main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Marvel to acquire Star Wars comics/graphic novels license in 2015

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rew, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, in corporate terms, a lot of suspected.

But there was also the line of thought that having successfully held the licence for 22 years and building up an excellent record would also count in DHC's favour over Disney.

Sadly, to invoke @Havac's post, the accountants deemed it of no value compared to ensuring it was done within the conglomerate family.

The problem with this outlook? That you can do an excellent job, get lauded for what you do but if the company decides you're on the wrong side of a maths equation, it don't count for squat!

Rew likes this.
  2. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Jedi Ben what about the continuation of Firefly?

3. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Well, I'm not terribly surprised, but a little disappointed. I'm going to miss Legacy, DOTJ, Invasion and their omnibus program.

Two questions: does Marvel release omnibi? and given that Bantam has been doing republishing of their novels even though Del Rey now has the licence, do you think that DH may be allowed to finish omnibussing their existing runs?

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    How do you mean? In what respect?

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    My own theory is DHC would be smart to really ramp up their programme across April-Dec 2014. Even if Marvel obtain the rights to re-publish, I don't see the Omnibuses staying at the prices they are currently.

6. Darth Nyad

Darth Nyad Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 4, 2013
    Well, the amount of stuff I'm buying lately is already down,so I guess at this point, there really isn't any point to think that my purchases is going to be higher.

7. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    well Jedi Ben DHC are releasing the canon continuation of Firefly written by demi-god Joss Whedon and his brother. Unfornatly here in England there are no comic book stores so I have to wait for the collected edition!

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh that, thought you were relating it to some SW aspect.

You're wrong, we have loads of comic stores, some with excellent online mail order - I suggest you look up Ace Comics, their subscription service has a very strong track record if you want to get the issues.

9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    DarthMane2, some of us were kind of hoping Disney wouldn't be motivated by their accountants, so I don't really understand why you are going "I told you so."

I don't even know what to think of this, I have never been a comics person. And when I say that, I mean the only comics I have ever gotten was two out of three issues of a rather old Robin comic (from DC, of course) that were buried in my closet for a very long time, and two things from DHC I more recently obtained, the Dark Empire Trilogy, which I got when I went on a B&N shopping spree in 2012, and Serenity: Those Left Behind, which my brother and his wife got me for my birthday around Thanksgiving last year. I will definitely checking out DHC in the future, if only for Serenity.

Darth Nyad likes this.
  10. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I must say I was really unimpressed by what Joss Whedon did with the comic books. It's in the vein of the movie not really living up to the potential of the series, though. I don't know if his brother does better plots, but even then, if I'm not mistaken, he'll do one more arc that's all mega-angsty-epic story and after that someone else will take over. Which might result in more charming comics, or simply in more insignificant ones.

You know that you just described the average worker's situation since quite some time, don't you.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I personally think this was a more naive outlook than simply thinking Disney wouldn't move it no matter what... :p

All press releases on everything Disney's buying recently, including Indiana Jones, is around purchasing The Brand(tm). I suspect it's easier to control a brand in-house than not, but willing to have John, et al say I'm wrong...

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I haven't read the whole thread yet, if there's anything else around there, but all I wanted to say was: ****!

The2ndQuest , Jedi Ben and Zeta1127 like this.
  13. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I knew this would happen but I always hoped it wouldn't. The disappointment is so crushing......

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, very much so.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You realise you'll have no basis for complaining when we're all cynical bastards, right?

16. Darth Nyad

Jan 4, 2013
    The only thing I'm hoping for right now is that the EU is left alone. I have so much invested in it (money and time).

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Anyway, to develop further on my thoughts: knew this day was coming, hoped against hope that it wouldn't, but alas. It's not that I dislike Marvel -- the only non-Star Wars comic series that I ever read -- Incredible Hercules -- was run by Marvel, but if a licensee is doing a good job than you should leave it damn well alone imo.

Let's hope DHC has a banner 2014...

I. I hate you.

II. Well-played.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Why the hell aren't you reading Age of Bronze? It's infrequent true, but the trades are out.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know? Never heard of it.

The internets tells me: "The series aims to be true to all literary traditions, from Homer's Iliad to Shakespeare's Troilus and Cressida, as well as to the archaeology of the Bronze Age Aegean. When complete it is projected to comprise seven volumes"

Well, that does sound like something I'd like. Especially its attempts to capture both the original and the modern versions, along with what real stuff we can find. That does sound very intriguing. How much of it is out now?

20. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I told everyone this back then. Got blasted by some, heard all these theories as to why it wasn't, but at the end......Like I said before...this is no longer's GL . He sold this to Disney, and they own Marvel. It was only a matter of time before they got this. I knew from day one that this day would eventually happen.

21. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    Thats going to be hard because while I don't think they will change the EU per say, i do beleive that they are going to tell stories and fit them in an era. Just maybe we may not have the daya to day week to week or month to month stuff. But I do expect stories to cover the entire spectrum of the saga...just not an actual date and time. This is not a bad thing. With Marvel getting the license, we may be able to see now animation to dvd stuff, along with comic books and motion comics. Star Wars is going to be big.

black_saber likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    For trades: Volume 1, 2, 3A and 3B and think there'll be a 3C. They're very nice volumes, but I've no idea when the next one will be out, could be a few years.

EDIT: Should add in that they collect 37 issues of material.

There's also Three by Kieron Gillen, which has been dubbed 300 from the slave's perspective, it's a far more critical look at Sparta, with a Classics professor acting as consultant too. It's up to #3, trade probably be out in a few months.

23. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    This is so true...But I also have enjoyed some of Marvel's new stuff. Its not that bad.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    On the renumbering and new number 1s? Yes it is V333, even you'd admit that!

25. Darth Nyad

Jan 4, 2013
    vong333, I can accept that. Just not anything drastic.