main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can you be a right winger or a left winger

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by beezel26, Dec 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    So in other words, you have no evidence to back up your assertion that your god has always existed. The origins of the universe are presently unknown, but that doesn't mean you can just say "goddidit." You need to actually have some evidence in order to make such an extraordinary claim.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    I have evidence that doesn't adhere to a purely naturalistic worldview.

3. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Okay, new question, then: Do you have any evidence that there is something more than just a naturalistic universe? Any evidence at all that there are supernatural things out there?

4. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    It depends on what you mean by "evidence". If you're determined to reject all supernatural possibility outright, that's not being rational or "inclusive" at all.

Here's one question of many: why did the Sanhedrin fail to parade Jesus' body around Jerusalem in the first century?

MasterSanders likes this.
  5. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I mean evidence in the traditional sense: the means by which you support a given hypothesis. You propose a claim, you test it, and if the test doesn't hold up, you either reject or modify the original hypothesis. If the test does hold up, you test repeatedly to ensure that the result is correct. That's how evidence works. All things that are known in this universe have been evidenced in this exact same manner.

If I claim I have the ability to fly, I need to show it in order for it to be believable. If I cannot, then there is no reason to believe me. Since there is zero evidence of anything supernatural ever having occurred, there is no reason to include it in my thought process. If you have evidence, show it. The burden of proof is on you.

As for your second question, how is that in any way relevant?

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    What are you even arguing?

timmoishere likes this.
  7. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    This thread delivers.[face_laugh] Moviefan is like Nancy Allen and WormieSaber all rolled up into one.

FatBurt likes this.
  8. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    You're only referring to observational evidence in the present; there's also sources from historical accounts and such.

Christianity hinges on the fully-visible bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ. The Sanhedrin could've completely discredited the early Apostles by revealing Jesus' corpse to the public, but they didn't. Why?

9. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    1) Which historical accounts are those? The Bible? Please. The Bible is mostly fiction, and even the parts that do align with known history are still filled with errors. It is a collection of oral traditions that have been corrupted over the centuries with numerous translations and re-edits. It is a most unreliable source of historical information.

2) See above.

10. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Here's another pertinent question: In LOTR why did they bother with an overland march to drop the Ring in the fires of Mt Doom? Why not just get a big sentient eagle with instructions from Gandalf to drop the ring in the volcano from the air?

11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

Apparently he thinks we're all Muslims.

12. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    And again, this is a glorious example of the danger religion, or more precisely, the religious can pose in society.

The US is not founded on Christian ideals or "Biblically-consistent ideals" or whatever, it's founded on ideals of the Enlightenment and on liberalism. THAT is the foundation of America. Going back to the ideas of the philosopher John Locke, he argued that in the natural state, all people were equal and independent, and from that, everyone had the right to defend their "Life, health, Liberty, or Possessions". That should look familiar, as it's thought (with sound logic) to be the origin of "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness" that has been a key phrase throughout America's history. Going further with Locke, Locke also argued for religious tolerance on a logical basis.
    This influence in the founding of America is very notable in that this is NOT a religious conclusion. It's a secular one. And that is one of the key facets of America, that this is an inherently secular government that does not, in any way, take a stance on the subject of religion. That becomes apparent when looking at the influences of the American Revolution, the founding documents, and the writings of the founding fathers. It's also in line with the foundation of some states, like Rhode Island, which were expressly founded on the concept of religious tolerance.

Those involved, of course, included religious people, but there is absolutely nothing that stops someone from being devoutly religious while also able to work within a secular framework when needed to do so. That can be seen everywhere from Georges Lemaitre, a priest that made valuable contributions to physics and astronomy in his work on the Big Bang while also cautioning the Pope to not mix religion and science, to Barry Lynn, an ordained minister in the United Church of Christ while also serving as the Executive Director of Americans United, a group that advocates for protecting the separation of church and state. That rich history of secularism and keeping faith and good governance as separate matters is the legacy of the founding fathers, not a theocracy.

13. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    If you truly believe that, you don't know much about the history of the Jewish people. They recorded tons of things, from stone tablets to papyri, anytime something major happened in their society.

The main difference between Christians and everyone else when it comes to science is that Christians look to Scripture first, and use it to explain what occurs in the natural world. They don't abandon other sources, but the Bible takes priority.

Here's an example I've seen many apologists use: when asked how dinosaurs fit into Scripture, their answer is "They don't. That's going backwards. What you do is start with the Bible, and use it to explain the dinosaurs." People immediately object, saying dinosaurs aren't mentioned in the Bible. Well, they're only partially correct; the word "dinosaur" wasn't coined until the 19th century, and didn't enter popular use until the 1920s. However, creatures are described in Scripture which closely resemble different varieties of dinosaurs...they're called "dragons".

"Hold on," you might hear folks say. "Aren't dragons mythical?" Many apologists' answer (and mine) would be, "Not necessarily." Many different cultures have stories about dragons that have lasted for over a thousand years, and the Book of Job mentions a creature called Leviathan that both flies and breathes fire. This sounds ridiculous to naturalists, because they assume nothing's ever existed which people don't see on a regular basis in the present. A question I've often posed is, "if dragons never existed, why does the Chinese Zodiac contain 11 real animals, and one mythical creature?" Its just something to think about.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Now you're just being ridiculous. Yes, dinosaur bones might have inspired stories of dragons, but you're twisting it around and going about this in such a self-defeating and ridiculous way.

Especially in the context that you're supposed to be responding to this:

And your response is to bring up Jews being really good at writing stuff down, dragon tales, and the zodiac as evidence? Really?

15. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    That is one very large non-sequitor. It doesn't prove any credibility of the Bible, and it certainly has nothing to do with politics.

16. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Humans and dinosaurs never lived during the same time periods, so no, the Bible does not mention dinosaurs in any way. Perhaps some ancient humans encountered dinosaur fossils and called them dragons or whatever, but the fact of the matter is dinosaurs died out 65 million years ago; the oldest human remains we have discovered are somewhere in the 200,000-1 million-year-old range.

17. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    In all fairness, I was going to start a separate thread about apologetics, but wound up using the Creation thread. If you guys would care to move this discussion there so the political chat can get back on track, I've no objection.

18. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Apologetics would seem to cover far more than anything with creationism does, sufficient to really be it's own thread, I'd think.

19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    You're the one who keeps dragging this thread off-topic. I asked that people take discussions about Christianity and homosexuality to the relevant threads to allow focus on politics, and the very first post was:
    If you cannot show the self-discipline to stay on topic, then perhaps you should show the self-discipline to stay away from Senate topics altogether. If you can do neither of those things, then I can help you by directing you to the Unban Request forums ;)

If too many people drag this thread off-topic, it will be locked. Last warning.

20. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Hold on, Merkurian. Now you're being a little unfair. All Moviefan2k4 was saying is that Christians (the right as you call it) see the Bible as key to how they view political issues; nothing more.

Regardless, I think this thread should be locked. It would have been better existing in one of the other topics instead of trying to stand on its own because, as Moviefan2k4 said, Christians view political issues through the lens of the Bible.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought the original topic was whether both sides of the political fence could disagree without resorting to marginalization and extremism including the "Nazi" label?

Instead it became the "right wing soapbox of the moment" thread.

Based on that, the answer to the OP appears to be "no."

I'd be interested in exploring how both sides could agree to disagree, which is one reason I posted what I did about effective evangelizing for Christians. But if that discussion absolutely can't happen then I agree that this thread may have run it's course.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I'd be interested if anyone else views this as indicative of the polarity being discussed, but I was looking through the exit poll data for presidential elections from 1976 to 2012 at this address: http://www.ropercenter.uconn.edu/elections/

An interesting thing I note is in their break down of exit polling by groups, there seems to be a marked shift between how split the voting is for Republicans and Democrats, as well as for conservatives and liberals (which I'll treat as roughly Republican and Democrat affiliated, respectively). I'll be listing percentages in the order of Republican/Democrat | conservative/liberal
    Looking at how many voted for the opposite party, in 1976, those numbers were 11 / 20 | 30 / 26
    The following election, Reagan's first in 1980, has similar numbers: 11 / 27 | 23 / 28
    It's worth noting that in these elections, Republicans represented less than 30%, and Democrats represented over 40%. Now, jumping forward to two recent elections, again one where each party has won an election, for comparison.
    In 2004, Bush's second election, has a big change in numbers: 6 / 11 | 16 / 13
    In 2012, Obama's second election, the numbers are similar: 6 / 7 | 17 / 11
    Of note is that here, both parties are now at somewhere between 30 and 40 percent of voters.

I'll try to put this together visually tonight, but what I seem to come away with here is that those identifying with one of the parties has become purer and purer, and the numbers of people that are willing and interested to vote for the opposing presidential candidate has been decreasing from 1976 to 2012, with the Democratic party level of partisanship recently catching up with the Republican level, and that the not necessarily party-sepecific terms of liberal and conservative have also seen the candidate purity grow as dissenting votes have dropped from around 25% to around 15% over the same time period.

My question on this then, is does this represent in some fashion a marker on how political echo chambers have been developing on both sides, where political groupings are less and less likely to include those that have some dissent, to the point that they will openly consider candidates of an opposing party?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I can only speak for myself here.

I've voted in every major election since 1990. The election in 2012 was the very first one in which I voted a straight Democratic ticket. In prior elections, I had been strongly opposed to voting a straight ticket. I wanted to consider each individual candidate on his or her own merits as opposed to the party he or she represents.

In 2008 I voted for Obama but I voted for the Republican candidate, Pat McCrory, for North Carolina governor. I thought he had done a great job as mayor of Charlotte, he was pretty moderate and we had had the worst possible Democrats in the state government for several years, worst meaning corrupt, which had nothing to do with their political party.

Fast forward to 2012 and the extremists have taken over the GOP on both a state and national level. My opinion of McCrory hasn't changed, I still like the guy, but given the crop of GOP representatives that took over our General Assembly, I could not vote for a Republican Governor who might feel obligated to sign off on any crazy **** they decided to pass at the eleventh hour. (There was one bill in the Assembly mandating that women duct-tape their boobs in order to avoid potential wardrobe malfunctions. I'm not making that up.) McCrory did win and thankfully he has surpassed my low expectations and not been Thom Tillis and ALEC's patsy on every issue, but until the GOP gets out of this extremist mode--as in, when the local ones stop making my state a running joke on The Daily Show and when the national ones stop making statements virtually indistinguishable from Onion headlines--I doubt anyone with an "R" after his or her name will ever get my vote.

I have no idea if anyone else has had a similar experience or thought process.

Jedi Merkurian and Ghost like this.
  24. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Look at Chris Christie…here's a guy who has broad national appeal, a Republican governor in a very Democratic state, and will probably run in 2016. Will he win the Republican nomination? No. Why? The Republicans don't want a moderate, pro-choice candidate. They probably could have won with Gulliani in '08, but ran McCain. I like and admire John McCain…but his campaign in '08 seemed to be a 180 from his campaign in '00.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, and Christie got absolutely blistered by his own party when he worked with Obama on Hurricane Sandy relief, and when he was asked to do a tour of Sandy-devastated areas with Romney and responded with 'I don't have time for that, I've still got thousands of people without power.'

Even though there is a lot I disagree with him on, I would consider voting for Christie if I didn't like the Democrat he ran against. Any candidate who would actually be nominated by the current GOP though? I'd write in my 13-year-old cat first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.