main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is Boba Fett really dead....?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Jan 2, 2014.

?

Did Boba Fett die in the belly of the Sarlaac?

1. No, Boba Fett escaped and should be part of the Sequel Trilogy

63 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. No, Boba Fett escaped and his post-Jedi adventures will be part of a Spin Off film

81 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. No, Boba Fett escaped but his post-Jedi stories should be left to the EU

27 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Yes, Boba Fett is Dead... Let it go

141 vote(s)
    38.6%
  5. No, Boba Fett is still being digested, as he will be for another thousand years or so

53 vote(s)
    14.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterSanders

MasterSanders Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2014
    I would also like to see more Night Sister stuff... That whole thing is just too cool... Maybe Ventriss could get that going again under Mother Talzin... Also would love to see more Dathomir jedis, honestly I wish they would just skip rebels, and do EU series starting with Thrawn and just go all the way through to Fate.... That would be the best thing ever...

Dra--- likes this.
  2. MasterSanders

Jan 2, 2014
    Basically just make animated series based on all the books... Thats what I want to see... I would love to do voiceover work for that show!!!

3. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    I could dig that! :D

This could be better though. :p

Sent from my stupid little astro droid using TapaTalk 2.

4. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Well, now, what do you think I meant? One would hope that any new character would be fully-realized and more well rounded, of course.

And Fett wasn't a useless character at all, by the way. He served precisely the role which he was supposed to in the films, that of an ancillary character in the context of the greater saga. Not every character needs to be Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader to be of value. And where some say "overrated," I see fans who are undervaluing his contribution (or willfully ignoring it), however small it may have been. His presence made ESB a richer experience for the viewer, made it a better film. Sure, one could say "anyone could have done what he did. The Empire could have just delivered Solo to Jabba to set up the next chapter in the saga" but "anyone" didn't. Fett did. It was his small contribution to make, and he did it with panache.

And just a few general thoughts:

To the notion of Fett's popularity being out of proportion to his contributions to the story? It's true, of course, but I cannot help but wonder, "so what?" What's so bad about being a cult favorite, with a newfound opportunity for further growth? Look, folks, I know one of the reasons some people bag on Fett is because some of his fans like him solely for his "bad-assery", his armor and/or weapons. Though I'm sometimes at a loss as to why this is such a terrible, terrible thing, I do get it. Honest, I do.

Personally, I never attached all that much value to him myself, either, until he was actually fleshed-out as a character in the EU, whereupon I went back and took even more enjoyment from his appearance in ESB than I had prior. I know there are folks who like to ignore and/or disparage the EU, but unlike the films, these stories did give the guy some character and a storyline with some meat to it. There are plenty of fans who grew to enjoy Fett, not for his character design, but thanks to the development of his EU portrayal, and who now see a similar opportunity for the films to follow suit and give Fett some weight. A Boba Fett stand-alone could be the perfect vehicle for getting that done. It could address the issue, finally, after all these years. Why, exactly, this would be a bad thing, I'll never understand. After all, isn't that kind of the point of character films - to give those ancillary characters the chance for some much-needed development? In that sense, Fett's the perfect candidate.

Of course, the sad fact is that even if a Fett picture really delivered and gave Boba some terrific characterization and thematic weight, some of the very same folks who decry Fett for not having any character would likely still complain that no matter how fine the results, he should never been chosen for a film over character x, y or z, in the first place. Funny how some people are -- that even if Fett were to finally be given the very things they complain about him not having, they'd still find room moan about it. But such is the way of the world.

5. MasterSanders

Jan 2, 2014
    Padawan Fangirl... I also want to see Mandalorian Jedi or Mandalorian sith, etiher leading the mandalorians or leaving them to become a jedi/sith... I think that would be awesome, but I also absolutely love the books so I definitely want to see them played out in series or video game form, which is what I'm actually working on... Designing and developing a concept document to make a star wars RPG that follows the book series.... Which I think would be awesome, but I think it would also be cool to have the animated series accompany the game so you can watch it and play it... I really think Disney should cash in on that train because being able to watch the series and then play it is just way too cool....

Padawan Fangirl likes this.
  6. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I have already said that if a Fett movie was made that I would indeed watch it and ultimately enjoy it because it is Star Wars. However, you just typed out a lot of words that still don't take from the premise that he is entirely overrated and that his fame is indeed blown way out of proportion.

No matter how much EU-flavored lipstick that you put on that pig, it is still a pig. He is a clone. He is a clone of a man who was ousted like a common battle droid. He himself, on screen was delivered a death more laughable than most of Jabba's henchmen that were just as easily taken out that day. In my opinion, he is not worthy of a stand-alone film. A straight to DVD or Disney XD animated project, sure. A video game? That would be awesome. But one and a half to two hours on the big screen? Nope. If anything, Fett is better as a mystery. Explaining him couldn't do much good.

7. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Jango Fett held his own against Obi-Wan Kenobi and it only took the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy (plus a Reek and a jetpack malfunction) to kill him, but yeah, other than that he was ousted like a common battle droid. :rolleyes:

8. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Lol cool, I will concede that. How does that raise Boba's value? You are still talking about a character who stands there. Has his bounty handed to him on a silver platter (or in carbonite) and gets sent to his death by that very same, though unthawed and blind bounty. That is the character that every fan has seen. Clone Troopers have done more. Admiral Ackbar has done more. Jar Jar Binks has been more successful in action in the films.

Lee_ and Mystery Roach like this.
  9. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Well it was Boba who saw through Han's ruse and figured out where he was headed when no one else could, so I'd say he earned that bounty. Honestly though, and this probably runs counter to most people's feelings who like the character, the thing that makes Boba Fett interesting to me is the way his relationship with Jango was shown in AOTC, and the fact that he watched his father die at the hand of a Jedi. That moment of him holding Jango's helmet up to his head justifies any further exploration of that character in my mind.

10. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    I find nothing about the Fett family even remotely interesting. I have never understood the slightest bit of fascination with this character, and found his forced insertion into the prequels...well...obviously forced.

I just don't get it...so I'll vote for death. :)

11. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    I can understand that. But when we see a guy who is wearing this:

[​IMG]

And then he is reduced to:

Before his demise, he even takes 2 clear and unobstructed shots at Luke from roughly 10 meters away and misses both times. That takes all of the "cool" and "mystery" of the character and turns him into a big, galactically overblown chump.

LOL, best Bounty Hunter in the galaxy.

12. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Well I guess anyone can have a bad day. And Lucas admitted that his death was a misstep, and even more of one in light of AOTC. But I think that's all the more reason to show why he was the best bounty hunter in the galaxy, and maybe even that he did in fact escape from the Sarlacc. Besides, I'd be really surprised if there wasn't some continuation of the Fett story in the ST, however large or small it may be. And I do think a Boba Fett spin-off film set in pretty much any era has the potential to bring that 'cool' factor to Star Wars in spades.

TKT, Dra--- and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  13. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Overrated is subjective. And yes, I was never trying to argue that Fett's popularity is in proportion to his achievements. In fact, I explicitly stated that I agree it is not.

My take on it was if his fame is "blown out of proportion," I only ask (again), "so what?" "Who cares?" And "what possible difference does that make?" Do I think it's a bit silly for some people to like Fett based on his design alone, yeah, sure I do, but it doesn't upset me. I certainly don't allow another person's appreciation of something to color my take in a negative way. That would be doing myself a terrific disservice in life. People are free to enjoy what they like, for whatever reasons they like, and why this should bother anyone is beyond me. [face_laugh]

More stating personal opinion as fact. Ugh.

And of course, for many here, the EU holds near as much weight as the films. You know this. We all know this here. To dismiss years of characterization because it appeared in a novel, rather than in a film, means that we cannot share in a discussion on an even playing field, because for a lot of Fett's supporters, the very reason we like the guy in the first place is because of his EU storyline. I'm not sure why it should matter what format the stories came to us in. Fett's story is larger than just his appearances in the films, and no amount of pretending the rest of his story doesn't exist will change that.

Yeah, Fett "went out like a punk" in ROTJ. And then we were given another thirty years-worth of adventures to consider. I cannot help it if you, personally, insist on dismissing the meat of the character as mere "lipstick." If and when Disney informs us that Fett's post-ROTJ story is out-of-bounds, I'd be willing to revisit the discussion based solely on the films, but until that day, it just feels awfully presumptuous to treat as superficial that which, at the time we were reading it, we were told was Fett's canonical story.

In my opinion, this is the best thing you've shared on the entire topic. An honest, simple and straightforward opinion, not disguised as fact. From here, I'd like to think we could agree to disagree and politely leave it at that.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  14. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Everything I said is only my opinion. I do not speak for anyone else.
    It doesn't matter how much weight you give the EU, it is not canon. That is the only fact here. Everything else we have is opinion.
    It does not upset me that folks love them some Boba Fett. It baffles me for reasons that I have showed multiple times above. I give zero weight to anything not canon.

It's just a debate on opinions brother. Fett is undeniably a cool cat among fans. I just don't see it. If we wanted to get into EU matters, I would sooner see stories told about Rogue Squadron and/or Wraith Squadron. Soontir Fel is my all-time favorite EU character. I would love to see movies revolving around an X-Wing vs TIE Fighter sort of thing.

15. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    That's cool. That's totally cool, except... (and I think you know where I going here), yes, the EU is canon. Films and TCW take precedence over everything else, but the publically stated policy of Lucasfilm is that EU is canon.

"C-canon is Continuity Canon, consisting of all recent works (and many older works) released under the name of Star Wars: books, comics, games, cartoons, non-theatrical films, and more." http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon

C-Canon is the level of canon where most of what I'm referencing originates.

Until Disney revamps Lucas' system (assuming they will), novels and the like are undeniably, 100%, officially canon. It just is. That is a fact. Lucasfilm has said so. Now that I know this is how you view matters of canon, I feel that much of the dance we just shared could have been avoided, but hey, I won't sit here and say it wasn't fun. Debating SW with my fellow members almost always is! :)

Circular Logic likes this.
  16. MrCody

MrCody Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2013
    Lawrence Kasdan the writer for The Empire Strikes Back, who is also involved in writing Episode VII will be also be writing the stand alone Boba Fett movie, Lawrence Kasdan who also created the character Boba Fett which is good news. Do you think a stand alone Boba Fett movie is going to work out? Especially because he is a villain

17. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    EHT likes this.
  18. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    From the link that you provided:

So, when it comes to the films, the EU is not canon. C-canon is the collection of all the works under the licensing department. They are not canon to the films. If Disney decides to make it all canon, then that is cool. However, they have been very clear that they are moving forward with original stories that are not part of that EU.

Darth_Pevra, Lee_ and Mystery Roach like this.
  19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    In before the merge

20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I found this old fan film on youtube today - hadn't seen it in ten years.

Rewatching it made me remember why Boba Fett was my favourite as a kid. Sure, he's one-dimensional, sure he's just got an awesome suit... but then again, that doesn't mean they couldn't give him a meaningful story arc in the upcoming films (be they the ST or the spin offs). He could easily (well, relatively) be elevated into a fully fleshed out character, which would in retrospect add another dimension of awesomeness to the OT (as well as Bounty Trail ;)). Just as they did in the EU.

(Oh, and fun trivia: Justin Dix, the director of this fan film actually got hired as a visual effects artist for AOTC and ROTS)

Immortiss and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  21. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I can't imagine anything more boring than a series of movies about Boba Fett. Villain or not, he's just not that interesting to me. I think seeing him as a child and his dad Jango sort of ruined the character for me.

22. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004

I'm not surprised that others feel this way, but it's the exact opposite for me. That's what makes me interested in the character.

Oh, and IBTL.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  23. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Bounty hunters are cool. Boba Fett looks cool. The movie should be cool.

24. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Keep up ??? !!!
    So does Darth Vader. Are they bringing him back too?

The whole tone of that statement/question is implying they are not bringing him back, so maybe you should try and keep up!

Since your being obtuse, appearance means his own spin-off film and probably appears in other spin-off films, and that does not leave out the huge markerting etc.

How do you know it is not ? Fett is just some guy in a cool suit who has about 5 mins of screen time in all 3 OT films before going out like a punk. So no matter what they do before that, it will still be the same punk ending, so yeah it's highly likely he will be back.

25. MrCody

MrCody Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2013
    Its a different discussion all up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.