying it again. Star Wars has always been about being one huge universe.

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I meant multiple universes as in the DC comics universe, the Burton Batman universe, the Dark Knight universe, etc., not as in Star Trek pre-Abrams and Star Trek post-Abrams.

8. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Starkiller is just bland and boring to me. I would have liked it better if Vader had no "secret apprentice" (Ahsoka was bad enough).
    If Star Wars gets multiple universes than I'm just going to stay in the one that has the least amount of gimmicky characters like Starkiller.

9. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    I think you can pretty much eliminate the possibility of time travel or parallel universes in the onscreen world of Star Wars.

Now rather or not they decide to split what you see onscreen with what you read in books could be possible but it looks like everything you see onscreen will be one universe.

Trebor Sabreon and newdawn12 like this.
  10. Blip

Blip Jedi Master star 1

Feb 5, 2004
    I think you and I have very different understandings of the word "cerebral"... ;) It's certainly not a term I'd ever use to describe JJ's stories, after having seen both his Trek films (don't get me wrong, I mostly enjoyed them - they're popcorn flicks that heark back to some of the more fun and adventure-focused episodes of ST:TOS - but A Space Odyssey they are most definitely not!)

11. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    If "do Star Wars a lot of good" is missing "so we can all sit back and watch the galaxy burn", at the end.... then, I agree.;)

:p

12. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013

well, i guess they're the popcorn flick version of cerebral. All a film has to do to be cerebral is require the audience to have to think about it.
    I think if you were to say to most audiences, "spock went back in time through that singularity and created a whole new timeline of events but is still within this world because you can't cross back over and although he went in seconds before Niro, because of the way that time warps itself as one gets closer to a singularity, Niro took much longer to cross into the new timeline." - If you were to say that to the average audience and expect them to not have to think about it in order to understand it - it goes the same with lost and all of the time travel and flashsideways...Something does not have to be ridiculously confusing and trippy to the point where people to this day still have no idea what was going on (A Space Odyssey's ending) to be considered cerebral - all it has to do is set up a situation out of the ordinary that requires you to think in order to understand what is going on onscreen...

13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    The point of Star Trek 2009 was a lost kid who resented his father and was fearful of his legacy learning that he has worth and shouldn't be frightened of doing what he wants to do.
    Spock on the other hand learns that he does have feelings and that it is useless to deny this.

Into Darkness is about morality and responsibility of ones actions, but I'm not going into it right now.

Darkslayer likes this.
  14. Darth Wookiee

Darth Wookiee Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    I wouldn't mind him with his powers dialed down......but TFU 2

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Darkslayer, SithStarSlayer and Odolwa like this.
  15. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I dont think anything is going to be done with this. I think that Starkiller, TFU 1 and 2 and haden Blackman are done for that matter. Episode 7, Rebels, spin offs, Marvel comic books, Battlefront video game and clone wars bonus content is what is in vogue. TFU along with Detours is history for a long time if ever.

16. Blip

Blip Jedi Master star 1

Feb 5, 2004
    Not really. Cerebral actually induces serious thought post-movie (and not simply the "wait a second, I don't get how such and such did that thingymabob" kind), whereas ST2009 had enough exposition within the movie itself that the "average moviegoer" could simply sit back, relax, and enjoy it for what it really is - and that's definitely a popcorn flick.

The trippy space-fx scene isn't what illustrates 2001 as cerebral, it's everything that leads up to it and follows afterwards that does so. It raises questions about HAL's sentience for example, what was the and purpose of the monolith, while illustrating plausible concepts of near-future space travel, etc. ST2009 doesn't really do much beyond making Trek fans exclaim "but that doesn't look like a Romulan ship!" and "this red matter nonsense is tosh!" :p

17. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    2001 Makes much more sense when you've read the book first.

Otherwise, the process of Bowman's sublimation, as Iain Banks would have called it (or oneing with the Force to give it it's most blunt SW equivelent) just comes across as a bizarro acid trip.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The timeline in Star Wars Factfile (which came out this week) runs from Darth Bane to RotJ. Interestingly, it includes Starkiller's activities in TFU.

I could see it "surviving the canon purge" if there is one- even if it doesn't get referenced again.

Darkslayer and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  19. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Dare I even ask, which version of Starkiller?:p

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It just says "Starkiller" - whoever it was convinced Mon Mothma, Garm Bel Iblis, and Bail Organa to merge Rebel groups.

21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Well, I had to ask... since there's so many of them to choose from.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    My take on Starkiller and him being "too strong" is just for the video games sake. If they made a game where he just swings a saber, and kills 2 stormtroopers through out the game, there isn't much to it. I also read the Force Unleash books, and it's really toned down vs what you get in the game. It's kinda the same thing with the Genndy version of Clone Wars, Mace Windu and other characters were ridiculously strong compared to the films. Even TCW characters are over powered compared to the films.

I think the Starkiller story could fit into Rebels. They just need to tone him down to match the rest of the characters.

23. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    So... no ISD-grabbing?

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The ISD was already flying at him- so he didn't pull it down from orbit at least.

Can't recall if it has him simply redirecting the thrusters, rather than grabbing the whole ship, or not.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    He just helped it along. ;)

Iron_lord likes this.