main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Sequel Trilogy space battles

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MillenniumFalcon2015, Sep 4, 2013.

?

What kind of space battles do you want to see in the Sequel Trilogy?

1. A space battle near a starship yard like Kuat or Fondor or near a black hole or in a nebula

71.4%
  2. A space battle with thousands of ships duke out in the Unknown Regions or outside the galaxy

48.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I can't wait to see what they do with the space battles in the ST.

Lee_, Echo-07 and darklordoftech like this.
  2. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I agree with Kenobi098 . I think the biggest thing is that, at some point in the ST, we need to get a climactic space battle that is the single focus of the scene. No cutting away to a lightsaber duel, no cutting away to a ground battle. An outer space Braveheart-style clash that tells a story in and of itself. The focus should be less on how much stuff is packed into the screen (though if it happened to be the biggest battle of the saga, I wouldn't complain), and more about the speed of the ships, the hard impact of a fighter crashing into the side of a cruiser, the pulsing repetition of turbolaser fire. Intensity, consequence, TENSION. We haven't truly gotten such a scene since ANH. And with ILM's capabilities circa 2015, the potential is incredible.

TheManFromMortis, Ryus, Sarge and 5 others like this.
  3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    THIS!!!!!!! We need to be reminded why it's called "Star Wars".

TheManFromMortis, Ryus, TKT and 3 others like this.
  4. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    The PT gave me my second favorite land battle (Battle of Geonosis) and I loved some of the teaser glimpses in ROTS.

But it failed at providing space battles anywhere approaching the level of excitement seen in the OT. TPM skirmish above Naboo was a joke. The ROTS battle is gorgeous and words extremely well as a backdrop to Anakin and Obi's mission, but it was never given any real focus.

I'm wide open for whatever the new team wants but I do hope we get at least one spacefight with the scale and focus of the Battle of Endor. That's my personal favorite air/space film battle ever.

FRAGWAGON, Ryus, Sarge and 1 other person like this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Battle of Endor still had a lot of "cutting back and forth" - but it makes a good startung point. What it lacked was clear and obvious scenes of capital warships destroying other warships - it was hard to tell what was responsible for any particular ship exploding.

Maybe we could see all the batteries on one capital ship, firing at another, at once- the shields visibly collapsing- and the shots each melting or vaporizing part of the ship.

6. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    And to think that was 30 years ago. I watched it recently and I am always impressed with how it holds up: amazingly. What a showcase.

Ryus, Sarge and jaqen like this.
  7. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    I think that only ROTS' opening space battle matches J. J.'s battles in his two ST. Not his two sequel trilogies, his two Star Trek movies. :)
    The battle in Ep 1 was OK, but it's drowned into final battles' collage.
    Ep 2 had an asteroid chase. It was good.
    Ep 4 had that Death Star battle, but when you think about it (You must go through this trench! There is no other way! or the fact that the DS requires 30 minutes to orbit Yavin), it becomes ridiculous.
    Ep 5 had another asteroid chase, and that one was good too.
    Ep 6 had a great battle, but the medical frigate? An opening to the main reactor? Destruction of the shield generators? The devil's in the details.
    What do I want? I want grand and amazing battles with new and imaginitive spaceships in a new and beautiful scenery; gas giants, nebulas, desolate moons, I want spaceships falling on barren moon surfaces, space commandos fighting in space in their space suits, battle stations which are not the DS and so on. Judging by these Star Trek movies, it's fair to assume we'll get beautiful and visually complex battles, the rest is open for speculation.

8. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Really Visivious Drakarn, you're picking apart the OT space battles while suggesting TPM's abysmal space battles was alright except that it got "drowned" in a collage? Or that AOTC's pointless, dull asteroid chase was "good" but Star War's famous trench run is "ridiculous"?

I do however love the scale and scope of the type of battles you're describing for future fare.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Yes.

It wasn't pointless and I don't find it dull. On the other hand, TESB's asteroid chase...

Yes, I see it that way. Why, oh, why they must fly through that trench when the opening to the main reactor of the most powerfull space station in space ever lies on top of the surface?

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Because the surface is covered in turbolasers- which are much better at hitting things above the trench (huge numbers of turbolasers firing at the same target) than they are at hitting things flying down the trench (only a few can fire at starfighters).

danmcken, Ryus, QsAssistant and 5 others like this.
  11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Jango vs Obi in the asteroid field was creative; I hope they do some of that sort of thing in the ST (different kinds of weapons and such).

12. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    The Phantom Menace space battle was really weak and rather silly. It got bogged down by kid Anakin and even if he wasn't in the fight, it was still weak; it had no characters we really cared about.
    Attack Of The Clones space battle/chase was the best one of the whole PT but I feel ESB did it better. It was cool though, because it kind of felt like a James Bond car chase in space.
    Revenge Of The Sith space battle really wasn't much of one. We got to see a whole lot going on in the background but none of it up close. It focus too much on Obi-Wan and Anakin's problems and not the battle as a whole. Other wise it could've been the best battle of the saga.
    A New Hope was awesome because we got to see everything. It was probably the smallest scale battle of the entire saga (not counting the chase in AOTC and ESB) and yet, IMHO, it was the best one.
    The Empire Strikes Back like I said above, it was an awesome chase scene. I hope the ST has one and if tradition holds up, it'll be in Episode VIII.
    Return Of The Jedi has the second best space battle of the entire saga. It was the only large scale battle that we actually get to see everything. It's one of the best parts of ROTJ.

So in other words, I really hope the space battles/chases for the ST are more like the OT.

Ryus, Sarge, Han Burgundy and 2 others like this.
  13. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I can already tell you what space battles will be like in the ST:

pew pew pew BANG lock x-foils in attack position pew pew pew

FRAGWAGON and Mange like this.
  14. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Like X1000, great post.

The only place I would disagree is that I would put the ROTJ as #1.

The end of ANH (as you allude to) is a little too sparse for a what is supposed to be a large scale space battle between major factions. This wasn't by choice though; they just weren't capable of more in the mid70's; what they DID do was amazing for that time.

Not only are a lot of the OT space battles amazing for THAT time, they are amazing period. Other than ANH looking a little sparse, I think the space scenes (as far as when they show the ships flying and fighting) STILL don't look antiquated to this day.

Also, love that you put that ROTS could have been the best of the series (totally agree); I love that one, but wanted to see more of the battle. I think there will be some epic space battles in the ST.

Ryus, Iron_lord and QsAssistant like this.
  15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    in ANH, the space battle was more important than the lightsaber duel. That would be cool to see again.

danmcken, Ryus, QsAssistant and 3 others like this.
  16. QsAssistant

Apr 13, 2011
    Lee_
    I like how you and I are almost the same in our thought process of Star Wars. Even our signatures, at the bottom of our posts, are almost the same. I'll admit, there are times I feel like switching 'Jedi' and 'Sith'.
    ROTJ space battle is a close second for me. I think I like ANH slightly better because it didn't need to be a gigantic battle. We got to pretty much see everything that was happening and it just had an intense feeling with every scene. It was about a small band of rebels that went up against the odds and succeeding. I've always been a sucker for stories like that, which is why at times I struggle with wanting to put ANH in my #1 spot.

17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    The commonalities apparently don't stop with SW if I am not mistaken- is that Deckard in you AV? One of my top 10 favorite movies of all time, story written by perhaps my favorite Sci Fi writer of all time.

QsAssistant likes this.
  18. QsAssistant

Apr 13, 2011
    Lee_
    Yes it is! Blade Runner is one of my favorite sci-fi movies! I hear Ridley Scott is planning on making another movie too! The only thing in question is, is it a prequel, sequel, or something else entirely?

19. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    That's awesome. Have you heard anything about Harrison being in it? Could be great without him if anything near the first classic, but would be good to have him in it.

20. QsAssistant

Apr 13, 2011
    Lee_
    I think he was asked about it in an interview awhile back. He really couldn't say much because he really didn't know much. I think he said something along the lines of really enjoying the character and would be up for playing Deckard again! Ridley Scott said he was going to start preparing for another movie set in the Blade Runner universe after the release of "Prometheus". It's been out for awhile now and I haven't heard much, so I'm not sure what's going on.
    A little fun fact for you, in case you didn't know. One of the producers of "Blade Runner" was a producer on the movie "Soldier", and he considers "Soldier" to be set in the same universe as "Blade Runner". There are even some references to events that were mentioned in "Blade Runner" scattered throughout "Soldier"!

Lee_ likes this.
  21. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I'll keep an eye out for it, I can't think of a movie I would rather see a sequel to that has no other sequels. Hope Harrison decides to be in it; IMO his best role other than Han.

I'll have to watch Soldier again. I briefly saw part of it some years back, didn't realize what you are saying about it.

22. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Anything but a big ol' warship face-off like in the last three Trek movies.

23. QsAssistant

Apr 13, 2011
    Lee_
    I know one of the references is a war that is mentioned in "Blade Runner" is a war that Todd has tattooed on his arm as one of the wars he fought in. There are a few others but I can't remember them.

Lee_ likes this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Soldier is garbage. Poor Kurt looked sad the whole entire time.

25. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Best thing about Soldier is that it is totally an 80s movie that somehow managed to come out in 1998.

FRAGWAGON and darklordoftech like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.