main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is the Emperor really dead?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Palpatine is one of my favorite characters of all time, across any medium.

But I would loathe an "oops, he's not really dead" development in a film. The clones were bad enough in the EU.

2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Palpatine is dead. I know this because I saw him get thrown down an exhaust port into space. Then the space station blew up shortly after.

Pro Scoundrel and Darth_Pevra like this.
  3. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    This is what you believe you saw. Eyesight is not always very trustworthy. Illusions are everywhere.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I saw Obi-Wan get slain by a lightsaber and then the space station that Obi-Wan was on blew up shortly after.

5. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Yes & following that he was dead, only appearing as a disembodied voice or as a vision in spectral form. If you're saying this makes him "alive" then so is Anakin & Yoda.

There's no problem with Palpy appearing like this in Ep7. No ones going to buy that he survived the exhaust port though.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I get you now.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The Matrix has you.

Dra--- likes this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Wasn't there a line in some obscure film from the 70s that went something like, "Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them"? ;)

9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    We were watching twin peaks? [face_hypnotized]

In this genre you can usually trust your eyes.

10. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Until you can't.

This a genre with magic and sorcery. So I'm not sure why you're so confident.

Immortiss likes this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    All the more important to have some rules. Especially important.

Pro Scoundrel and Dra--- like this.
  12. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I hate rules.

13. Lord Schtam

Lord Schtam Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2014
    I do not know if I would like to see Palpatine's clones, but I sure hope that he will appear as force ghost in peoples' nightmares.

Immortiss likes this.
  14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Imo good writers follow the conventions they themselves set up. However sometimes it may still be beneficial to break a rule.

Immortiss likes this.
  15. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Yup, he's really dead.

16. niel6658

niel6658 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2013
    Yes, unfortunately Palpatine is dead. But, he could return as a force ghost like Obi Wan, Anakin and Yoda did in the OT. The problem boils down to the fact that George Lucas wanted to end the SW saga after ROTJ. However, now that Disney has bought Lucasfilm and wish to continue the SW saga, we lack an EVIL villain, an EVIL Emperor.

First of all, Star Wars without the Empire, Force users and light sabers, would be like Star Trek without the Federation, Star Fleet and space ships!

The SW saga has to come up with a believable villain who would make Palpatine a simple pawn in a much larger master plan of the Sith. Darth Plageuis seems like the only villain that could do this. I think Plageuis would be the obvious choise as Emperor of a restored Sith Empire.

However, first Plageuis has to be brought out of hibernation by one of Palpatine's Force using agents. It could be an Imperial Hand, a Dark Acolyte or an Imperial Guard who has spend the last decades finding the place where Plaguis has been hidding from the "Chosen One". After his return the Sith lord will have to surplant the Warlords of the Imperial Remnant and reform the Sith Order so that it can destroy the decendants of the "Chosen One".

The first movie could be a race to avoid the resurrection of Plageuis (which our heroes loose), the second movie could be about how Plageuis bring the former Inquisetors, Imperial Hands, Dark Acolytes and other Dark side Force users to his cause, while our heroes try to find out what is happening. The third movie could be about how the Sith surplants the Warlords of the Imperial Remnant and restores the Sith Empire.

This would open the SW saga up for many new Jedi/Sith adventures. The surplanting of the Warlords could even be done in the second movie, so that we could get back to some awsome Empire vs. New Republic action.

SHARKY_CHOMPCHOMP and Immortiss like this.
  17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I would much rather see Palpatine's clowns instead.

Immortiss likes this.
  18. butlerd

butlerd Jedi Master star 1

Dec 31, 2008
    As far as I'm concerned he is and would like him and Anakin/Vader to stay dead. The post-ROTJ EU-aside from the Dark Empire stories-seem to have managed quite well without Palpatine/Vader. The Thrawn Trilogy and NJO in particular show that good original villains can be successfully created. I would like it if writers weren't constantly resurrecting characters. As much as I enjoyed the Maul TCW eps, I still don't feel like he was a necessary addition to the series nor was it ever adequately explained how he survived. Focusing on the new character of Savage Oppress would have been better IMHO. Speaking of Maul, I wonder if we will ever find out what Palpatine/Sidious has planned for Maul post-TCW?

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be...unnatural."

The comic book The Sith Hunters shows, in flashback, how Maul got to Lotho Minor, where he's first encountered in TCW, in the first place.
    To sum up (Wookieepedia version):

Using the Force, Kenobi leaped out of the shaft and summoned the lightsaber to his hand. The Jedi Padawan landed after a mid-air turn, executing a blindingly fast horizontal slash that bisected Maul. Flinching in shock and pain, Maul fell backwards into the shaft in silence, his two halves separating.[9]
    However, Maul managed to survive his defeat at the hands of Kenobi. Through his hate and will to live, as well as his hatred against Kenobi, he reached out with the Force and grabbed an air vent.[3] He went down the reactor shaft and landed in water. The Sith Lord was then dumped into a container, which was taken to Lotho Minor. As he lay submerged, he fell into unconsciousness, cursing Kenobi.[36]

Arriving at his destination, Maul woke up. He activated his lightsaber and carved his way out of the container, screaming with rage. He struggled to move on through the junkyard world. Soon, he encountered insects the size of his arm and managed to crush one with his own left hand before using his teeth to rip a leg off. But as he started eating, the Sith Lord heard a scream coming from his right.[36]

A sly and mysterious Anacondan named Morley was slithering away in fright from one of Lotho Minor's gigantic machines, the Fire Breather. Maul threw his lightsaber with the Force directly at the Fire Breather's head, piercing it through. The machine instantly fell to the ground, the fire from its mouth extinguished. His weapons returned to him, Maul once again blacked out. Morley wrapped the Zabrak in his coils and brought him into the caves of the planet, which would eventually become his sanctuary.[36]

Maul reawakened and, with all of his anger, was able to use the Force to acquire a six-legged arachnid-like cybernetic apparatus to replace his lost lower body.[36] For twelve years, Maul's memories were lost and he was in a state of near-madness, eating only the small animals that came to the cave, aided in obtaining shelter and sustenance only by Morley, but the only thing he remembered was Obi-Wan Kenobi and how he took his legs.

Circular Logic likes this.
  20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    To open another can of worms, maybe Maul stole the secrets of how to keep oneself from dying from Plagueis himself. Maul is a person who is perfectly capable of sneaking into a fortress of evil and escaping from it undetected.

Dra--- likes this.
  21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm told the new book: Darth Maul: Lockdown, has some interesting themes- with Plagueis giving Maul his own orders that contradict those of Sidious.

Dra--- likes this.
  22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    TCW made me a fan of maul. I will probably read the book.

The free excerpt was pretty interesting as it is not the usual beginning for a star wars book.

I would say that Maul is the best Sith there is at subterfuge and espionage. If anyone could steal Plagueis secrets (even behind Palpatine's back), it's him.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    TCW ended up spawning quite a number of Maul spin-off comics and books.

Comics: Darth Maul: Death Sentence, and The Sith Hunters (which I've mentioned). Books: Darth Maul: Shadow Conspiracy (a novelization of the season 5 episodes), and The Wrath of Darth Maul (compilation of various events in Maul's life from childhood, to Savage discovering him- draws heavily on previous work like Episode I Journal: Darth Maul)

Circular Logic and Darth_Pevra like this.
  24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope Maul replaces his chicken legs with penguin ones.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.