main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi Hi & Happy New Year

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by It Is Your Destiny, Jan 1, 2014.

1. It Is Your Destiny

It Is Your Destiny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2014
    Obi-Wan Kenewbie here. :)

I just wanted to say hi during my first day.

Now to figure out what to do next.

2. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Nice day you chose! :D

Welcome It Is Your Destiny! :)

...and an interesting name. Why didn't you take Obi-Wan Kenewbie?

Enjoy your stay! :)

3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Welcome It Is Your Destiny! I guess what you should do next is check out the various forums. There are forums to discuss films, books, art, fanfiction, fan films, costuming, SW television, roll playing and just about anything else you can think of.

4. It Is Your Destiny

Jan 1, 2014
    Hi Skiara. :) I suppose it was a good day to start. Thank you for your kind welcome.

As for my name choice, I simply adore that particular quote. I didn't take Obi-Wan Kenewbie because I figured that I won't always be a newbie. Eventually, the name would make no sense. :D Also, I actually had an account ages ago, when I was just a youngling. That was around '02, but I hardly posted. Then, I stayed away for about five years, so I forgot my screen name (it was some made-up alien name), password, and e-mail address. [face_blush] I started frequenting the boards again in about '07, so I understand some of the basics. I guess that I'm truly a newbie when it comes to the new format (Yes, I followed the move). Anyway, I wanted a fresh start with a name I like, so it all works out. :)

I already have a technical issue. [face_blush] I tried this post first with Internet Explorer, but the "Reply" and "Tag" functions wouldn't work. Switching to Firefox solved the problem. Is this a known issue and should I not attempt to use Explorer anymore? Thanks again.

Thank you Jedi_Lover. :) I will do just that. I always liked the diversity of the forums. I'll probably check out art since I like to draw. I used to be a bit shy, so I hardly posted. However, I made a resolution not to avoid posting this time around. I guess I should check out some social threads.

5. Master Agoraphobia

Master Agoraphobia Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    Hello, friend. :)

6. It Is Your Destiny

Jan 1, 2014
    Hi, Master Agoraphobia. :) Thank you for the friendly post.

Master Agoraphobia likes this.
  7. Master Agoraphobia

Master Agoraphobia Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    If you're interested in reading the Star Wars novels, I highly recommend the Literature section on these forums. I spend a lot of time reading all the good information provided by the regulars in there. They helped pave the way for me, as far as what I should be reading, and still do. :cool:

It Is Your Destiny likes this.
  8. It Is Your Destiny

Jan 1, 2014
    You know, I have almost all of the novels (I'm an obsessive collector), but I've only read about half of them. It never dawned on me to delve into the Literature section of the forums. I frequent the boards a lot, but haven't spent much time in the Lit section. Thank you for the suggestion. It's about time I got some good advice on what to read next. :)

By the way, cool avatar. :cool:

Master Agoraphobia likes this.
  9. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Welcome to the boards Destiny

any questions please feel free to ask :)

10. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I have read most of the books. People have varying tastes, but many readers (not all, but most) don't favor Children of the Jedi, Crystal Star and, of course, The Splinter of the Mind's Eye is just downright creepy now that we know Luke and Leia are siblings. :p Some people love Dark Empire (Dark Horse comic series) and others despise it. I would highly recommend any book written by Timothy Zahn.

People have mixed feelings about the New Jedi Order series of books. Many did not like the violence and deaths, others thought it made the Star Wars Universe more realistic. All I know is a lot of loyal readers stopped reading the EU after that series of books. The Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi novels also had large, somewhat dark, story arcs.

If you want more uplifting books I would recommend some of the stand-alone novels such as Kenobi, X-Wing Mercy Kill or Razor's Edge. I also enjoyed the Coruscant Nights Trilogy and The Last Jedi. Karen Traviss' Clone War novels are also good, in my opinion.

What type of art do you do? I mainly do digital art with Photoshop CS5 or Painter 12. I also do craft work such as mosaics. I used to post on the Fanart forum here, but it started to get slow. Most people went over to DeviantArt to post their art. Some artists have now started posting their art on Pinterest or other similar sites. They have a tendency to go where the most online traffic is. The Fanart Forum does do challenges which I have found fun to do because it gets you to draw characters or scenes you may have never attempted.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. :D

11. It Is Your Destiny

Jan 1, 2014
    Hi Falcon. :) Thank you for the kind greeting. If I have anymore questions (I gather that I'll have a bunch), then I'll be sure to ask.

Jedi_Lover

Hello again. :) I read Children of the Jedi and The Crystal Star. Neither of them make my "must read" list, and I found the latter quite bizarre. Nevertheless, by no means am I a basher. It's a practice of mine to focus on the positives of each book. I know Darksaber wasn't favored by many readers as well, but I actually enjoyed that one. :D As for Splinter, I've only read bits and pieces. I'll have to finish it sometime.

I'm a huge fan of the Dark Empire trilogy. I had no issues with Luke's dark journey and the reappearance of Palpy. And yes, Zahn is always a good read. I always thought the Thrawn trilogy was well done.

Yeah, I'm torn about reading the NJO series. The extragalactic threat never appealed to me, but I'll get some opinions and make a decision. Hopefully, I can raise my interest in LotF & FotJ as well.

I started Kenobi, which I've liked so far. I'll admit to a guilty pleasure. I used to be hooked on the young reader novels (ages ago), the Young Jedi Knights series & the Jedi Apprentice books. [face_blush] I found them very interesting. Anyway, thanks for all of the info and recommendations.

To answer your question, I draw mostly with pencil, sketching a lot of comic book style art. I'm a complete beginner, so I've been scanning my artwork into the computer and looking for appropriate programs for comic book creation. Believe it or not, Word is handy when it comes to that.

I recently received a drawing tablet, which is absolutely cool, but I'm finding it difficult to draw with it. I guess I just have to get used to the technology. Right now, I draw so much better by hand. And yes, DeviantArt seems to be the site of choice these days. Perhaps I'll get brave enough to seek out an account someday. In the meantime, I'll check out the art forum here. Although it gets minimal traffic, it might be a good place to start.

Thank you again. I appreciate it. :) And if I have a question, I won't hesitate to ask.

12. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Ah, I see why you didn't took that other username. Just in case, if you like to have a second username, it's allowed here. So feel free to create another one, if you want. :)

From the experience you have already, I would say that you have some knowledge about the forum. For sure, not that much as a regular poster, but more than a really new member who just discovered the boards.

Btw. it's pretty cool to see you being active. It would be even cooler if you keep that up - without disappearing like in '02. ;) :)

I remember that I had problems with IE as well years or months ago and that was one reason why I switched to Firefox, but I'm not sure if it was the forum not working well or any other thing. Usually, the forum and posting and every function should work with IE as well. I don't know what might be wrong, but LAJ_FETT has a higher affinity to technology and she's the tech admin, so she might have an idea. :)

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    There is a known issue with IE version 11 - we have a thread on it here in Comms. It probably won't be fixed until we upgrade the board software so the recommendation has been to use Firefox or Chrome. However the newer versions of Firefox have a similar issue with the edit function - there's a thread on that (with a workaround) also in Comms.

14. It Is Your Destiny

Jan 1, 2014
    Skiara

Hi again. :) Oh yeah. I read about that. They called it a sock, but I didn't truly understand the process. How does a member go about creating a second username?

Yes, I have some (limited) knowledge about the forums. Like you explained, I discovered them many years ago.

Thanks for the pep talk. :D I have no intention of disappearing. I appreciate the tech information as well. Your responses have been very helpful, Skiara.

Hi LAJ_FETT. :) Thank you for the link. I have Chrome & Firefox, so this shouldn't be a major problem.

15. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks for helping out, Laj. :)

Getting a sock is pretty easy. All you have to do is following the process below:
    1. log out (or open a different browser)
    2. hit 'sign up' and follow the usual sign up process as you did on Wednesday
    3. There you are! Now, you've created a second username (also called sock).

If you like to post with both, you either have to log out with the one name and log in with the other name all the time (time consuming) or you work with two different browsers (e.g. main name using with Firefox, sock name using Chrome).

Just a short note on the problem with the edit function in Firefox Laj mentioned above. After you hit "edit", you find an empty box with three links at the bottom. One is called 'more options'. Hit that one and the screen loads with your original text again. Or you do a right click on the edit button and choose 'open in new tap/window'. That one might be faster. Hope it helps. :)

16. Jawasinhats27

Jawasinhats27 Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2014
    hey guys jawa here! happy new year and enjoy the forum!!!:)

17. It Is Your Destiny

Jan 1, 2014
    Skiara

Thank you for the explanation about getting a second username. :) Just out of curiosity, do you need a separate e-mail address for the new name? Oh... and is there a thread that explains the rules for a sock? I would assume that responding to your own posts is frowned upon. As for the edit function, I did notice that clicking it results in an empty box. So thanks. Now I know to use "more options". Definitely helpful.

Hi. :) Thank you for the friendly message. Hope you enjoy the forums as well.

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yes - you will need a different email address for any extra IDs. Main thing about a sock - if your main ID gets banned and you post with a sock during that ban it extends your ban length. You can use the sock to discuss a ban with either the banning mod or one of the admins.

If you haven't done it already take a look at our Terms of Service section. There are links to the rules of the JC there.

19. It Is Your Destiny

Jan 1, 2014
    LAJ_FETT

I appreciate the helpful information. :) I'll be sure to look at the Terms of Service again. Thanks for the link.

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    No probs! :)

21. It Is Your Destiny

Jan 1, 2014
    Well, Spike is showing another Star Wars marathon. Watching the saga with commercials is brutal, especially when you consider where they place the breaks. Also, my hate swells when they run the credits without sound so they can show more ads. :mad:

And yet, I can't look away. It is pointless to resist.

Must. Watch. Saga.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I quit on its futility and just started burning through the box set.

23. It Is Your Destiny

Jan 1, 2014
    Hi A Chorus of Disapproval. :) I don't blame you one bit. I should really watch the DVDs instead of lazily settling for a television marathon.

24. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    It Is Your Destiny

Hello, and welcome to the Jedi Council Forums. I love your username. The line is spoken by Darth Vader. Are you a fan of the Dark Lord? I am, as well as Sidious and Count Dooku.
    Obi-Wan-Kenobi is a favorite Jedi of mine. Yoda is my first favorite though.

I hope you enjoy your stay here on the boards, and please don't hesitate to send me a private message/start a conversation with me if I can help you in any way. Have fun over here!

:D

Joy, RKS or Rainbow

25. It Is Your Destiny

Jan 1, 2014
    Rainbow Knight Star

Hi Rainbow. :) I thank you for the kind welcome. I'm glad you like the name. It's one of Vader's most memorable quotes for me. Yes, I'm a big fan of many dark lords. :D Maul and Sidious intrigue me as well. I know that sounds incredibly mainstream, but it's true. As for lesser known Sith, I think Nihilus is rather cool. So, you're a big fan of the count too. Dooku is such a wonderful character. Are you a fan of the EU's portrayal of Tyranus as well?

I'm with you when it comes to Jedi. Obi-Wan & Yoda were my favorites from the start. I have to say though, my affinity for Qui-Gon and Luke has grown substantially. As for lesser known Jedi, I like the variety offered to us in the prequels. Plo Koon & Eeth Koth come to mind. Speaking of Yoda's appeal to me as a character, I'm currently working on a fanfic that features him as a padawan. The fact that he's such a great character even though we know so little about him always impressed me. And I know it's best that way, especially the fact that his species is unknown. So, why write a fanfic about that era? It's just a personal challenge I assigned for myself. Do you have a favorite Yoda moment?

I'm sure I'll enjoy the boards. I'd certainly like to try a private message / start a conversation, so thanks for the offer. I just might take you up on that. Really cool avatar, by the way. :cool: