main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Marvel to acquire Star Wars comics/graphic novels license in 2015

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rew, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, that being so, I suggest you cast a wider glance at DHC's lines because they've got a fair bit in common with those publishers!

Gorefiend likes this.
  2. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    It has a book publishing in it's companies

3. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    Rucka's run was one of my favorite Big 2 comics runs in recent years. So great. I just want a series dedicated to Rachael Cole-Alves.

JoinTheSchwarz and Darth Nyad like this.
  4. Darth Nyad

Darth Nyad Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 4, 2013
    Then that is where we will, I hope, see the Books being published. Disney will more than likely bring the hammer down on Del Rey.

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Alves credar, Alves or she'll shoot you! I suspect she's destined for limbo but you never know.

Re: Books

That could well be the next announcement.

credar likes this.
  6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Man, I ditch work for a couple hours to go to the dentist and the whole world turns upside-down.

7. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I thought they just rid themselves of it a few months back?

8. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    *SPOILERS*

Well she was in LA at the end of the series and Punisher's new book is in LA so....maybe? [face_dunno]

9. jaoblias

jaoblias Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 23, 2012
    Man I just realized that Dark Horse losing the license means we won't get anymore Ewoks Digests. I instantly hate this decision a billion times more then I already did.

10. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    I'm actually glad to see this happening. I think Dark Horse has done a decent job prior to the prequels, but ever since I think they've made a lot of poor choices in how they've handled the their existing titles. I'm not bashing the artists or the writers, but I'm dissapointed in how they've shelved, renamed and renumbered the titles they have. For example, cancelling Rebellion only to bring back the same period in the new Star Wars ongoing series without picking back up where they left off. Not only that but if one recalls their initial on-going series was titled Star Wars (so this makes the 2nd time they've used the self-title) only to later rename it Republic. Poor choices if you ask me. I recall the days when it was simple and fun. Marvel 1-107. The way it should have been done. Dark Horse has too many SW titles to try and concentrate on, thus screwing around with Dark Times, Legacy, and Invasion like they are some seasonal comic. Hopefully Marvel will concentrate on one story per month like they used to and get it right and bring over some of the same writers and artists.

11. Darth Nyad

Jan 4, 2013
    I don't know, I honestly didn't know Disney had a book publishing Co.

12. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    No, you're totally correct. I just edited my post to reflect my mistake. They sold it over the summer, although there's apparently some deal for a Disney-Hyperion imprint going forward.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Stranger things have happened - see the handover from Bendis to Brubaker on Daredevil, I'd be surprised but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

14. Darth Nyad

Jan 4, 2013
    I honestly don't think Marvel will bring over the same artists and writers. They will more than likely start new and fresh. Just my opinion.

15. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    well they do so there goes del rey!

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Huh? There was years between DHC's axing of Rebellion and the start of Wood's Star Wars book!

If you think Marvel are only going to put out 1 SW book a month, think again. I'd expect however many they do to be double-shipping at the $3.99 price point.

Gorefiend likes this.
  17. Darth Nyad

Jan 4, 2013
    Either way, It's probably not going to be long, and like I said, Disney will bring the Hammer down on Del Rey.

18. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    Oh god I've only just realised Marvel will now apply their horrible shipping schedule and pricing to Star Wars. $3.99 for ongoings why :_|

TrandoJedi and credar like this.
  19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The reason they renamed their original Star Wars line as "Star Wars: Republic" was because they added a second ongoing series while it was still running: "Star Wars: Empire". By adding the subtitle it more clearly delineated the difference between the two, as well as convey their respective chronological settings.

Star Wood couldn't use "Star Wars: Empire" or "Star Wars: Rebellion" for it's title, and Republic still existed under the Dark Times title, so that wasn't available either (nor would it have been appropriate in this case).

20. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    Well I'm sure for newer readers that may be fine...and perhaps for a lot of the older readers too, but I like my comics tidy. I'm old school in that I like the naming conventions and numbering to continue onward and not be reused or renumbered. It's one thing when DH took over the license and wanted to start fresh, but I didn't like when the ongoing series was renamed to Republic and and the numbering conventions changed on the outside of the comics, nor did I like it when the new ongoing series reused the "Star Wars" title instead of just working off the work of Rebellion. Why ditch the Rebellion series only to come back to it and start over again? Poor decision-making on their parts as far as I'm concerened.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Man, you might hate every single comic book publisher in existence. :p

Gamiel, Grey1 and Jedi Ben like this.
  22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, when Star Wars became Republic, they kept the old issue numbering- and again when it was renamed Dark Times (albeit for the latter the numbering was no longer on the cover but rather the interior publishing copyright block).

spicer and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    Sure that makes sense, but why repeat the same "mistake" or whatever you want to call it years down the road? And they could have started it off by calling it Republic in the first place. And they could have started it off as an issue #1 not #1 of 6. Poor choices is what I'm saying.

24. Darth Nyad

Jan 4, 2013
    Keithabbott....Don't expect too much out of Marvel on that Department.

25. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    that's why comics are confusing especially marvel and that's why I like dc.

Darth Nyad likes this.