main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can you be a right winger or a left winger

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by beezel26, Dec 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I heard an interview with her on Thom Hartmann once. She is insane. She also wants to outlaw divorce except in cases of adultery or physical abuse and actually said to Thom that any person who is unhappy in his or her marriage should just cheat.

LOL wut?

She didn't have an answer regarding emotional abuse.

You definitely have my sympathies. Politicians who refuse to live in the real world are so much fun.

2. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    I agree that divorce laws should be stricter again, but endorsing adultery is crazy from any standpoint. If I was married, my deal-breakers would be cheating, child or spousal abuse (all forms), and occultic involvement.

3. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Occultic involvement????

Would this include reading Harry Potter or the Twilight "novels" (I could agree with that)

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  4. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    I'm talking about involvement with actual witchcraft, such as Satanism, Wicca, animal or human sacrifices, etc.

5. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Human sacrifice happen a lot round your neck of the woods then?

6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Why do you care what other people do in their lives?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    I'm pretty sure that Kerns is divorced too.
    Yes, the politicans out here are crazy, but keep in mind, the citizens aren't too stable since they keep electing these yahoos.

8. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    I absolutely don't believe divorce laws should be stronger. Divorce can be hell to go thru for a lot of people, why make a difficult time harder on people. People should be able to decide for themselves who they want to marry or divorce for themselves without an excess of goverment interference.

9. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    The only way that would happen is if the federal government removed itself from all marital arenas completely, and I don't see that happening since so many different groups want tax benefits.

10. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    I care because marriage is a sacred institution, and every time its damaged further, other effects are unleashed at the same time. For example, does anyone really think Roe v. Wade would've been successful in 1973, if laws concerning divorce and contraception hadn't been altered first?

11. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    It's unlikely, but it's still the right thing.
    The whole attitude of people wanting to make divorce more difficult seems strange to me, and kind of condescending. It definitely suggests an uncomfortable level of social control over people's private lives. I see from your signature that you support smaller government, so I think we're on the same page here. The government should get out of the marriage business all together imo.

12. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    Or maybe we're not on the same page after all.

13. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    Well, I've had conflicting concerns over several aspects of marriage from a legal standpoint in the last 2 years or so. One of them is whether marriage licenses are even appropriate for Christians, since its essentially granting the Feds control over your union, should they choose to exercise it. I believe marriage was originally created by God as a lifelong commitment of honor, between one man and woman. As such, my overarching stance is that anything which honors that original creation should be encouraged, and anything which seeks to destroy it should be discouraged.

14. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    If that's your reason for getting married, fine. But you can't enforce those reasons on anybody else. Everyone has to decide for themselves whether or not to get married, to whom, and whether or not to get divorced later.

Perhaps I haven't stated this strongly enough, so here it is again: Your religious beliefs only apply to you, and not to anybody else.

15. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    Yes, other people's civil rights shouldn't be restricted to satisfy someone else's religious beliefs.
    That, and marriage equality doesn't do anything to destroy "traditional marriage" any more than giving women the vote destroyed the election process, or desegregation destroyed education.

16. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
  17. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Support traditional marriage. Because your daughter is worth at least four goats and a camel.

18. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I don't think you understand. No one is stopping you from stating your opinion. There's no legal repercussions to voicing your stance on an issue as long as you aren't advocating violence. But freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences, particularly social ones. Guess what? People have the right to voice their opinions on anything you say. I always find this puzzling -- people want to be free to make bigoted comments but then demand that everyone shut up and "get over it" and "stop being so sensitive." Well, now, isn't that suppression of freedom of speech?

19. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    The Sumerians had marriage and they didn't believe in a Christian or Jewish god.

20. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    My god that is messed up. Why would that even need to be in there? Was women grabbing guys junk in a fight this big issue that needed to be addressed?
    The haters cherry pick, of course. It's worth noting that the gay issue doesn't make the Ten Commandments, it's place in the Bible is relatively obscure, but it's the thing people focus on.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Laws altering contraception should not have been changed? Someone who is opposed to abortion is actually advocating a return to the pre-1965 days when even married people weren't allowed to use birth control?

Here's a thought: birth control prevents unwanted pregnancies, and few people abort a wanted pregnancy.

The pro-life crowd should be pushing for less restrictions on contraception, not more.

I don't like the idea of abortion at all, although I'm not in favor of outlawing it in the first trimester (after that I am in favor of outlawing it). Because of this stance, I am in favor of keeping access to contraception as unrestricted as possible.

As far as divorce, no, we do not need a return to the 50s when people (often women) in miserable situations had few options.

I really wish the party that claims to be in favor of "small government" would stop trying to pass laws dictating when and with whom people can have sex. That's as invasive as a government can get. People claim that taxation is invasive but Democrats aren't pretending to be the party of less government.

Oh, you don't want to pay welfare for children already born? Good. Another reason to support widespread availability of contraception and accurate and comprehensive sex education.

22. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    You'd think everyone on both sides of the abortion argument would support birth control and sex education. It is a little baffling, this whole idea that educating people on sex and reproduction is morally wrong and encourages loose morals instead of responsibility and the ability and knowledge to protect yourself.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    But how will I sell my daughter to a man for three goats and a camel if I can't make sure that she's a virgin or pregnant???

VadersLaMent and Endor_boy like this.
  24. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    I'm not entirely against contraception, but some variant include ingredients that destroy already fertilized eggs. Science has proven that life begins at conception, so abortion in any form equals murder regardless of popular opinion.

That's only a fact if truth is determined by belief, but its not.

The problem with most forms of sexual education (at least in the U.S.) is they regard abstinence as unacceptable from the start. Dr. Ruth Westheimer once said that humans are like animals, with sexual drives so strong that holding them back is dangerous...yet, if asked by a man whether he should pressure his unwilling girlfriend for sex, she'd likely advise him to wait. Its a classic double standard.

MasterSanders likes this.
  25. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    Just because other alternatives to abstinance are given doesn't mean that abstinance is regarded as unacceptable in the curriculum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.