main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Fan Fic Pet Peeves?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by alienyouthct, Jul 30, 2002.

1. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Right up there with 'I suk at summariiz!!' is any fic described as 'random.' This used to be simply annoying, now it's a peeve.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  2. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I am guilty of this sometimes but it is annoying and bad writing (shame on me for doing it): the absence of emotion(s), even numbness, when there are revelations or comments that should be world shattering.

I nearly messed up really badly when writing the first chapter of [a fic] and Bryg pointed out that Bail needed to react to the news that his wife had been critically injured instead of immediately asking about Leia. Even if he didn't love Breha he is going to ask how she is if she was hurt.

Mav Edit: Title of fic removed.

3. Jedi Conslar 053

Jedi Conslar 053 Jedi Youngling

Dec 31, 2013
    friggen right bub the weatha is wicked up heauh

Lady_Misty likes this.
  4. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Bad grammar. I always let it slide with writers whose native language isn't English, but if nothing else, bad grammar ruins what could have potentially a very good story.

Sent from my stupid little astro droid using TapaTalk 2.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Sometimes that can be annoying but speaking as one who writes, it can be equally annoying that some readers nitpick everything to death and deem a story or writer 'not good enough' simply because their style doesn't speak completely to them. It's likewise quite annoying that many readers seem to dictate to writers as though its their right. You can dislike something without potentially breaking the spirit of a stranger.

Valairy Scot, Padawan4687 and pronker like this.
  6. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    People who write "Chewy the Wookie" drive me crazy. Also, I once wrote out See Threepio (on another site) and was ridiculed by some troll that said, "See Threepio! It is C3PO you idiot!" SW fans that never picked up a book or even a comic and don't know C3PO and R2-D2 are often actually written out as See Threepio and Artoo Detoo irritate me to no end…especially when they go out of their way to criticize my spelling.

7. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    I just assumed that everyone does attend school (unless there's a valid reason that they didn't) but none of the profic writers write about it because it would get dull really quickly. Then there's situations like the Yuzzhan Vong invasion which would make it difficult for anyone to have a structure like going to school.

Admiral Volshe and Lady_Misty like this.
  8. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I wasn't suggesting the author follow the character as he sits through a mind numbing class in civics. I am simply stating that there is no mention of any formal (non-jedi) schooling in most of the Star Wars novels with the exception of Imperial Academies. Han, Tycho, and a number of other older characters attended military academies. Our knowledge of their schooling wasn't boring. It usually consisted of a sentence or a paragraph stating they went to school.

You could show young teenage Jedi Knights went to regular school by them saying, "Sorry Jacen, I can't go to on that insanely dangerous mission because I have midterm exams." Of course that brings us to the real reason why school is not mentioned. If they had a regular class schedule then they theoretically couldn't drop everything to go on some asinine YJK Goonie adventure every month.

SiouxFan likes this.
  9. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    In the Coreillia Trilogy Leia hired a tutor for her children but that is the only mention of the Solo children getting a formal education. I don't even think they had a true lesson from the tutor.

I don't even think other non Jedi talked about going to school or having a tutor or if they did it was off handed.

Even in Star Trek they talked about school and things they did. Captain Archer mentioned getting caught passing notes to a girl in class once.

I see it understandable that the Solo children would have had tutors but they don't mention secretly reading something other then their assigned reading during class on their datapads or sending messages to each other using the datapads or someone else.

Luke doesn't talk about long distance learning or being taken to another farm or other children coming to the farm to learn from a teacher.

School is a large part of the lives of citizens of most countries and people that went have stories to tell about their experiences. Heck, I was homeschooled after the fourth grade and I have stories to tell of my exploits. [face_mischief]

Sent from my PADD using Tapatalk

"The Starman and Moon Goddess." Han Solo - Dark Angel

10. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    There's mention of school in research sources, such as the Holonet News talking about the occasional college student and high school student. Death sticks were a problem in many high schools, there was a model Galactic Senate in what I assume was a middle school, and at least a couple college students were interviewed for "man on the street" pieces. So, school as we know it does exist, just as an aside and as a mention in non-story sources.

If I recall, in a much-derided TCW episode, "Price of Peace" (or a similar title), school was mentioned as one of Padmé's handmaidens had children who were unable to go to school due to government cutbacks, and their home life in general was affected by the war. It was something I very rarely see ever addressed and it provided great insight into the average Jax Schmax's life. And we've seen whitewashed Mando schools in TCW, so school itself exists there, as well.

School may be a big part of our lives, but the average American reading audience, unless within a certain age bracket, such as young adult (which SW books aren't marketed toward), doesn't want to read about teenage angst and school issues. We've been through it, we have our memories, but if given the choice to go back to high school, many of us will opt to shoot ourselves in the foot. School brings bad with the good memories. It's generally not something we care to read unless the story setting is about teenagers being teenagers.

I can see a SW high school story being popular in Japan, for example. School is an even bigger part of their lives in the land of naughty tentacles. But, here? First, for it to catch on, we'd need to structure it to appeal to both the teenage high school drama crowd and the EU crowd. It would be a difficult balance to maintain and would end up being more akin to Buffy with lightsabers than the star-hopping EU that we're used to.

Now, back to pet peeves...

Age-regression stories bug me. Not sure why. There are only a very select few stories like that that I actually like, and when I've partook in writing any, they were basically farcical romps with one-off jokes or simple pun plots. Nothing major, just a simple gag and I'm done. Other kid-fic stories I've read treated the kids as separate characters entirely, in a separate universe. This is just the Muppet Babies story, not actual age-regression. Other stories I've read, though, where it's treated as a look back into the past, I just never found to be all that amusing.

11. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I, too, am puzzled by age regression stories. Muppet Babies, ha! Also gender flip. It may be that my imagination is just not large enough, I dunno[face_blush]

12. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    In that same vein, I'm glad that Star Wars isn't plagued (at least to my knowledge) with the anthropomorphizing of non-Human characters.

13. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Do you mean mentally (they're depicted too much like humans) or physically (they look like the humans-with-animal-heads that are often popular in art)?

I sometimes see complaints about certain species like the Selonians being "furries" because of their design. Usually that's if the species has a head that physically resembles that of some fluffy Earth critter such as a tiger or wolf. (Lak Sivrak would be so guilty by this standard.)

14. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I like anthro art and species in SW and other things. I even have some of my own in original stories. All anthro species or characters are NOT furries, though. Personally, I don't like the generally accepted connotations of 'furry'.

15. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Actually I'm referring to certain sects of fan fiction/fan art (mostly art) where characters that are "normally" some form of animal with human-like features are literally remade as humans. Sonic the Hedgehog is one such fandom prone to this. It just seems to be so much waste of creativity to do that, when they're perfectly fine as depicted in "canon."

As for Star Wars itself, I think the mix of species is pretty well-varied. Certainly better than Star Trek, but one can understand why.

16. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Humanizing animal characters. Back in the day, I partook in such things and still have some Pokemorph sketches lying around. Nowadays, I don't understand it. Back then, it was so that various animal characters could be dropped into a school setting without it being too weird. Charmander sitting in a classroom would look silly. But, if Charmander looks like a scaly teenager with the latest teen fashion, and his classmates are similarly anthropomorphized, then it works better.

I see this mostly with people who are still in school, and with people who started the concept while still in school, and at the time, it made sense to me.

But, I grew up, and now I just see it as silly.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    =((

18. Ewok_Slayer

Nov 24, 2004
    Am I the only person who enjoyed High School? I loved everything about my childhood. It's my adult life that is somewhat lacking.

SiouxFan and Gamiel like this.
  19. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I enjoyed learning in HS but not the climate especially being a mostly mainstreamed challenged person. :(

20. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    There's a line from 'Calvin and Hobbes' where his dad is lying awake in bed, "If I had known adulthood was all ad-lib, I wouldn't have wanted to grow up so much." (Paraphrasing a bit)

Being a grown-up seems MUCH easier when looking at it from the outside-in!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. Ewok_Slayer

Nov 24, 2004
    I went to the most mellow High School probably on the planet. I never saw fights, bullying, drugs, or a lot of drama. People were in cliques but they were approachable. We all simply hung out with like minded people. I guess I was lucky.

Anyway, getting back to pet peeves. I hate it when I lay down and try to think of a plot line for a particular chapter and suddenly it comes to me and I work out the whole thing in my head…but I am too tired and it is too late to start typing so I put it off for the next day. And when I wake up I am eager to write…but I forgot that entire fantastic plot bunny from the night before. So then I end up sitting in front of a computer trying to recall this awesome story I wrote up in my head the night before, but obviously didn't find its way into my long term memory. :mad:I know that I should keep a notebook by my bed, but I was sure I would remember what I thought up. I guess I thought wrong.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  22. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    That has happened to me Ewok_Slayer. I was thinking of a companion piece to my first ever one-shot and the internal thoughts were great and I liked the feel but when I thought of them not only was it very late but I was at Bryg's, the lights were off and we needed sleep to take care of the little ones at her Day Care the next day I would forget all the good stuff the next morning. I did end up with some interesting things for it but it wasn't half as good as I think it could have been.

23. Ewok_Slayer

Nov 24, 2004
    I did think of something to write, but for the life of me I can't recall if it was my original idea. It's weird. It is like when you have a dream and then you wake up and five seconds later you can't remember it.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  24. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    I'mquote="Ewok_Slayer, post: 51236839, member: 1152746"]
    Am I the only person who enjoyed High School? I loved everything about my childhood. It's my adult life that is somewhat lacking.[/quote]
    I'm always a little amazed at people that see their childhood so fondly. Most of my childhood and teen years were living he'll I wouldn't relive for a million dollars. At least as an adult I have a level of control over my problems.

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    This is more of a self - pet peeve:

Characters popping up out of nowhere and invading your storylines.