main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    Ah. You're trolling or you say that in jest.
    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

No, I agree with Wocky entirely. There's just such better fantasy out there. It's not even a case of "Tolkien went first" because Robert Howard was writing fantasy at much the same time.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    To be honest, I've always wondered how Tolkien might have felt, had he been born later and survived to the present, about MMORPGs (or even something like Skyrim). He seemed particularly passionate about the land, history, and (especially) language of Middle-Earth. I've always felt an MMORPG would be the best setting in which to bring this to life -- have players learn and adopt a native language and traverse Middle-Earth seeking different adventures throughout its history.

Though, of course, there's always been the contention that video games aren't a real art form, so perhaps he would have hated the idea.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darkslayer like this.
  4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    He hated tech; I think he would have probably LOVED the concept of tabletop RPG. But we can see what Gandalf would have looked like in Forgotten Realms, thanks to Ed Greenwood and his derivative ass.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What are you talking about? There are literally whole sections of his novels that he forthrightly admits had no plot at all. He was just aimlessly describing fictional stuff. Guess what? That shows. Pretty painfully. His stories are nothing to write home about. Very few of his characters have any depth, meaningful personality, or nuance at all. His very writing, down at the technical level of diction and sentence construction, is pretty unimpressive most of the time. What he created was a serviceable story in a rich, deeply intriguing, explosively creative world. That's what people respond to. People can be good authors without being good at every single subset or skill involved in the process of story-telling. Tolkien happened to be mediocre in several and a savant in a few. If you really like him, you should like him enough to enjoy him for what he actually was, not for the perfect thing you want him to be.

6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    No I don't. I am not a Legolas fanboy but Tolkien fleshed him out much better than George fleshed out Greedo (and for good reason, Greedo has like 10 seconds of screentime).

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I'd just ignore him. He literally does not like anything unless it is either classic Star Wars or it has Will Smith in it.

jp-30 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    lol

Ender Sai likes this.
  9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No, that's not even true Dorkslayer and if you knew anything about the JC you would know the man does not care for ESB.

In any event, he's right. RA Salvatore's Drizzt stories are much the same; Salvatore fleshed out most of Fae'run but Drizzt, Wuflgar, Catti-Brie and Bruenor are all fairly archetypal fantasy characters. There's just no pretension in those books.

Alternatively, Joe Abercrombie writes fantastic characters who are against type and Bayaz is a delicious take on Gandalf.

10. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    There is so much wrong with this I don't even know where to start.

I think I'll just ignore it. I'll have a better day.

Sarge and Darkslayer like this.
  11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Opinions, what are they again?

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Apparently opinions are non-existent nowadays :p

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

That's probably for the best. You'll kill fewer brain cells that way.:p

Darkslayer likes this.
  15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Regarding The Hobbit vs. LOTR... maybe it's just me, but I'm liking them equally so far. I really liked AUJ, and I liked TDOS even more. So for me anyway, they are just as good as the LOTR movies. Once TABA comes out I think it will feel like one cohesive Middle Earth saga.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    As each week progresses, I like DOS less and less.

17. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I mean it was pretty bad.

Point Given likes this.
  18. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    So far for me it is

1. Return of the King
    2. An Unexpected Journey
    3. Fellowship of the Ring
    4. The Two Towers
    5. Desolation of Smaug

But they are all 10s

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  19. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    If they're all 10s, why isn't your list just a bunch of number 1 rankings?

jp-30, Ghost, Darkslayer and 3 others like this.
  20. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    For me it goes like this:
    1. Return of the King
    2. Fellowship of the Ring
    3. The Two Towers
    [large gap]
    4. An Unexpected Journey
    5. The Desolation of Smaug

(I predict that There and Back Again will come in ahead of Journey for #4.)

21. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

That's pretty much where I stand right now.

22. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    1. The Two Towers (Battle of Helm's Deep is so intense and epic)
    2. Return of the King (Undead Army brought it down)
    3. Fellowship of the Ring

[large gap]
    4. An Unexpected Journey
    5. The Desolation of Smaug

23. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    I admit that I am dreadfully biased, but for me all the Middle-Earth PJ films are equal, and I couldn't choose one over the other. There are moments in some that I like very much, and there are some moments in others that I suppose could have been better handled, but I am happy of the overall result, and find that each of them enhance the viewing experience of the other. For example, in what was but a passing moment of grief in FOTR, now I won't be able to see Gimli rushing to Balin's tomb in Moria without thinking of Ken Stott's kind Balin and Adam Brown's wistful Ori, making the sequence that much more heartbreaking.

And as a Tolkien fan, I cannot be anything but happy of the commercial success of the two trilogies so far, because it puts his characters squarely into our collective consciousness, and because maybe, just maybe, it might also give some the incentive to read the books (The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, of course, but also The Silmarillion and perhaps the Book of Lost Tales or the Histories of Middle-Earth) and discover the source material for themselves. It is a boon for Tolkienites everywhere, changes to the original telling notwithstanding.

Lauré :)

Darkslayer, Sarge and EHT like this.
  24. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Nothing compares to the original trilogy for me. The extended cuts helped the films out immensely in the trilogy, but The Hobbit could actually do with some editing. In fact, it didn't even seem Peter Jackson even used an editor for these films, maybe he just filmed everything and stuck it all together.

Don't get me wrong there is some good stuff in those two films but yo have to wade through all of the sludge to get to it. There's more fat than meat. I like one reviewer and what they said, "it's a journey to a less interesting place."

25. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    Actually, his sentence construction and diction are quite good. His characters do indeed have depth, though not every character.

Nice trolling by resorting to pseudo intellectualizing your arguments, though.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2