main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Marvel to acquire Star Wars comics/graphic novels license in 2015

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rew, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    There might be a concrete answer in 2014, too.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  2. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    If DH can't continue reprints and Marvel doesn't feel like it it's more a case of "they won't suddenly appear into my collection".

(I hope a clarification comes soon of whether the Omnibuses continue or not. Or my December 31th will be spent taking a student loan and using it to buy a boxful of trades)

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Great. I really am interested. I might rebuy some of the old guides if they reboot. I like them. Any idea when we'll know for sure?

4. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008

It's been known for quite awhile that issue 20 was Brian's last issue. Honestly it should have BEEN a sign then that Dark Horse was losing the license and for some it was.

5. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    And the writer and artist on Legacy 2 just stated they'll end their run in August.

DH saw it coming, is all I'm saying.

Ryus and Malachi108 like this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No, not all comics - that was the time when you had both Miller's Daredevil and Simonson's Thor plus Claremont on X-Men at his best.

This bit from the CBR article really irks:

:_|
    Oh come now, Ennis' Punisher Max is one of the best runs going.

Re: DHC's statement - now that's a classy exit.

As to the future - it could go any number of ways:

IF Marvel do what DHC did and buy the rights to reprint DHC-produced material then there could be some very nice OHC-style hardbacks, but if the EU gets rebooted that ain't happening.

IF they put good creators on the titles, it might be good but who knows how it'll be collected?

I don't have much in the way of confidence in Marvel these days, bought a lot of their stuff over the last decade or so but no longer like their event model. The only ongoing books I'm getting from Marvel in trade are Waid's Daredevil, Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder, Hickman's multi-book Avengers epic and David's X-Factor, plus likely X-Force, for a company that puts out a vast amount of material that's just 7 books.

For those who want to support Dark Horse, my recommendations would be:

Buy the manga - Lone Wolf & Cub is being reissued in high-value Omnibus editions that are brick-sized! No joke, they are. The same creator, Kozue, has another series being given the same treatment - Samurai Executioner.

Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo is utter brilliance.

Adam Warren's Empowered is one of the most affectionate superhero pisstakes you'll ever read, with a surprisingly subversive slant.

The Mignolaverse - This set of titles is perhaps one of the biggest Independent lines going, here's what it covers:
    • Hellboy
    • Hellboy In Hell
    • BPRD
    • Witchfinder
    • Abe Sapien
    • Lobster Johnson
    • Sledgehammer 44
    In total, these have racked up probably in the region of 20-30 trades! That's not counting the deluxe hardback omnibus or Library editions either, which collect 2-3 trades per volume for BPRD and Hellboy respectively.

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Oh it was, but still über-violent just for the sake of it and :( @ Leg 2

8. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    You can probably bet there will be a out of continuity crossover.

Which some will Dread, but I can't not like the idea of Palpatine and Thanos teaming up.

Palpatine with the Infinity Guanlet.

Han Solo in a space battle with the Skrulls.

9. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I don't know why they would let stuff go out of print even if it's "non-canon" if it's selling, especially since their decisions seem to be motivated by money.

10. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Seconding Jedi Ben's post: if you want to support DHC after the loss of one of their cash cows, go buy any of their excellent original series. You won't be disappointed.

11. Darth Nyad

Darth Nyad Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 4, 2013
    [QUOTEAs to the future - it could go any number of ways:

IF Marvel do what DHC did and buy the rights to reprint DHC-produced material then there could be some very nice OHC-style hardbacks, but if the EU gets rebooted that ain't happening.][/QUOTE]

I would like for Marvel to get the rights to reprint Star Wars, would be nice. I really don't want the the EU to get rebooted, and I think that is what is worring me the most.

Darkslayer and Darth Xalfrea like this.
  12. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    People who believe Dark Horse is definded by it's Star Wars out put really are doing a diservice to DH. As I said above, DH puts out comics books of high caliber that put anything they ever did with STAR WARS to shame.

13. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    For everyone hoping to see the Omnibus line continue at Marvel, don't hope too much. Marvel's omnibi are typically hardcover and can cost you upwards of $75

14. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Oh damn Great here we go again! poor dark horse I haven't read all the things they have done but I have liked what I did read -tales of the Jedi. Lucas is probably mad at Disney by now. if it wasn't for the EU sw wouldn't be popular and would not have came back. Reason for all this MONEY and OT fans. I think they are continuing the Omnibuses. I hate marvel comics but love the movies. Pick up any marvel guidebook and MARVEL(see what I did there) at how complicated the last 50 years of comics were. I decided to pick up Justice League once as it looked good and I was hooked DC are really good. I look at the 15 marvel comics on sale and non of them look accessible as it's like the 4352 issue! I think the EU will down the drain and it's sad because I haven't read any of it. I call for a vote of no confidence in Disney.

15. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    We have the continuation of Firefly coming next year from dark horse!

Rew and Jedi Ben like this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What part of it being a MAX comic did you miss? I'd disagree it was pointlessly violent, the violence was nasty and disturbing because that's what it should be.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Only an idiot buys those at full price!

credar likes this.
  18. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Agreed. The Slavers might be one of my favorite storylines ever, and it wouldn't work without all the crude violence.

19. Darth Nyad

Jan 4, 2013
    I agree with DarthMaul208, Marvel comics have not been very good as of late. DC is really killing Marvel in the comics, but when it comes to the movies.....Marvel is on point.

Darkslayer likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Perhaps the best thing about Ennis' Punisher Max - and he's explored the same theme more recently in Fury: My War Gone By and The Boys - is he de-glamourises Frank Castle! Which is, for some, an unforgiveable offence.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  21. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    does the forum update on it's own? or do I have to refresh? I'm new here.

22. Darth Nyad

Jan 4, 2013
    [QUOTEI call for a vote of no confidence in Disney][/QUOTE]

I agree.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What? The company that's presently kicking the crap out of both Marvel and DC is.... Image!

Gorefiend likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Best to refresh the page, especially where this thread's concerned.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I disagree. I buy less Marvel comics than I used to, thanks to the excellent output of independent companies like DHC or Image, but the number of DC comics I currently buy is zero. Their reboot still feels forced and gimmicky and they've had what, two years to find their footing?

TrandoJedi and Jedi Ben like this.