main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Happy New Years everybody!

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Fitness goals? #changehabits #burnmorethanueat #trackprogress #makenoexcuses #treatyourself4xmonth

Stay healthy LACWAC.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  3. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Here is my annual list of film scores for the year. Some great, some terrible. At least I only went to the theaters for a few of them (thank goodness for Netflix and Redbox).
    1. Gravity, 10
    2. 12 Years a Slave, 10
    3. Frances Ha, 10
    4. Inside Llewyn Davis, 10
    5. Her, 10
    6. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, 10
    7. Before Midnight, 10
    8. Blue Jasmine, 10
    9. American Hustle, 9.5
    10. Philomena, 9.5
    11. Frozen, 9.5
    12. Nebraska, 9.5
    13. Enough Said, 9.3
    14. Blue is the Warmest Color, 9.2
    15. The Spectacular Now, 9.2
    16. Short Term 12, 9.1
    17. The Wolf of Wall Street, 9
    18. The Kings of Summer, 9
    19. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, 9
    20. Side Effects, 9
    21. All is Lost, 9
    22. Fruitvale Station, 9
    23. Rush, 9
    24. The World’s End, 9
    25. Kill Your Darlings, 9
    26. Lee Daniel’s The Butler, 8.8
    27. Prisoners, 8.7
    28. The Heat, 8.6
    29. Don Jon, 8.5
    30. 42, 8.5
    31. Much Ado About Nothing, 8.5
    32. Captain Phillips, 8.5
    33. The Way Way Back, 8.4
    34. Stoker, 8.3
    35. Mud, 8.2
    36. Pacific Rim, 8
    37. The Book Thief, 8
    38. August: Osage County, 8
    39. Star Trek Into Darkness, 8
    40. The Great Gatsby, 8
    41. Saving Mr. Banks, 8
    42. Despicable Me 2, 8
    43. World War Z, 8
    44. Epic, 8
    45. The Place Beyond the Pines, 8
    46. This is the End, 8
    47. Anchorman 2, 8
    48. Monsters University, 7.5
    49. The Croods, 7.5
    50. Ain’t Them Bodies Saints, 7.2
    51. Thor: The Dark World, 7
    52. Iron Man 3, 7
    53. Fast & Furious 6, 7
    54. Now You See Me, 7
    55. Turbo, 7
    56. Warm Bodies, 7
    57. Olympus Has Fallen, 7
    58. White House Down, 7
    59. The Conjuring, 7
    60. The Wolverine, 6.8
    61. The Bling Ring, 6.5
    62. Dallas Buyers Club, 6
    63. Elysium, 6
    64. Ender’s Game, 6
    65. Oblivion, 6
    66. Percy Jackson: Sea of Monster, 6
    67. Kick-Ass 2, 6
    68. Man of Steel, 5
    69. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, 5
    70. Carrie, 5
    71. The Canyons, 5
    72. Red 2, 4.5
    73. The Fifth Estate, 4
    74. The Counselor, 4
    75. The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, 4
    76. Gangster Squad, 4
    77. Jack the Giant Slayer, 4
    78. Oz the Great and Powerful, 4
    79. Jobs, 3.8
    80. The Lone Ranger, 3.5
    81. 47 Ronin, 3.2
    82. We’re the Millers, 3
    83. Only God Forgives, 3
    84. G. I. Joe: Retaliation, 3
    85. The Hangover Part III, 2.5
    86. The Host, 2
    87. The Internship, 1.5
    88. Paranoia, 1
    89. Planes, 1
    90. The Big Wedding, 1
    91. Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters, 1
    92. Identity Thief, 0.5
    93. R.I.P.D., 0.5
    94. After Earth, 0.2
    95. Getaway, 0.1
    96. Escape From Planet Earth, 0
    97. Grown-Ups 2, 0
    98. Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor, 0

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    After going on a night time bike ride around the island where I'm staying this week, I made another resolution: more night time hikes. The nature preserves in Charlotte do one every full moon and they're glorious.

I am so zen right now. Like, "I could almost watch Mortis without wine" zen.

5. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013

"Come, don't be shy. Step into the light. There is something about you...something you carry...something made of gold...but far more precious."

Easily one of my favorite scenes in TDoS. CumberSmaug. :cool:

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That scene... is just awesome. =D=

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I never read the Hobbit, so I was merely enjoying it on its merits as to how good the story is and how well it meshes to the other installments of the Hobbit-LOTR tale (on film). I didn't care for An Unexpected Journey at all, and had no intention of seeing Desolation of Smaug in theaters, but ended up seeing it on a spur of the moment trip to the theater with the hopes of once again seeing Wolf of Wallstreet, but having to wait an hour an a half, or going to see DoS immediately.

I thought it was a huge step up from the first film, and things like Legolas' appearance didn't bother me at all. I don't know where the film deviates from the novel and where it doesn't, but I saw no clear break in the tone of the film to make it apparent to me that any of it was original material tacked onto Tolkien's story

When it came to Smaug himself, I felt like the scenes themselves with him were good, but that they ran waaaay too long. My only other complaint about him was that I wish that Bilbo hearing him speak, that they had followed the lead of the scene earlier on with the
    spiders, in which he can understand them when he wears the ring.
    . I know that he speaks freely in the book, but it was still just a little jarring to have a talking dragon to me on film, when up til then only the human and human-like races could speak whatever the common language is meant to be. It would have been a little creative license, but I also think it would give purpose and foreshadowing to that earlier scene.

But I'm otherwise looking forward to the final installment after the absolute bore (IMO) of the first film.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I really liked DoS, it was better than Unexpected Journey for me, in spite of having to hide my eyes during the spider scene and actually getting nauseated at the initial flash of pincers. (Yeah, I probably need help.)

I was a bit thrown off by Smaug talking though. I just ignored it because Cumberbatch.

Tauriel was awesome, I don't care that she was made up just for the movies. But...I wish Jackson hadn't made her a love interest for anyone.

For those who remember the Very Secret Diaries of Legolas the Elf from the LOTR movie days...Legolas had to be there, because he's still the prettiest.

Maybe. His father is prettier, and wears more eye makeup than I do.

I did enjoy the film, and my youngest is now an LOTR fan, so...mission accomplished.m :D

EHT, TaradosGon and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    So I'm doing some shoveling outside and what should come on my iPod but the "Ice Planet Hoth" track from the ESB soundtrack. XD

At least today was warmer than yesterday. And by warmer I mean high 20s vs low tens. :p

And yeah, I liked DOS better than AUJ. I still think there's too much padding and it should have been no more than 2 films, but whatever, it is what it is. Cumbersmaug was pretty great, and we'll really get to see him in action in the last film. :D

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I just saw a picture of Boston on the news. Holy snow piles the height of wampas, Batman.

We're hitting record lows in Charlotte this week; yesterday morning I was still in south Florida and even there, I wanted a sweatshirt when I went on my run.

You all who are getting all the snow and ice...stay safe. The pictures from the icy roads and bridges aren't pretty.

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah... the forecasted low for Atlanta on Monday night is 5 degrees F.

12. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    Up here in chicago, the high monday is -13 degrees F

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Supposedly on monday or tuesday in Ohio the low will be -20 with a windchill of -40. Supposedly anyway.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's colder in Manitoba than it is on the surface of Mars.

I like cold weather but that's too much for me.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If it gets us out of classes for a day or two I won't complain.

16. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    I'm using the days off work that come with the cold to stay inside and work on my Fives helmet...

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    We're supposed to get freezing rain tomorrow night and I'm crossing my fingers for a delay going to work Monday.

18. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Speaking of smartphones, apparently they want to create 3D hologram phones within the next five years.

Here's how it's supposed to work:
    Sounds pretty nifty. We may be able to see full-size holograms of people like in Star Wars! As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, I thought this technology wouldn't become widespread until the latter half of the 21st century, but we may be seeing this within the decade. Very exciting.

Furthermore, they claim that "in the future, we could see fully holographic rooms in which 3D objects could be viewed from every angle." Now that's the kind of technology I'm talking about! It's pretty cool how so many of the technologies we take for granted today started off as inspirations from various sci-fi franchises, like Star Trek and of course, Star Wars. This is just one example that will probably come to fruition within our lifetimes.

19. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003

I think in one of those History Channel documentaries it was mentioned that the cellular phone was inspired by the Star Trek communicators, but I feel like that invention had a very practical purpose in being able to communicate from anywhere without being restricted to a landline.

A hologram just seems like a novelty invention. Having a Star Wars style glowing head of someone projected in front of me seems like it would have zero purpose other than "this is kind of like Star Wars, neat!"

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I see where you're coming from, but I suspect the next major innovation in computers, maybe a decade or two down the line, will be holograms. As in, we won't be carrying laptops around -- the interface itself will be a hologram. It could be projected from a device the size of an iPhone or thumb drive. Or something installed in the walls of a house (which isn't useful outside, hence we'd need something portable...).

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    In 1895, Jules Verne wrote a short story about an American man communicating with his wife in Paris via a screen in which he could see her and the room she was in. I use it when I'm teaching science fiction and the idea that some sci if concepts have become reality. If Jules Verne knew Skype and FaceTime in 1895, I can see holograms happening.

22. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I think some of those inventions though reflect a universal desire.

I hate flying. It took me roughly 6 hours to get from Michigan to Idaho. About an hour and a half of it is layover, then the time it takes to taxi out onto the runway and to the gate, load and unload, etc.

Yeah, I wish I could teleport from point A to B and be done with it in two seconds. If someone ever invents such a think hundreds of years from now, people will probably say that it's imitating Star Trek or something, when I think such a desire would have existed regardless of Star Trek. The idea exists in Star Trek to begin with because it's reflective of a human desire, not because Gene Roddenberry was ahead of his time and envisioning technology that other people couldn't have even begin to imagine.

Same with things like warp speed/hyperspace/faster than light travel. I don't know what sci-fi franchise thought that up first, but even if Star Trek, Star Wars, and Battlestar Galactica all never existed, I think the curiosity and drive to explore and the realization that we're not going to get very far in space with current technology would cause physicists to explore such theoretical possibilities as going faster than the speed of light, because even at the speed of light, you're not going anywhere fast.

Circular Logic likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Attention all Back to the Future fans, people who need to stop wasting their lives and go watch Back to the Future, and people who shouldn't tell me they don't like Back to the Future lest I decide their opinion on all subjects is not worthy of consideration:

Look what the oldest boy and I built. It took two days; it has 401 pieces, some small enough to warrant need for a microscope. It also has moveable wheels and doors and an "OUTATIME" license plate.

If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    My best friend saw Back to the Future for the first time like 4 years ago... He subsequently bought a poster for the movie, a shirt with the Back to the Future title all across the front, a toy Delorean, and went to a Halloween party as Doc Brown.

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    All three movies were actually on TV earlier. Part 2 made me think of this thread and the future technology discussion. While it got most stuff wrong, it got some stuff right, or close to right at least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.