main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Luke Skywalker's New (or Old) Jedi Order?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dra---, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    That's a nifty idea.

I think it's okay that the PT Order was so unlikable. It allows for an interesting contrast with the, hopefully, more interesting Jedi of the ST.

We need them to look more like individuals again. No need for them to all dress the same, or wear robes or brown. Their exteriors should reflect their unique interiors.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    =D=

Ryus, Revanfan1 and Dra--- like this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It helps with the fact that Anakin and Vader were supposed to be different people. A nod to that would be nice.
    I honest to god hope that the NJO is different from the OJO.

Ryus, Pro Scoundrel and Dra--- like this.
  4. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I'd be shocked if it weren't. Lucas did a lot of things for valid narrative reasons in the PT that the fans didn't all necessarily love (like the Jedi). But the ST is a chance to make it all work together as a long narrative arc.

Someone recently talked about the Jedi be decentralized. Rather than having a rigid hierarchy and council set in a temple in the capital of the Republic, they would sort of be like Knights on their own missions, who only came together when absolutely necessary.

Ryus, Lee_ and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There was an element of that in the EU books- Luke trained the Jedi, but once they became Knights, they were encouraged to decide for themselves where they could do the most good.

Ryus, Lee_, Pro Scoundrel and 6 others like this.
  6. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Following their interpretation of the Will of the Force is much more interesting than following the Will of the Republic.

7. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    ...or any Jedi Council. This is why Luke and Qui-Gon are revered.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Sadly, later writers decided to have Luke "tighten the reins" and turn his order into something much like the PT one.

Which may be a good reason to switch over, just before the Vong War. Or just after, if you're OK with it as a background event.

"General Skywalker, years ago you served my father in the Vong Wars. Now he begs your help in his desperate struggle against the New Empire." :D

Ryus, Darth_Pevra, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.
  9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    That's why Ahsoka should've been Obi-Wan's Padawan. :p

Ryus and darklordoftech like this.
  10. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Sorry to quote this again, but I thought of another interesting point this thread brings up.

It was easy to contrast Qui-Gon and Luke as 'true' Jedi with the Old Jedi Order, who were complacent and corrupt. If the new Order is decentralized how does the story contrast the 'new' Luke/Qui-Gon Jedi type from the other New Order Jedi members? Is it no longer necessary to delineate this aspect in the ST or will the story merely concern itself with simply showing us the difficulty of becoming a 'true' Jedi, as Qui-Gon and Luke demonstrate? Or will there be a schism or falling out within the Order, which would provide an opportunity to show us another 'true' Jedi type?

Ryus, Darth Raiden and Dra--- like this.
  11. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I just hope that there's less rigidity in the ST Jedi order. Qui-gon's philosophy of trusting the force over the rules was correct, imo.

12. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    While I prefer the flexible philosophy of Qui-Gon over the stern philosophy of the Jedi Counsel in the PT, I still struggle with his dice force cheat. I'm fine with him using Anakin's podrace as a means to fix the ship (because of his trust in Anakin and in the Force). I also realize that Watto's dice was rigged, but I have always wondered if this was the Force's way of saying the Anakin should remain on Tatooine -- at least until more thought was put into it and the Jedi (or just Qui-Gon) return and free him legitimately.

Maybe Obi-wan's "These are not the droids you are looking for" is just the same, but it doesn't feel the same for me. :confused:

I think Luke is a perfect example to model the Order after.

Ryus, ChildOfWinds and Dra--- like this.
  13. Yeahvin4

Yeahvin4 Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2013
    THIS

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The prequel Jedi reject all passions and the Sith reject positive passions. What we haven't seen is the embraceing of positive passions.

Ryus, Revanfan1 and Dra--- like this.
  15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Altisian Jedi in the EU did. Maybe there could be sequel Jedi that do the same.

Ben's warning to Luke in RoTJ is to bury his feelings deep down, rather than outright reject them:

"They do you credit- but they could be made to serve the Emperor."

Ryus, Revanfan1, Dra--- and 1 other person like this.
  16. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Emperor's gone - let rip

Revanfan1 likes this.
  17. startravellerearth

startravellerearth Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2012
    What about the part about Anakin breaking a rule of not allowing romance to interfere with a Jedi's duty? At least that now that its broken, perhaps Luke can make it allowed.

Dra--- likes this.
  18. MasterSanders

MasterSanders Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2014
    That is what I was discussing in another thread that a life without passion is no life at all that is why I hate the old Jedi Code with no emotion, no passion, no ignorance.... Retarded.... Especially since the whole Jedi order was ignorant of Sidious the whole time and it took Sidious telling Anakin he knew the dark side to even get their attention.... How arrogant do you have to be to say there is no ignorance and no emotion.... When every jedi I have ever seen in the movies and listened to in the audiobooks have all had plenty of emotion... Luke is freaking amazing and I believe that the jedi should move toward an almost Aing-Tii knowledge of the force which I hope that I or another author will address in future books.... That to truly have balance in the force there doesn't need to be just light and dark but more gray and more "rainbow" expression... Because the perfect code is to combine the Sith code and the Jedi code to make the ultimate code.... Especially because the Sith code is so much more badass - Through victory my chains are broken. The force shall free me... So Epic! Jedi code is way too eastern and buddhist for my taste but hey thats just me.... The jedi have to evolve especially in the EU to combat the lost tribe and other mysterious force dangers like Abeloth in order to prevail... I believe there should be a much deeper understanding of the force and I believe that Jacen was on the right path but came to the wrong conclusion because of outside influence but should have become more neutral or otherly like the Aiing-Tii monks to truly come to the enlightenment that he was truly looking for... I hope that Luke will find that enlightenment and balance rather than continually being wary of going to the dark side and just be gray or rainbow so that he doesn't continually have to battle the conflict within himself and the possibility of having other students or his own son turn towards the dark side.... And by the way what's with Kip Durron and Luke being able to wear all black like Sith but yet no one can have a red lightsaber? I mean come on lets get real red is by far the best lightsaber color unless of course like SWTOR you have have black-red which is the best...

Dra--- likes this.
  19. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    They could just take the easy way out and have Luke refuse to take on a student, even after 30+ years, because he's afraid of failing as he believes Obi Wan did with Vader. The ST can then be about Luke finally overcoming his fears and forming the NJO. The rumors of anakin and Obi Wan returning could then be their telling Luke the truth of what really happened and explaining why it was different from Obi Wan's initial story.

"Yoda and I felt the best way to save the galaxy was to turn you into a Sith-killing weapon, swiftly and effectively ridding the galaxy of Vader and the Emperor. It took me all these years to realize how wrong we were."

20. MasterSanders

Jan 2, 2014
    Which would be so anti-climactic... Forming the Jedi Academy and the NJO is some of the best storytelling in the EU and should be included somehow in the ST...

21. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    They've stated their not touching on any of the EU stories, or storylines, in the ST, it's based on George Lucas treatments, and he doesn't read the books, or comics.

22. MasterSanders

Jan 2, 2014
    I know but it still saddens me and disappoints me... If its canon then canon should be made into movies.

23. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    George Lucas has never worked that way, their's been his universe, consisting of episodes 1 to 6, and TCW, and the other one, comics, books, and games.
    The new continuity will be those, Rebels, and the comics, and books, coming out in 2015.

Yesterday it was announced that the comic license was moved to Marvel.
    Aside from the ST, we're also gettiing spin iffs, possible Netflix projects, and possibly a live action series, or two.

24. MasterSanders

Jan 2, 2014
    yeah i get it... i just think the novels are excellent so why use different material when they are so good....

25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Why make Star Wars when you can just adapt Buck Rodgers? Because you want to write your own stories.

Dra--- and darklordoftech like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.