main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Altair You a New One: The Assassin's Creed Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, May 14, 2010.

1. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    I believe Oliver Bowden is a pseudonym, he's the fictional character that's in charge of Abstergo Entertainment in Black Flag. But from what I can tell the books are all still written by the same author, Anton Gill.

I know there's adaptions of Brotherhood, Revelations and Black Flag but I believe there's an original story for Altiar, Ezio and Connor as well.

Edit: Forsaken, Renaissance and The Secret Crusade. They may borrow some from their respective games it looks like.

2. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Olivier Garneau and Oliver Bowden are not the same person. Garneau was all over "interactive experiences", I don't think he'd be into novels. There's adaptations of II, III (from Haytham's perspective) and The Secret Crusade covers the original game, Bloodlines and Altair's Revelations memories.

Contessa and Mia Mesharad like this.
  3. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    Duur my bad. I was just going off Olivier. I definitely want to get into these though.

4. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    The graphic novels aren't too bad either if that interests you.

Contessa likes this.
  5. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I downloaded a sample of the Assassin's Creed 2 novelization to my Nook. It was awful. The writing is just so...blah.

Contessa and 07jonesj like this.
  6. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, the novels just...aren't very great at all. Firstly, they seem to be based on more early scripts, so there's often a degree of divergence between the novel and the game, which ranges from minor details to "Wait, this is not how it happened." Several of the books contradict each other, from relatively small points like Claudia retiring from the Assassins in Brotherhood only to still be a leading member of the hierarchy in Revelations, to the now semi-infamous Rodrigo suicide at the end of the AC2 novel Renaissance. Bowden also makes some odd choices with characterizations: his Ezio tends to have more of an edge, but prone to odd swings of sudden emotion, while he strained the limits of credibility to make Haytham still appear to be the good guy long after Assassin's Creed III had already shown that veneer to be flaking away, making him appear borderline delusional.

That said, they do add a fair amount of interesting lore information to canon. Brotherhood features a number of cool scenes between Ezio and the new Pope Julius, as well as the search for Cesare with Machiavelli that the Animus deigned to skip over. Revelations details Ezio's original journey to Masyaf, as well as everything that took place between the end of the game and the start of the Embers short film, and fills in a lot of interesting side info about everything that took place during the game. Forsaken tells the end of Edward's life as well as Haytham's fall, and Black Flag does a pretty good job showing the life Edward had before becoming a pirate. The one I do recommend wholeheartedly, however, is The Secret Crusade, which managed to tell a pretty amazing rendition of Altair's life, of which the brief memory fragments from Revelations barely do true justice.

Contessa likes this.
  7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Was AC IV released on PC?

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I feel you could have googled it, but yes. It would be a shame to waste graphics that pretty on the console's limited rendering power.

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  10. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    LOL good pic.

So when do they usually announce the next AC game? It's soon isn't it?

I just hope no more ship battles. It was fun in AC4 but after you beat the game youre over saturated.

11. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Both AC3 and AC4 were revealed (well, a promotional image and the title) in late Feb-early March, so we've probably got around another month to go before any news. Revelations, on the other hand, didn't get a proper reveal until E3.

Agree with the naval combat. I cannot be bothered to upgrade my ship by collecting 5000 Metal all over again.

I picked up the first three French AC comics a couple of days ago, translated into English. They're pretty fun. Oddly enough, they are very modern-day focused, with the Animus stuff being the B-plot. Only the stuff in the Animus is canon to the series, as the modern day storyline is an AU.

Contessa and Mia Mesharad like this.
  12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Out of curiosity, did anyone else have major pixel/shadow shimmering graphics problems with AC4? I'm running the Wii U version, but even in comparison videos it's not something present. Looking around at posts a couple months ago, there was apparently a 1080p update for the game that affected all platforms with the pixel shimmering problem- so it's possible those comparison videos were made before the update was applied.

Anyways, I haven't seen any word of a fix being distributed for any platform (outside of folks reinstalling the game and avoiding the update so they can run in 720p or bringing their TV sharpness settings down to 0 to blur away the problem, which isn't really a solution, IMO), so I'm wondering if it's something else (definitely not my HDMi cable or connection either, as the effect translates to the GamePad footage as well).

On another note- this is the first game where I severely miss having an actual physical manual to reference for controls. The controller hints don't stay up long enough to read some of them and aren't all repeated in the pause menu's info (they'll be mentioned, but the controls to pull them off are not), which can be frustrating when you're trying to remember how to do a leap of faith into a hay pile during an assassination contract (yeah, yeah, they told me almost everytime I synced a vantage point- but I had no desire to do a leap of faith at those moments so I never got the practice- and even then, I synced those a month ago with a few weeks downtime inbetween so I'm definitely not going to remember yet- at least not this early in the game).

13. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I've played it twice, and definitely didn't suffer that problem. I know the second time was post-patch, not sure of the first. Playing on PS4. I also got a physical manual - it has a page for ground controls, one for naval controls and another for present day controls. Odd that the Wii U version doesn't have that.

Final thoughts on the French comics: Aquilus (the primary Animus subject) is a character that doesn't get as much "page time" as I'd have liked, but in the short time he features, I liked him. The comic uses his father and wife to very rapidly give you a look at multiple aspects of his personality. It's interesting to see an Assassin pre-Masyaf, and pre-Hidden Blade, as I doubt we'll ever get that in the games. Rome is, of course, always an interesting location to explore, especially in the height of their power. There's also a nice bait-and-switch on a new Piece of Eden depending on whether you take it literally or not.

I'd recommend it to anyone who's a fan of the AC mythos. A strong, yet brief, period storyline with an intriguing what-if modern-day plot.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  14. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Well, I gave in and picked this up for forty bucks. Glad I did - it's washing away the sour taste AC3 gave me. Very fun!

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  15. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Its weird, cuz I used to dislike AC3 but after finishing 4 I went back and replayed it and I appreciate it more now.

16. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I will never touch Oregon Trail 2012--I mean, Assassin's Creed 3--ever again unless it's to trade it in.

Penguinator likes this.
  17. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I don't think I could go back to AC3, simply because AC4 improves on their ideas and execution so much. In hindsight, if I'd known they were making AC4 as good as it is, I would've been able to forgive pretty much all of AC3 :p

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    AC4.5: Mordor should be out soon. It doesn't at all look like a shameless ripoff. Even down to the identical ropes between buildings.

19. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Does the term "pre-alpha" mean much to you? :p

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh of course, the final release don't be a complete AC clone. :p

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Just starting to poke at the multiplayer mode and I'm wondering if there's any non-DLC naval combat mode for multiplayer?

At first glance it doesn't appear so (just on-foot kill count type stuff) but I figured maybe I need to unlock it or something by getting to a ship in single player first?

22. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    No, sadly it's all on-foot. Though that mode is pretty fun in and of itself.

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    New AC game is called Unity which will take place in Paris

Will come out Fall 2014 on Next Gen

24. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Actually, that's probably it's in-house codename, not it's actual title. Not only that, but the rumour of two core AC titles this year - one for current-gen and the other for last-gen - is seeming more and more likely. I imagine both would probably come to PC.

Images are of an early build, so the city isn't fully populated or textured.

http://kotaku.com/leaked-images-reveal-one-of-this-falls-two-assassins-1547111652

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  25. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003