main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is Hayden's Anakin iconic?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by LordThanatos, Dec 15, 2013.

?

Is Hayden's Anakin iconic?

1. Yes

45.7%
  2. No

54.3%
  1. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    JEDI-RISING
    I completely agree with you. I can't tell you how many times I went to the theater and loved the movie I saw, excited to come home and talk about it online, only to have it bashed and broke down by some opinionated jerk(s). You can't even go to a web site dedicated to the movie(s) you love and talk about it without someone criticizing it. For example, there's always someone around to bash the PT on this website, even though we're under a PT thread.

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I know them: David Prowse (suit), Sebastian Shaw (old), and James Earl Jones (voice). No, I personally don't think Hayden's Anakin is iconic. I do agree he was somewhat hindered by GL's handling though.

TheWatcher likes this.
  3. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I would not say that always is the case.
    Take "Batman Begins." Did pretty good at the BO and with reviews. "The Dark Knight" made a lot more and got lots of rave reviews. And most people I know who liked BB, liked TDK even more.
    Did some of the fans of BB dislike it? Probably some did but I'd wager they were not all that many.

Or take Spiderman and Spiderman 2. Again Spiderman 2 got on the whole better reviews and many seem to prefer it to the first film.

Not really new films but compare Star Trek: TMP with Star Trek 2: TWoK. The latter is probably the most "classic" and well known of the Trek films.

And more old films but take Terminator and compare with Terminator 2.

If we are talking about film trilogies, take the LotR trilogy or back to Nolan's Batman trilogy.
    There are sure some that dislike some of the films but overall they are well liked all three.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

Barbecue17 and V-2 like this.
  4. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    but remember when The Dark Knight Rises came out....a lot of people did not like the direction of that movie.

5. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    Why do people forget Bob Anderson

TheWatcher and Force Smuggler like this.
  6. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Most people haven't got a clue who David Prowse or Sebastian Shaw are.

LordThanatos likes this.
  7. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    There are many more critically and commercially successful sequels than the ones mentioned, but the poster child for them is ESB itself. Come on guys, you really haven't mentioned it yet?

8. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    Neither GL's script nor Hayden's acting enabled The PT's Anakin to be truly iconic.

And he should have been...but the fact of the matter is that when something is iconic it stands the test of time....but this Anakin is one snoby brat of JERK like proportions. A co-dependent moody protagonists.

Come to think of it, Hayden's portrayal is iconic of bad acting.

9. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    So it takes a bad actor to come across as a snobby-brat and be seen as an epic JERK of a moody, co-dependent protagonist?
    Interesting.

I'm not saying HC's performance was Oscar-worthy, but I wonder how many times George yelled "CUT!" and then said to Hayden, "Good job." Luke was whiny, so I expected his father to be the parent where he got that behavioral trait from... I would have found it rather annoying if Padme ran around for three movies and complained at every turn.

10. TheWatcher

Dec 26, 2013

That's why I said GL and Hayden....it took both.

11. Jedi Master Cheve

Jedi Master Cheve Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2014
    I pretty sure that happens with every bigger franchise.

12. DarthCider1999

DarthCider1999 Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2014
    No.

T-R- likes this.
  13. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Not sure the Hayden's overall performance was iconic. However, the confession scene in AOTC when Anakin admits his killing of the Sandpeople (to Padme) is some of the best acting in the entire Saga. Anakin exhibited a mixture of sadness, guilt, and rage during this scene; this is something that's quite tough to pull of well, but it was done superbly here. Well-done.

PiettsHat and Iron_lord like this.
  14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013

15. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008

Did he really?

16. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Clearly, Blur thinks so otherwise he would not have stated as much. Feel free to disagree, but I'm not sure what the point is in questioning someone's opinion. I quite agree with Blur on this subject, although you may not.

17. TheWatcher

Dec 26, 2013

Precisely thats why it shouldnt be easy to write. And why so many worthless garbage people try to pass as good. In an age like this Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones can bring iconic characters. Its just a matter of doing a little bit more research and thinking more.

We dont have to accept the garbage we are being thrown.

Its hard to make iconic characters but its more satisfying.

Em....Anakin's portrayal was bad from a writers perspective, from a director's perspective. And from an actor's perspective. Its horrible. Horrible.

18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I don't know what happened to the image I posted, but suffice it to say I agree with you.

19. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Iconic but not in a good way and slightly over shadowed by Jar Jar anyway

20. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    What does that mean, iconic but not in a good way? And how did Jar Jar slightly supershadow anything in ROTS?

21. WAC-47

WAC-47 Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2014
    Iconic isn't really that subjective. Iconic is iconic.

Hulk Hogan is iconic. Shawn Michaels isn't, even if I like him a lot more.

R2-D2, Luke, Vader, these are all iconic figures. They're cultural icons.

Whether you like the prequels or not (shudders...), Hayden is NOT iconic.

Sorry.

T-R- and CT-867-5309 like this.
  22. Maul95

Maul95 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    I couldn't care less what bashers say; to me, he is.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  23. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    Iconic? More like disgraceful.

24. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I'd call it iconic, myself. He portrayed the character the way he was meant to be portrayed. Full of angst, unhappy with his station in life, grossly afraid of losing his loved ones. He changed the way we view Darth Vader. What once was a character who was a one dimensional villain that has a very sudden change of heart in ROTJ, we now have a full story arc thanks to Hayden's portrayal in the prequels. Some may not like it, but a whole generation of fans look at Anakin Skywalker, through his rise, fall and redemption, as their favorite Star Wars character.

LordThanatos likes this.
  25. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I don't blame Hayden. I think he did a good job with what he was given. I blame the writing. So, I would have to vote No.