main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The All-New Senate All-New Social Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by SuperWatto, Aug 2, 2013.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    The little demon thingie there is yours though, right?

Maybe it's cliche, but to me Chicago is the place where jazz got big. I've seen some pictures of it from that era - late 20s, early '30s - and it must have been beautiful. But wasn't that also the time of Al Capone?

So first there was New Orleans. I understand all the places that represented the birth of jazz there are long since gone. Is it the same in Chicago?

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The Chicago jazz clubs are probably all anachronistic, e.g. The Green Mill, but maybe that's more or less the case for jazz as a whole. There's still beautiful jazz music being made all over the place, but I don't have the sense that it has any kind of physical epicenter anywhere in the world.

3. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I meant more like a museum, or a Hot Jazz Bus Tour or something. Something that takes you back to when it was fresh. I agree that a modern-day jazz club doesn't exactly do that.

4. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    The man and fish in that photo certainly seem happy together Jabba.

5. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    It's a statue that portrays the slippery slope of legalizing gay marriage.

6. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Call it coincidence but I just received an email from my head office notifying me that the next international conference will most probablly be held in Chicago next year. Last year was NY, this year was San Fran. Woo Hoo.

DarthBoba and Jabbadabbado like this.
  7. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    [​IMG]

If that's the case, then you have to push the powers at be to book the rooms at the Palmer House Hilton. It's a Chicago landmark.

And for a bit of trivia, the hotel invented brownies about 80 years ago, and who doesn't like brownies?

8. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Looks very nice Mr44. If they offer decent group rates I'm in with a chance.

9. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Feel free to let us know when you're here, Hoth. I'd be pleased to buy you a drink.

And thanks for the good years of discussion on the Senate Floor. 9/11, Afghanistan, Iraq, torture, George Bush.

Good times.

LostOnHoth likes this.
  10. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Thanks Jabba - that would be great.

11. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    Hello, everyone. I'm new to this forum, but not to the JCF. Some of you may know me as prj1. Well, the droid decided to transform into a rainbow. Lol!

SuperWatto I believe we've met before. Love your username. Watto is a cool SW character. Oh, and yes, I have read the guidelines for this forum before posting even a single word in here.

12. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Good to see you.
    You may be the last new person ever to visit the Senate, because I think they intend to close it today.

13. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Well, great. Time to go message board hunting. Or something along those lines.

14. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Farewell all. It's been great interacting with you all over the years.

15. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    So long and thanks for all the heated arguments and fun interactions.

Awaiting my rescue helicopter. I have marked out a landing pad in my backyard. Tired of the arctic conditions in Chicago, and my food supplies are running low. Ideally, I would like to be evacuated to Miami.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  16. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    Sorry I missed all the fun.
    SuperWatto I hope to see you around the JCF.

SuperWatto likes this.
  17. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Kind of a unique situation though. I'm a resigned mod that's still attached to a forum on the scrap heap. Common sense dictates I should be able to do with it what I want... Too bad we don't do banners.

Lowbacca_1977, I looked around for similar places but either I didn't know the right search terms for it or, like here, you gotta be into a particular entertainment thing to be able to get into its debate community. DB suggested Google+, but I still haven't found the patience to check it out. Still, I do wonder what others JCers that ended up only posting in the Senate are going to do. Mr44? Kimball_Kinnison? Fire_Ice_Death? J-Rod? Vaderize03?

The rest of you, I'm sure I'll be seeing you around these parts. Creature of habit. Maybe I'll go back to pestering the guys in Lit.

18. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    If anybody here wishes to stay in touch, my email address is vaderize@netscape.net.

Can't believe this place is going. I joined back in '99, the days of Chyren and Darth Sapient.

It's been a blast. I've been out of the loop, but is anything similar to the senate going to be set up in the JCC? (Forgive me if this has already been discussed).

Feels like the end of an era.

Watto, I'll still be around, mostly in the Episode VII spoilers forum.

Peace,

V-03

19. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    It's a discussion that, largely, is others deciding the best way to do away with us. Ironic, with the interesting discussions going on this week. I'm thoroughly enjoying them.

Ghost and Jabbadabbado like this.
  20. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Heh, same here.

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I didn't know closing these boards was seriously being considered?? This is messed up.

Well hopefully the Senate threads have a special tag in the JCC.

I've also started to go to the Atlas forums about a year ago. It's entirely the same though, has a bit of a weird culture, but it's mostly serious discussion and decent traffic.
    http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/

22. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Yeah, they've had a thorough discussion of everyone that doesn't post here, and they feel like that would be best for the health of the boards. Such is life.

That said, we tried tags in the JCC, and it didn't work. It required constant moderation, or it's just like other JCC discussions. Which, I mean, works for JCC discussions, but I think it tends to go heavier on ridicule than points. Shame that when it comes to politics, reddit is a cesspool

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Even if they get rid of the special rules of the Senate, hopefully the current Senate threads still have a separate tag.

When is this supposed to happen?

24. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    We're still waiting on the mod squad to make a final decision. Having both Christmas and New Year's right in the middle of it all has undoubtedly delayed the process somewhat.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    We're just waiting for them to pull the plug. Even though we're not quite brain dead. We keep signalling that there's still some mental activity, but no one seems to notice or care. They need the bed, apparently, and our next of kin isn't going to be able to pay the hospital bill.